Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2021, 02:39   #76

Boat: Beneteau Cyclades 43
Re: New Boat vs Used Boat?

Get a used (not old) boat. But on the practical side I would wait a couple of years as the probability is high for the injected people to exit active lifestyle.
Sailboatuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2021, 13:23   #77

Boat: J-Boats, J-27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc9loser View Post
Which is better. Used or new… a million to spend.
New boats are the same as new cars… Only worse. You drive off the lot and lose 30% of its value. Most warranties are rarely used because you’re never in port to use them… If it were me, I’d find a good used boat, save the 40% of my million that I would save on its purchase… fix up what was needed and save the rest for ongoing maintenance and repairs, and a few good meals in my travels…

Enjoy the tour. Right now, either way… Prices are higher than usual.
JMaav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2021, 13:50   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Having a log available is maybe a good thing, but to discount a seller that doesn’t keep a log is cutting yourself short. Not all owners need a log to keep up with naintansnce

Except that without a log, how the heck does ANYONE remember what they did or didn't do, and when?

Lack of a log, a real one, should be considered a serious breach of maintenance continuity.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2021, 14:05   #79
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Except that without a log, how the heck does ANYONE remember what they did or didn't do, and when?

Lack of a log, a real one, should be considered a serious breach of maintenance continuity.

Some of us have a pretty good memory. Maybe when I get older and my memory starts to get feeble I’ll keep a log.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2021, 14:20   #80

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Some of us have a pretty good memory. Maybe when I get older and my memory starts to get feeble I’ll keep a log.

There may have been a time when I felt that way…now I’m not sure..I just can’t remember.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2021, 15:27   #81

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

For what it’s worth if anyone will read this post. Dc9loser has humored me throughout his questions about a sixty foot cat with such limited experience. Not to mention how he is eager to say how many millions of dollars he has. Dc9loser has some good ole crass humor.

What I don’t understand is how people say don’t buy a new boat. It looses value once you take ownership. From my research sailboats such as the one I own if less than three years old and in immaculate shape go for the same original selling price as new.

I do understand a five to ten year boat will have a significant price difference from when it was purchased new.

Sam
Sam Woodbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2021, 16:08   #82
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Woodbridge View Post
For what it’s worth if anyone will read this post. Dc9loser has humored me throughout his questions about a sixty foot cat with such limited experience. Not to mention how he is eager to say how many millions of dollars he has. Dc9loser has some good ole crass humor.

What I don’t understand is how people say don’t buy a new boat. It looses value once you take ownership. From my research sailboats such as the one I own if less than three years old and in immaculate shape go for the same original selling price as new.

I do understand a five to ten year boat will have a significant price difference from when it was purchased new.

Sam
Exactly, it was a myth with cars losing that much value, and is a myth re boats too.
David Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2021, 18:46   #83

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ess View Post
Exactly, it was a myth with cars losing that much value, and is a myth re boats too.

Ty, David - I’m just hoping Dc9closer chimes in with that crass humor.
Sam Woodbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2021, 21:02   #84

Boat: Martin 242

Quote:
Exactly, and this is what I found in my search. Just think about it, everyone (and it has been mentioned already several times on this thread) is looking for that 3 year old boat that the new owner upgraded and improved upon. If such a boat is available now instead of the 2-3 year wait, it will be going for the same price.

Resale value in a couple of years will be a function of supply and demand, which everyone will have an opinion on but no one will know for sure.

Also, you get what you pay for. The vast majority of used boats will sell for the "correct" price according to it's upkeep and features.

If you have more money than time, then I think it'd be reasonable to consider new.
elee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2021, 06:19   #85
cruiser

Quote:
Ty, David - I’m just hoping Dc9closer chimes in with that crass humor.
Mostly people dont answer when they're put on the spot, challenged, asked questions, etc. They spout opinions and dont hold themselves accountable. But apparently they do report yo to admins and try to have you banned for hurting their feelings. Happens to me all the time.
Old 03-10-2021, 09:06   #86

Boat: Custom Marples 40 FC

Newly listed trimaran for sale. Essentially a new boat for used price. Estimate is about half of replacement cost.

Marples CC-40 FC. East Coast Yacht Sales.

Full disclosure she is our boat. Circumstances have forced us to list her. Professionally built 2018 model. First launched July of 2019.
w32honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 09:32   #87

Boat: Southerly 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailboatuser View Post
Get a used (not old) boat. But on the practical side I would wait a couple of years as the probability is high for the injected people to exit active lifestyle.
I think this is true. I don't think it will happen until the next recession hits, however. I also think it may be limited to smaller production boats, but that probably depends on the depth and length of the recession.

Quote:

Sam
Quote:
A new boat costs the base price plus 10-30% in options depending on the boat and buyer. I looked for a year trying to purchase a slightly used boat (less than five years). A less than 5 yr old boat tends to price at roughly 20% less than the purchase price. Otherwise, people would just buy new.

Two things in the past two years have changed that equation. First, prices have one gone up considerably since 2018. You can probably sell a slightly used boat for close to what you paid now solely because the price of a new boat has gone up 20%. Second, build slots are a year or more out (I think Seawind is out to 2024 or something crazy like that). People who have the money and don't want to wait for new will pay a premium to not have to wait. The end result is irrational exuberance.
shimari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 09:40   #88
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I find this issue a lot like buying cars...used or new..

A new car involves" dealer profit" so the second you drive it off the lot, the car is "devalued". Boats are the same.

Most all vehicle makers these days make a reliable vehicle..so buying used is usually not a problem...

I've bought several " used" vehicles and they all run like a swiss watch and half the price of a new one.

I've bought two 'used" boats and the same thing applies, with the addition that a used boat usually also comes with a dinghy, outboard motor, solar panels, ad infinitum.
New boats come with zilch....yes, can be added on, for a price.

There is "used" and "used"....my 2c is that a boat less than 10 years old is usually a good bang for your buck.

Boats over that fall into a grey area.

The only problem I've seen with a used boat is when it's time to sell it. eg, your 10 year old boat might now be 15 years old..and harder to sell.

Most boat owners are constantly "upgrading" their boat, this does not add value to the boat per se, but does give you a variety of things you won't have to purchase.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 10:09   #89
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimari View Post
I think this is true. I don't think it will happen until the next recession hits, however. I also think it may be limited to smaller production boats, but that probably depends on the depth and length of the recession.

A new boat costs the base price plus 10-30% in options depending on the boat and buyer. I looked for a year trying to purchase a slightly used boat (less than five years). A less than 5 yr old boat tends to price at roughly 20% less than the purchase price. Otherwise, people would just buy new.

Two things in the past two years have changed that equation. First, prices have one gone up considerably since 2018. You can probably sell a slightly used boat for close to what you paid now solely because the price of a new boat has gone up 20%. Second, build slots are a year or more out (I think Seawind is out to 2024 or something crazy like that). People who have the money and don't want to wait for new will pay a premium to not have to wait. The end result is irrational exuberance.
Shimari, show me a $3million boat, bought last year, now going for $2 million. Ive never seen that.
Old 03-10-2021, 11:40   #90

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Shimari, show me a $3million boat, bought last year, now going for $2 million. Ive never seen that.
You didn't apply his numbers. You are really asking "show me a $3M boat, now going for about $2.5M". Probably not so difficult.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, new boat, used boat