Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2016, 16:38   #1

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B
New catamaran

General new boat question. My wife and I are in the beginning stages of full time planning. My daughter is starting her high school career next year and we are planning on starting our full-time life after she graduates.

Generally speaking how close are suggested "retail" prices/website build you cat prices to what we could actually expect to pay for a new mass produced cat?

Thanks
Foster
flee27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 00:39   #2

Re: New catamaran

Not much knowledge, but one thing I've learned - there are "sale prices" (discount) that big manufacturers do offer from time to time. "Discount" amount can be different, as much as "fully loaded" boat at base price (on big cat that difference can be few hundreds of thousands $$!).
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 01:15   #3

Boat: TBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchero76 View Post
Not much knowledge, but one thing I've learned - there are "sale prices" (discount) that big manufacturers do offer from time to time. "Discount" amount can be different, as much as "fully loaded" boat at base price (on big cat that difference can be few hundreds of thousands $$!).
i think that mostly these are boats completed for an owner that can't settle on it at the completion. they then sell as quickly to the highest bidder but i have not seen any 35-45 ft cats go for a few hundred cheaper maybe the bigger ones the 35-45 ft ones are normally less than one hundred thousand cheaper (well the ones i've seen anyway) i think around the 5% off retail asking price is what most pay but i could be wrong.
aclmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 01:27   #4

Boat: 1979 Endeavor 32

I think the best bargains are not going to be found in the retail market. Many of these boat begin life as a charter boat. As they are retired from the charter fleet, enormous savings can be had. While you may have your heart set on a new boat, a used charter boat is usually well maintained, lightly used and any manufacturing flaws and warranty claims are usually sorted out before you get the boat. Check out catamarans on any of the major sites and don't forget, Cruisers Forum has a Boats for Sale section too.

Of course it is always, buyer beware. Have the boat thoroughly surveyed by a reputable firm. Whatever you decide, good luck to you in your new life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flee27 View Post
General new boat question. My wife and I are in the beginning stages of full time planning. My daughter is starting her high school career next year and we are planning on starting our full-time life after she graduates.

Generally speaking how close are suggested "retail" prices/website build you cat prices to what we could actually expect to pay for a new mass produced cat?

Thanks
Foster
Old 08-11-2016, 04:15   #5

Thanks for the replies. Our few obstacles with the charter boats would be the maintenance history ( have has read some horror stories) and the fact that we would only be interested in an owners version (3 cabin) layout.

That is what leads to the price question. From casual looking a 1-2 your old non chartered boat is not that much cheaper than the assumed price of a new one.

Lots to think about. Really helps to have other opinions and experiences to learn from and make us think.

Foster
Old 08-11-2016, 04:27   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclmck View Post
I have not seen any 35-45 ft cats go for a few hundred cheaper maybe the bigger ones the 35-45 ft ones are normally less than one hundred thousand cheaper (well the ones i've seen anyway)
Hundreds of thousands - that's for big (55' plus) cats. Still, from what I've seen, discount was way more than 5% (more like 20%). Basically, these manufacturers have base price, and then few "standard packages". Of course, any package can be customized, but when "package" boat don't find new owner fast enough, it might me disposed at "base price" (which is over 1M anyway, but much cheaper than "fully equipped" boat. For smaller boats discount will be less of course. Apparently, big companies, ones making dozens of same model boats every year, might (or might not) have deals like this, depending on market.
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:26   #7

Hi Foster,

I've heard my fair share of horror stories about new boats. I've seen a few things too. Personally, I might want a vessel constructed in better, or at least more optimistic economic climate. I think you understand what I'm saying.

Working with little more than a guess about your needs, a recent search of Yachtworld.com brought up scads of 3 and 4 cabin cats under $200,000. Most were in the 40-45' range. There are probably more than a few with recent surveys. Don't know what you have budgeted for a purchase, but you could do some serious upgrades based on the difference between new and used cats of that range.

My experience with catamarans is in smaller racing cats. There are many folks on these fora that are MUCH more knowledgeable than I. Read the Catamaran threads carefully. Those members become apparent quickly. Seek them out. Most are happy to help and you will benefit from their experience and knowledge. Again, all the best to you and yours.

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. Our few obstacles with the charter boats would be the maintenance history ( have has read some horror stories) and the fact that we would only be interested in an owners version (3 cabin) layout.

That is what leads to the price question. From casual looking a 1-2 your old non chartered boat is not that much cheaper than the assumed price of a new one.

Lots to think about. Really helps to have other opinions and experiences to learn from and make us think.

Foster
Old 09-11-2016, 12:20   #8

Thanks for the opinions, I will have look a little harder I guess. It would be awesome to find a modern cat in good shape for that amount. The only cats I can find in that size/price are 12-15+ years old and in need of a major overhaul.

Thanks
Foster
Old 09-11-2016, 12:42   #9

Quote:
Thanks for the opinions, I will have look a little harder I guess. It would be awesome to find a modern cat in good shape for that amount. The only cats I can find in that size/price are 12-15+ years old and in need of a major overhaul.

Thanks
Foster
I just one that seem to be in good shape. A survey would tell the story. I'll send a link via PM.
Old 09-11-2016, 19:13   #10

Thanks CareKnot for the opinions.

Foster

Tags
catamaran