Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2018, 14:50   #16

Boat: longing for a trimaran
Re: New Design: Maine Cat 38

https://www.sailmagazine.com/boats/b...8-maine-cat-38

Congratulations!
Option for electric motors is worthy of additional discussion.
tatomaceda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 08:24   #17

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatomaceda View Post
https://www.sailmagazine.com/boats/b...8-maine-cat-38

Congratulations!
Option for electric motors is worthy of additional discussion.
Suggest you read this http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2547656
SailFastTri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 10:09   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Maine Cat 38

MC 38 LS-E hull #6 will launch 8/21 in Bremen, ME. Many changes since hull #1.....got to build them first and improve. No shipping components to far away locations for assembly. Heavy wood cabinetry gone, heavy batteries and gas outboards gone. The new LS-E has twin Torqeedo 4.0 RL outboards, Li house and twin Power 48-5000 Torqeedo propulsion batteries. Smaller nacelles with the electric motors. Hydro generate 1 kW an hour with both Torqeedo 4.0's down at 9 knots. Two Honda 2200i generators for calms. Thermo-formed Core-Cell 100% vinyl ester resin infused. Best built production cat on the planet. Light, fast and simple. Sails beautifully to weather at 35 degrees. Singlehanders dream ride.
DickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 15:12   #19

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

@DickV let me start by prefacing that I would love to see this work for you and the owners, but I'm a skeptic and would like to see the math:

1) How much weight is saved, after factoring in generators, generator fuel and batteries; compared with two outboards and fuel?

2) Please comment on my assumptions: The Torqeedo 4.0 is advertised to use 4000w power and Torqeedo's web site compares that to the propulsive power of an 8HP gas outboard. Putting conversion losses or non-linear power curves aside - is it fair to assume a Torqeedo 4.0 powered by Honda eu2200i could sustain motoring at roughly half throttle?

Is it safe to assume sustained motoring performance powered by generator would be like a 38-foot cat powered by 2x 4-hp outboards? Sustained windward performance concerns?
SailFastTri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 14:52   #20

Is the boat going to be in Annapolis this October?
Old 15-08-2018, 15:00   #21

I too would appreciate the math, but nothing like real world numbers from actual experience. I would hope the move to electric was thought out considering ease of ownership and maintenance and not just marketing to a greener clientele.
Now that the boat has gone electric, any chance the cooking range can become induction, and can additional solar panels be added.
Old 22-08-2018, 12:36   #22

Boat: Harbor 20, Seawind 1370 (2024)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatomaceda View Post
I too would appreciate the math, but nothing like real world numbers from actual experience. I would hope the move to electric was thought out considering ease of ownership and maintenance and not just marketing to a greener clientele.
Now that the boat has gone electric, any chance the cooking range can become induction, and can additional solar panels be added.
I won't presume to speak for Dick or Maine Cat, but a few thoughts:
  • The first boat with electric motors just hit the water, so real world data is still to come.
  • See new Cruising World Article. w/ Yamaha 9.9s, they power between 6-7, slower with heavy conditions. Hull #2 w/ Honda 15s reports he gets 8.2 knots at full throttle and usually throttles back to a comfortable 7+
  • My personal opinion, until we have more data, the electric config is designed for someone who wants to sail, so the electric is to get in and out harbor and the generators are for backup or slow longer range + house. 2 Honda 2200s weigh < one Yamaha 9.9. Battery savings depends on capacity.
  • If you want to motor 8 hours at 6-8 this isn't the motor for you. Stick with the outboards, or maybe get yourself a big 10-20kw generator and a pair of Cruise 10.0 (outboards or pods) or the ePropulsion Navy. One big engine turning at 2500-3000 vs 2 small ones at 5K rpm. Let me know how it works out :-) That would also give you plenty of power for induction cooktop, free hot water, water maker to reduce weight of tankage. Reducing carried water, propane and batteries could come close to offsetting the weight of the genset.
  • I have 4x Solara 140w panels, you could easily add 2 more, and maybe a couple more smaller ones getting you close to a kw on the roof, then there is lots of space over the davits if you wanted to go hog wild.
Mark424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 11:41   #23

Mark424. Thanks for sharing the article. I have no doubt it is a great boat.
Hopefully it will be in Annapolis this October.
Old 27-07-2019, 11:15   #24

Boat: Seawind 1260 41’ Catamaran

We can’t wait to experience the MC38 in Abaco next summer! Looking forward to comparing to the modern monohulls and the giant Lagoon we have been sailing at our local bareboat spot on St Augustine
MattHauck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2019, 20:35   #25

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickV View Post
SNIP

I lined up one of the Harken winches with the bow roller for the windlass. Save the expense and weight. Her draft is 19", should not need much rode to haul back aboard.

SNIP
A lot of cruisers like to use as much chain as possible; some use all chain. I often only use chain even if I have significant rode that always seems to stay in the anchor locker. In say 10 feet of water I may have 70 feet of chain (less than half of my full chain in the locker). Kinda makes a windlass mandatory.

I do like the boat a lot but single handing as much as I do a windlass is a must not just because I use chain but also to get the hook up to the roller quickly.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maine, maine cat