Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2015, 19:09   #136

Boat: Pearson Ensign , Sea Pearl 21
Re: Anybody have info on a new FP 40' cat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
Fully agree. I don't see how or why the FP40 should fetch a higher price than the Lagoon 400 when priced for sailaway with similar spec.
Well as a novice, all I can say is that the FP is better looking both in and out. From the couple of boat shows I been to, I find the finish better on the FP and the sales persons more professional. I'd also venture FP has more panche and style but it's an opinion. I am willing to pay slightly more for a FP than a Lagoon. In fact when I started becoming interested in Cats, the Gemini and Lagoon would be the last two boats I would own. Whoops! Have I crossed the line? do I need to go over to that forum and say that
Old 29-06-2015, 19:20   #137
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

No LD, it's pretty normal to like the looks of one design more than another and perhaps FP is banking on potential customers like yourself that are prepared to pay more for a design they prefer the look of. I think FP have really picked up their game since the Helia. When I was originally cat shopping I preferred Lagoons interior styling to the FP but now I see little difference and would be happy to own either from that perspective.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 19:49   #138

Boat: Pearson Ensign , Sea Pearl 21
Re: New FP 40

Different horses, for different courses? Reminds me Of the Ford vs. Chevy word wars.

Monte, I appreciate your frequent posts and tech talk. The observations on deck areas are interesting and I suppose they would align with the lower weight of the FP?
Sounds like builders need to sponsor amateur racing league so we can duke out boat specs for real. Of course the Admirals would just
Old 30-06-2015, 03:00   #139

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latchdaddy View Post
The observations on deck areas are interesting and I suppose they would align with the lower weight of the FP?
Thats not really deck area, it's just beam x length

This compares only if you have boats with a comparable hull / bridgedeck volume and fitout. The build process can make some differences, but not much I guess. From what I read the new FP40 will use infusion moulding to produce gelcoat surfacces inside and outside. That means: No ceiling liners or trim panels which reduces weigth. Also easier to keep clean.
The other side of the story: routing cables, hoses and airducts for aftermarket installations becomes a PITA because there is nothing to hide them behind

To see the difference: Our Lagoon 410 was roughly 90sqm (thats not really deck area, its just beam x length) and displacement 7.250kg lightship.
Older design with slim hulls and much less interior volume
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 03:10   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
When I was originally cat shopping I preferred Lagoons interior styling to the FP but now I see little difference and would be happy to own either from that perspective.
Exactly the reason why I don't think they can fetch a premium. These boats are pretty similar and since the L400 is bigger they will need to stay below.

The only rational why I would really prefer a FP is that they use no wood in the structural parts, bulkheads or hull core. Very little chance of getting rot.
Not that this is a known issue with Lagoons so far but the report on the "Love my Lagoon" thread indicate that Lagoon should probably start to pay more attention to this.
Old 30-06-2015, 06:24   #141
cruiser

New FP 38 footer

Quote:
From what I read the new FP40 will use infusion moulding to produce gelcoat surfacces inside and outside. That means: No ceiling liners or trim panels which reduces weigth. Also easier to keep clean.

Your Mahe 36 used the same infusion molding process to produce gel-coat surfaces inside and out.
FP has been using this technology for many years now.

Quote:
The only rational why I would really prefer a FP is that they use no wood in the structural parts, bulkheads or hull core. Very little chance of getting rot.

The 38 foot FP40 will most likely have balsa cored hulls just like the Helia 44 and Saba 50

The Mahe 36 and Lipari 41 used foam core (NO ROT) and much lighter weight
NB2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 06:40   #142
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Yes I read that about the internal gel coat finish and I would hope they still have internal liners to cover most of it. After living with both I'd much rather have ceiling and wall liners for sound and heat insulation as well as aesthetics. So an internal gel coat would basically give you a nice shiney bilge, which although a nice feature, not really a deal breaker. They may save a few m2 of lining in the wet areas as well.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 07:45   #143

Re: New FP 38 footer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NETNOB View Post

Your Mahe 36 used the same infusion molding process to produce gel-coat surfaces inside and out.
FP has been using this technology for many years now.
I'm well aware that the Mahe uses this. Lagoon does not, thats why I mentioned it.
Quote:

The 38 foot FP40 will most likely have balsa cored hulls just like the Helia 44 and Saba 50
That was the main reason for me to be interested in this boat vs the Lagoon 400.
Old 30-06-2015, 08:07   #144
cruiser

New 38 footer

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Yes I read that about the internal gel coat finish and I would hope they still have internal liners to cover most of it. After living with both I'd much rather have ceiling and wall liners for sound and heat insulation as well as aesthetics. So an internal gel coat would basically give you a nice shiney bilge, which although a nice feature, not really a deal breaker. They may save a few m2 of lining in the wet areas as well.

Only the topsides and house use the FP infusion molding process.

The Hull is vacuum bagged, so vinyl wall coverings and liners cover everything below the hull joint.

At least FP does not use that crappy grey mouse fur. That grey mouse fur is “fungus among us” and should never be used in any marine environment.

I was glad to hear that FP is addressing the square corners with the rubber inserts. Maybe they are starting to realize that their boats are mostly purchased by older sailors. Not many young sailors buying a $475,000usd boat.
Old 30-06-2015, 09:05   #145

Boat: FP Orana 44

Very nice design. I especially like the cockpit layout with three separate seating, good for casual sitting, as well as creating a large table for a larger dinner. One drawback on many cats in view is that the cockpit table is not large enough to comfortably host a dinner for the full crew (6 or 8 in this case).

But I think the price seems to be an issue. I put FP, Lagoon, Leopard and Nautitech/Bavaria in the same category. Personal preferences dictates which boat you prefer. The new FP40 is a boat similar to the L39/leopard40 and doesn't justify a much higher price. The L400 is a bigger boat, much wider.

The exception is Nautiech/Bavaria which achieved a justifiable price premium with the sailing performance of the Open40. The trend in cats is to cram more creature comfort into every new design making them heavier and slower. It so encouraging to see one manufacture going against that trend.
Sail IC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 09:16   #146
cruiser

New 38 footer

I agree that the Nautiech/Bavaria Open40 is a real performance sail boat.

The 38 foot FP40 will be more of a dock party and entertainment boat and a good trawler with the 30 hp engines. The rags hanging from the mast will be pretty much for show and to impress the no-sailors on board.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:19   #147

Boat: Catalina 350

Boy there are some interesting and fervent comments about this yet to be seen FP40. For my interest I would like to see what Helia 44 owners make of their littler brother?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Speeding Ticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 12:54   #148

Thumbs down Re: New 38 footer

NETNOB, I really don't understand why you are so agressive against this new FP40. Is there any personal issue between FP and yourself ?
Pat Nantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 18:15   #149
cruiser

FP 38 footer

Pat,

No, I really like all there other FP boat designs. All there other designs sell you a real 36, 41, 44, 50... footer.

This 38 footer is being pawned off as a 40
Old 01-07-2015, 20:55   #150
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: FP 38 footer

Quote:
Pat,

No, I really like all there other FP boat designs. All there other designs sell you a real 36, 41, 44, 50... footer.

This 38 footer is being pawned off as a 40

The Lipari 41 is actually 39'. A new marketing technique.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote