Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2015, 16:32   #61
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: New FP 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by NETNOB View Post
C
Its interesting that the Rudder is behind the Prop.

All of there smaller designs used to have the rudder in front of the prop
Not sure why anyone would choose to put the props behind the rudders, apart from anything else it moves the weight of the motors further and further aft. Still; - at 9 tonne and 11.7 metres they clearly aren't worried about performance.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 20:58   #62

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015
New FP 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeky Monkey View Post
This is the only other shot I got. I'm sorry I didn't get more!

That looks like an Admiral. An old one at that. And that's disappointing if true
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 01:28   #63

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Not sure why anyone would choose to put the props behind the rudders, apart from anything else it moves the weight of the motors further and further aft.
In most smaller designs the engines need to be placed under the aft bunks to allow rudder behind prop arrangements. If the customers want separate engine compartments, the saildrive ends up behind the rudder.
Mahe has that, too. To me this it's bothersome very few situations.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 08:16   #64
Marine Service Provider

Re: Anybody have info on a new FP 40' cat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wideOpenDDS View Post
As per the super secret confidential info: here is a pirated video from the unveiling in France to the FP dealers. The production method provides for finished glass on both sides of the mould decreasing labor. It's most like the Open 40, but has Lagoon 450 living space. Very sleek and low windage, and looks light and fast. Don't tell anyone I leaked the Super secret. 15 sold. Anyonr want to buy my '14 lagoon 450? I want one! Video https://youtu.be/onRc3lDyvGU

So, what don't you understand about the word "Confidential"? Bad form to say the least. Watch for official announcement 06/16/15.
BYA2014 Atlantic Cruising Yachts
BYA2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 09:34   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYA2014 View Post
So, what don't you understand about the word "Confidential"? Bad form to say the least. Watch for official announcement 06/16/15.
BYA2014 Atlantic Cruising Yachts
Confidential it's only for FP and their employees and distributors.
Customers have no obligation to keep this confidential unless they signed a non-disclosure agreement.
Which at least my friend has not.
Old 14-06-2015, 12:32   #66
Marine Service Provider

The original people that this was sent to agreed to keep the information confidential. You referred to the fact that you "Pirated the information". Look up the word pirate. Is that what you want to be known as? To convey information without authorization is pirating, as you said. It's an issue of morality--respecting other peoples rights and properties. Apparently you find it inconsequential. I know I'm whistling in the wind--but I'm done with this. It's been done. There has been damage. In any case the full information will be public on Tuesday.
BYA2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 14:47   #67

Re: New FP 40

I never said I pirated anything. The price list and renderings I posted were sent as advertising material to a guy in response to an inquiry about a Mahe via the official FP website.
He has never been asked for confidentiality and never agreed to anything.

No, I don't have a problem posting advertising material.
Old 15-06-2015, 09:58   #68

Boat: Lagoon 42

The new FP 40 (a baby Helia) was just announced today. It gives some real competition to the Lagoon 400S2. Lighter (9.8T vs. 10.3T) with larger sails (58 vs. 56sqm Main and 37 vs. 28sqm Geneoa). Space look similar. I also think this may make be a nice cheaper alternative to some considering the Helia (cough- me).

Catamarans Fountaine Pajot
BlueBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 10:54   #69
cruiser

New FP 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBuddha View Post
The new FP 40 (a baby Helia) was just announced today. It gives some real competition to the Lagoon 400S2. Lighter (9.8T vs. 10.3T) with larger sails (58 vs. 56sqm Main and 37 vs. 28sqm Geneoa). Space look similar. I also think this may make be a nice cheaper alternative to some considering the Helia (cough- me).

At 38 feet, its two small to carry 6 to 8 people and gear on an extended cruise.

A boat gets a foot shorter everyday your on it with that many people and there gear.

In a week it would feel like a 30 footer. You will want to throw some of your friends and family over board before you get back to the dock

Its 6 feet shorter and 2 feet narrower than the Helia 44 carrying the same amount of people and gear. Can you say pile in the Phone Booth.

This is really a 2 to 4 person boat for extended cruising.
NB2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 11:01   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by NETNOB View Post
This is really a 2 to 4 person boat for extended cruising.
I agree. In my case it will be just me and my wife (and the occasional crew in long passages). It may be more manageable than the Helia or the L450 for a couple. So it really is more of a competitor to the L400 S2.
Old 15-06-2015, 11:34   #71

Quote:

The direct competitor in terms of overal dimensions is the Lagoon 39. The 39 is 1cm longer and 16cm wider than the new FP 40. The Lagoon 400 is somewhat bigger than that (20cm in lenght but 60cm in width which is a lot).

But you are right about the sailarea. That par they have done right!

Btw... have FP run out of new names for their boats? on their website its just the 'New 40' but What about five years from now? will they call her the 'not so new 40' or the 'about to retire 40'?
Old 15-06-2015, 12:45   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
The direct competitor in terms of overal dimensions is the Lagoon 39. The 39 is 1cm longer and 16cm wider than the new FP 40. The Lagoon 400 is somewhat bigger than that (20cm in lenght but 60cm in width which is a lot).

But you are right about the sailarea. That par they have done right!

Btw... have FP run out of new names for their boats? on their website its just the 'New 40' but What about five years from now? will they call her the 'not so new 40' or the 'about to retire 40'?
My understanding is that the L400 S2 is the real seller in the 39-41 range given its ample living space for its size and performance. So I was thinking that the FP40 was trying to compete directly with it (they likely don't see the 39 as the real competitor since it does not sell as well as (i.e., as many) the L400.

I was thinking the same about the name. :-)
Old 15-06-2015, 13:10   #73

Quote:
My understanding is that the L400 S2 is the real seller in the 39-41 range given its ample living space for its size and performance. So I was thinking that the FP40 was trying to compete directly with it (they likely don't see the 39 as the real competitor since it does not sell as well as (i.e., as many) the L400.

I was thinking the same about the name. :-)
The problem is that the FP 40 is simply just the size of the Lagoon 39. The Lagoons have wide hulls and long bridgedecks so I don't see how FP could match the comfort of the 400 with 60cm less width and 20cm less length. The 400 is simply one size bigger to compare like for like

To me the 'new 40' looks like the Lagoon 39 done right: big enough for 2-4, lighter and better sail area so should be a much better performer

Except for the overstated name and the price. but thats always the problem....
Old 15-06-2015, 14:02   #74
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

9 ton (claimed - I look forward to seeing some real weight figures) with 20hp engines. I don't see too many people sticking with standard.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 17:02   #75
cruiser

New FP 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
9 ton (claimed - I look forward to seeing some real weight figures) with 20hp engines. I don't see too many people sticking with standard.
This is inline with the Lagoon 380 S

20hp engines in this cat will do 4 knots with one engine and 5 knots with both at 3000 rpm.

This is a 30 or 40 hp Cat

20hp will be perfect as a Plugged in DOCK boat
NB2013 is offline   Reply With Quote