Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2016, 05:19   #46

Re: New Harryproa 40F Design Appears

Video of Russell Brown's Jzerro

Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 05:21   #47

Proa File | Multihull Boats for all things Proa.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 05:51   #48

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob denney View Post
Snowpetrel
You can short tack, but once you have sailed a properly set up proa, you don't see the point. This from an observer: " I watched Rob shunt his 7.5m/25' proa upwind up the narrow (30m/100' for some of it) boat filled channel in front of his house so fast and easy I thought he must've had an electric motor hidden in the leeward hull. I would've had a very difficult time doing it in a beach cat without stalling, hitting somebody's boat and/or breaking out a canoe paddle. With the exception of a wind surfer, I had never seen a sailboat with a reverse gear before. He could head right for something, then throw it in reverse, back away and bolt off in a new direction under perfect control."
Thanks Rob. Sounds impressive, Having sailed engineless boats for years I can really appreciate the benefit of having a reverse gear!

My brothers proa has issues shunting, and getting caught in irons. Seems like this is a common proa issue, so it sounds like your rudder system works well. Not really relevant to your harry proas, but here is a video of my brothers 30 foot proa, and their attempt to sail across the Tasman.

https://youtu.be/_qeevNSk-7E
Old 16-05-2016, 14:19   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Thanks Rob. Sounds impressive, Having sailed engineless boats for years I can really appreciate the benefit of having a reverse gear!

My brothers proa has issues shunting, and getting caught in irons. Seems like this is a common proa issue, so it sounds like your rudder system works well. Not really relevant to your harry proas, but here is a video of my brothers 30 foot proa, and their attempt to sail across the Tasman.
https://youtu.be/_qeevNSk-7E
Cool! That is a big trip for a little boat.

I don't know about their boat, but agree that the in irons (irons of death as one owner called it) does seem to be a problem for some traditional type proas. It is some or all of: hull shapes (lots of rocker), CoE/CLR imbalance and windward hulls which are designed to fly so are overloaded with excessive drag when the boat is just getting going. Many traditional proa owners wish for longer ww hulls.

Harryproas get round it with their rockerless hulls, fore and aft oversize rudders (no daggerboard required) and large buoyant windward hulls.
rob denney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 21:43   #50

Those of you who enjoy playing with boats and their potential might find this of interest, along with the $500 prize.
How fast will Bucket List sail? – Harryproa
rob denney is offline   Reply With Quote