Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2009, 22:32   #1

New here and looking?

I have a question about a model. The wife and I are thinking about a live aboard and have decided on a catamaran instead of a mono. I have looked and read a lot about many models and thought a Lagoon 38-44 foot would be nice. I have found a 39' Privilege for a decent price and I am seeking out the expertise of this forum. What do you think about this boat? Cape Yacht Brokerage (Port Canaveral, FL)&

Looks like a decent price for the quality? I believe Privilege is a decent manufacturer or am I wrong?

Thanks to all who can help.
BIgSKy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 23:14   #2

Boat: Boatless
Looks like a good boat and the 2004 upgrades are a plus. However, I live in Florida and it is getting very difficult to sell older boats so I would not be generous in my first offer even though it looks reasobably priced. My last boat took 6 months to sell and went for a 15% discount to book, but then I was a 2 boat owner, always a mistake.

The build quality of Privilege is generally good...but still get a good survey.

Phil
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 03:48   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Check out Dave's website at Welcome to Maxing Out He's a frequent contributor here, too.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 05:39   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I'd prefer the that the throttle/shifters be on my right; but otherwise I'll take her.
I wonder why such a decent price?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:39   #5

I have seen MAXING out's website and have read a lot about his travels. Looks like a good boat he has there. I have emailed the broker since I am traveling there in January and may have time to look at the boat. If I get interested a survey is worth the price.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:17   #6

Boat: Knysna 480
Privilege is IMO one of the best built french boats with good finish details inside and strong hulls. The french like to make their electrical systems confusing and sometimes difficult to diagnose. They are made better than the Lagoon as well, but because of the aggressive rake to their windscreen they tend to have less room in the saloon that a similiarly sized cat like the Lagoon or Leopard. My advice for the first time live aboard is to get the boat with the largest galley and the most comfortable master stateroom over other considerations. Most of these french and south african charter cats are designed for the charterer who will spend a week on board and eat out at night more often than not. Your admiral will be much happier with a galley amenable to longer cruing times and more meals prepared onboard.
rjrendemd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:28   #7

Good points rjrendemd I will remember that when looking over the boat and other boats. Price is the driving factor at this time but we do not need a boat at this time but if the right one cam along we might buy. I have a really good job and health care that my wife and I are using at this time. We are just getting tired of the snow and cold up here. We are originally from Florida and are ready for a climate change!
Old 03-01-2009, 10:41   #8

Boat: Knysna 480
I will assume after that last post that you are in Big Sky Montana. I have skied there many times but we settled here in the Boat. What could be more perfect? A place in a ski town and a boat in the Caribbean!
rjrendemd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 13:39   #9

Montana is right. It is beautiful up here in the summers. Right now it is 0F......yes 0 degrees. It was -8F last night. Had to plug the truck in.
Old 03-01-2009, 14:05   #10

A couple of other things to consider. If your going to live aboard??

Would you prefer galley up (more social) or do not care.
Where are you mostly sailing..? Hot or cooler climes?
reason i ask is that the one problem with the privilege is they tend to get hot. Less space in the salon as mentioned but this & the raked windows allows a lot of sun in, especially in the carribean.
Notice all those "prety" covers over the hatches & windows.....
They're not there to just to protect the underlying surface.. So whats the the point of having a beautifull cat with a great all seeing salon if it gets too hot & you want to put the covers on.
Having said that.. The Privilege is a great sailing cat & well constructed. And the price seems very good.
rustyjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:43   #11
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIgSKy109 View Post
I have a question about a model. The wife and I are thinking about a live aboard and have decided on a catamaran instead of a mono. I have looked and read a lot about many models and thought a Lagoon 38-44 foot would be nice. I have found a 39' Privilege for a decent price and I am seeking out the expertise of this forum. What do you think about this boat? Cape Yacht Brokerage (Port Canaveral, FL)&

Looks like a decent price for the quality? I believe Privilege is a decent manufacturer or am I wrong?

Thanks to all who can help.

The Privilege is an outstanding boat. I've seen this one on the lagoon and she looks to be in OK shape (from 100 yards away). If you like, I can swing by and have a look at her as I live a couple of miles away.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:19   #12

Thanks TropicCat, but I am planning on visiting the area since my folks still live in the house I grew up in on the beach. I will be there in a week....WOOHOO!!!! The wife and I are not very serious at this time, but if the right one came along....who knows.....
Old 16-01-2009, 16:05   #13

Thanks for all who posted tips here. My wife and I just looked over this boat. Wasn't what we expected. No headroom, no room! Owner didn't really take too good care of her. It was really messy on board. Woodwork around the salon door was water discolored. Bottom was painted but the top deck needed refinishing. It had 2 wet heads, I am looking for a separate shower stall. Wife really HATED the down galley. All the deck wood needed refinishing. The staterooms need more room....I know it was a 39 footer. The engines....hmmmmm.....one was replaced, not sure if it was new, the other was original and the hour meters were replaced so who knows how muck time was on the engines. ONAN genset with about 800 hours on it I believe. This boat needs some loving care and had a lot of potential for a fun boat, but it was not right for a live-aboard in our tastes. I guess we need to look higher in the price range.
Old 17-01-2009, 09:17   #14
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Dang, no wonder it's so cold here this week!! You brought your weather with you.

As for the Privilege. These are outstanding boats with a Pedigree. Head room is directly related to windage, which is a significant consideration on a beamy Cat. Few Cats have circumnavigated more than these boats. Are you looking for a boataminium?

Head over to the west coast and have a look at the Mantas. You can see what $500K will get ya.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2009, 19:34   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
Dang, no wonder it's so cold here this week!! You brought your weather with you.
DAMN COLD! I wish it didn't follow me....but I guess it wasn't following too bad since it was beautiful down in St Thomas and St Maarten.....75-85 F down there when we ent, and just got back here. MAN is it COLD here!