Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2015, 17:42   #31

Boat: 1965 Pearson Alberg 35 #190
Re: New, ignorant, but I have a dream!

I just had a flashback to the 70's.I swore I'd never do blow again. Where did you even FIND some in this day and age? Go for it. .. live the dream!
jreiter190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 18:18   #32

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
Dreams are a great thing, hold onto it. I understand the seasonal issue. We are in central Alberta! My whole family takes vitamin D through the winter. A good dream helps you get up every morning.
A possible change up to the dream though, even just to open your mind to options:
Move someplace warmer, take some lessons(with your son and gf) buy the smallest boat you are comfortable on as a live aboard that you can still handle, and get a job for a charter company. Live the dream using their setup,and financing. Gain the experience of of their investment.
Look for sailing charters, dive groups, whale watching, snorkeling, ect. They already exist with everything you need. Let them pay you to live the dream without having to invest.
Again just an option, but could make it happen a lot sooner.
The very best advice on this thread. He is saying start out small and with a low overhead and build on that as much as you want. If your have any bank-roll at all you could do this almost immediately. Good luck.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 18:26   #33

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theother1 View Post
One last comment. When I mention this idea to people I trust (say my parents for example), they are polite but say it can't be done. Why is it I keep asking why not in my head? Why cant I live on a boat? Why can't I make money while on a boat? Why can't I move out of this state? Why do I need a house? It goes on and on.

Tell me I can't do it. Give me some more motivation. But back it up with the facts of why it can't be done though.
You're asking the wrong people. How would they know? In fact, your dream can be threatening to many because they feel like your cool life will make their lives seem boring.

Of course you can do it. Thousands of families have done it and are doing it.

The tricky part is figuring out finances. You need a boat and about $1500-2500 per month. One way to do it is charter. There are some great threads on here about other ways people have done it, though most use savings.

Check mr money mustache, sail loot, family adventure podcast, and sailing totem

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 01-08-2015, 02:45   #34

Quote:
One last comment. When I mention this idea to people I trust (say my parents for example), they are polite but say it can't be done. Why is it I keep asking why not in my head? Why cant I live on a boat? Why can't I make money while on a boat? Why can't I move out of this state? Why do I need a house? It goes on and on.

Tell me I can't do it. Give me some more motivation. But back it up with the facts of why it can't be done though.
With major changes to your plan such that it will look nothing like what you outlined and a few years of learning and practice, you can live on a boat and run a successful charter operation.

Almost nothing about your plan is viable. Plenty of FACTS have been provided.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:21   #35

This quote by T. E. Lawrence inspired me....I hope it does the same for you.

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible."

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
sirfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:02   #36

I have my dream and there ain't anything anybody can say that will make me not pursue it. I say better to at least die pursuing a dream than to die without one. When I finally got my dream I was emotional, it just felt like it was me, and that it would be one of the most fulfilling paths I could take. From then then on I've been absolutely obsessed with the idea. It fuels me.

One thing that entrepreneurs always say, and that is that you need to be genuinely passionate, because if your not you won't have the energy to see your dream through.

A dream you can make happen, but the question is how much are you willing to sacrifice for it.

Goodluck with it!
Intotheblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:50   #37

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:

Yup, a lot of folks just do not get it.

See you on the water.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:56   #38
Eternal Member

Quote:
BTW: Nicky (my son) loves the idea of living on a boat. He does not make friends well so has nothing he is going to lose, just the opportunity to be on the water. We could home school him no problem.
While simultaneously catering to the needs of a boatload of charter guests?

OK, I'd suggest now you're REALLY dreaming...

;-)

My question, as always to these kind of threads, is how do you really know at this point that you'll love sailing? Or, more importantly, turning that potential passion into a business?

I've spent much of my life on the water, there's nothing I love more... I've had numerous opportunities to move 'beyond' just doing deliveries, and accept a full-time gig as a captain aboard yachts either private, or occasionally run as charters...

At least for me, there are few things I'd rather do LESS... ;-)

Good luck in whatever you choose to pursue, but I'm with the others who've suggested to get started by simply doing some sailing, first... Then, do a crewed charter of the sort you envision conducting, and observe closely what it takes to make a success out of it, and if that's gonna be your cup of tea...
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 21:37   #39

Hi Theother1.

It seems to me your dream is similar to mine, albeit I'm 6 years further down the road.

I’m in FULL ADMIRATION of your plans to make a life change. after all that is what I am doing. But yes! Being green is where we all start…

The posts are full of a wealth of information, but we must also consider that all posts are in good faith and the individual perspectives of the writers.

I am an engineer with studies in several other areas that enhanced my business activities in a previous life. After years of dreaming about owning my own yacht, 6 + years ago I started to make that idea a reality. Rather than buying an off the shelf production boat or a second hand “renovator’s dream”. I decided to build my "Room With A View" i.e. a live-aboard trimaran. Much research and knowledge had to be accumulated in a short space of time. Believe me its never-ending and draws one in even more as one progresses.

During the time of my research into the various yacht building techniques and materials, I decided on a system similar to what Neel use and using what many would say the best materials. However, as time progressed, I became more and more inclined to build a catamaran. When I assessed the cost of DIY SE Asia, it became apparent that I could build 2 catamarans for the price of buying ONE off the shelf.. And when I consider 'customizing', the cost just goes UP.

The idea to build two catamarans really came about from the concept to demonstrate and test the 'equipment' of my forthcoming business, i.e. for marketing, and the extra space for up to 8 passengers in a “Luxury Charter” situation. One must remember that any yacht still costs to keep, maintain etc etc. My idea is not to become a sea gypsy as some people choose. In my opinion there are better ways of living your dream.

Being an engineer and hummmmm, let's say an inventor, to keep my costs down I am designing and will manufacture my own equipment as well...... to cut that story short. I will soon release a new Brand name... all top quality gear BUT lower in price...Company motto being “Affordable Yachting” ...Sorry, I'm not actually promoting this on this thread... that will come later... and through other media.

Therefore, whilst my primary reason for me having two catamarans is for marketing my new and up coming 'brand name' of yachting equipment. I would still have substantial costs just to have them moored in a marina when not used.... Therefore, I intend to use them for ALL IN “luxury charters" with skipper and helper. And with a bit of luck I’ll skipper one from time to time myself…

This type of charter must have something unique about it... that will encourage those clients willing to spend $3,500 to $4,500 a day for a week or maybe 2. The marketing will necessitate getting some agents involved. Otherwise you risk becoming one of many who struggle to get the odd “passerby client” who is really only interested in a very cheap holiday and probably can only afford a few days at a time…. So marketing is important.

So I started off with the intention to build a 40 tri, but ended up building 2/ 50 cats… they are 80% complete and due for launching in 6 months… In the interim I stumbled into developing another business…

I STILL HAVE an inclination to build a trimaran, it will be 50’ to 52’… use the best materials and building systems… That tri will become my “Room With A View”. It will be just as hi-tech in every aspect as the cats will be. Designed more for safety, comfort and live-aboard ability, while not neglecting performance considerations, like hydrodynamics and aerodynamics for better up-wind performance. Flat faced bridge deck cabins just don’t it for me! Later this year we will start designing it. It should be slightly less in cost to build than the cats. Maybe we will build 2 at the same time as my partner loves trimarans as well. He also has the facilities and yacht building experience and knows how we can do it inexpensively as do I.

Any way back to your situation.

1. “Sell everything.”
I suggest you do that is stages, if at all.

2. “Finance a Neel 45.”
Neel has many good aspects, but hummmmm also a few less good as well. And financing is like a mortgage so it may be good to look at other alternatives, perhaps similar to what I am doing, so that you own the boats out-right. Of course depending on you financial situation. For $550,000 to $650,000 its possible to build two tri’s, and state of the art.

3. “Do long haul charters in the Caribbean as a private charter (if this boat really can do 200+ NM per day, that should allow a new type of chartering in the luxury as close as can be to big cats). Could I make Barbados in 5 days out of Fort Lauderdale?”
I agree with some of the comments about 200 + NM… that may be possible on the odd occasion when conditions are perfect. Remember Luxury Charter customers are willing to fly to a destination for their “adventure holiday”. And there are many places in the world that can offer a unique experience.

4. “Live on the boat. No cars, no home, etc... which means those expenses go away.”
Yes live on board is nice. But there are on going expenses which should be considered. I don’t claim to have all the answers but certainly I’m addressing some of the issues mentioned in this thread, especially in respect to income…..

“I am about to put together a cash flow sheet (at minimum 2-5 years to START in order to align finances and position, then into the soup so to speak).

I have looked at the amoritization schedule, insurance cost, maintanence, crewing, etc... and the numbers look pretty good. I don't think I would get anywhere close to rich, but the alternative is not anywhere close to rich on land. However, it assumes I could have a decent stream of business. Big questions are”
Yes, determine your financial status, find out how much money you can get together, without selling everything… and take it from there.

“1. is 40 - 50% utilization realistic? Could I book it to be makingmoney 180 days a year for example?”
Depending on where the intended charter business will be to some extent will play a part in how much time your boat is earning. Most locations are dependent on seasonal weather changes, so there are high season and low season.

“2. As a private, can I actually get business? The big boys certainly have an incredible advertising budget and well put together program which would be tough to break. However, I do not see them running the long hauls and it seems more of a motor around the island touring affair rather than sailing.”
As a small operator, its probably good to get in with a group and do common marketing, agents are probably a good way to go.
Yes the “Big Boys” have big budgets!. Dream Yacht Charters has around 500 to 600 yachts worldwide in a variety of locations. In my part of the world they have about 30 to 40 yachts, that operate all year round, along the west side of Langkawi in Malaysia to Phuket is from Nov. to Mar. Then they take 10 or so yachts to the east side of Malaysia for about 7 months.
It good to note that that the eastern islands of Indonesia has opened up to crusing and there are literally hundreds of sparsely populated pristine islands with excellent diving conditions.

I have a lot more questions, but I think that is a good start. Gotta get the dream rolling, or get a new dream!
No doubt you’ll have even more questions when you have gone through all the responces to your posting… As you indicated you are “green” i.e. very little sailing experience. My suggestion is to enrol into one of the many sailing courses. Personally I recommend doing an RYA Yachtmaster course. This is one of the most widely recognised courses. These courses and are held in many countries, prices are pretty similar everywhere. They are also good because you get a week of sailing and a week of theory classes for each of the different levels…. To do the whole course would take about 4 months… you would get heaps of sea miles and certificates for each level… By doing a fast track like this there is a good chance of getting a substantial discount for the course. Once you have reached Yacht Master level you would be qualified (on paper) to skipper a charter yacht and get insurance. But, but, but, …. Experience is also VERY IMPORTANT…

Langkawi, is a good place to do the course, Langkawi Sailing School is located here. Many people from many countries do the course here. Because accommodation costs while doing the theory courses is not expensive, which makes it an attractive place to get qualified. Practical sailing is live aboard while sailing. Some people split up the course in different locations to get a wider perspective and see more locations, but I would suggest this will cost more money and take longer….
Bear in mind by doing a course like this you will actually get a better indication if your decision to pursue this kind of life style is the correct one for you… also it will answer many of the questions which come to your mind. I'm not affiliated with them but know some people who did the course with them and praised them perhaps just google them and read more...

Regards Peter
NLEbE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 22:40   #40

I am new to this forum and in much the same boat as you (no pun intended). I enjoyed very much reading your story and your plans for your family’s future. The courage you display to achieve a dream is commendable. I am in Australia, just to the south of Sydney in NSW. Your story hit a spot with me because I too similar dreams. I have recently retired but just prior to my retirement my dear wife found herself a younger boyfriend and decided to leave me. So my retirement plans have changed and I plan to sell up down here and move north. There are two reasons for this; firstly, if I ever ran into my ex-wife with her boyfriend in the street I would be either in hospital suffering from stress and grief, or in jail for bashing the **** out of the prick she is with. Secondly, I love the climate to the north of Australia and the opportunity for some fantastic yachting off Queensland is a serious attraction.

To sail the oceans has always been a dream of mine and the way I see my situation now is that my dear wife has given me the freedom to realise my dream. I am not rich but I have done the figures and will have enough of my share from the split with my wife to buy a small house up north and buy a reasonable quality mono hull around 38 to 40 foot. I want the house for potential income from rental when away on the yacht (and I plan that for at least 6 months a year) but primarily as a home to retreat to should something untoward happen. Theother1, this is what frightens me about your plan, the apparent lack of a contingency plan. I also have a reasonable income from superannuation but you seem to be taking risks in the income department too. Someone posted earlier that you eat an elephant one bite at a time. That is good advice for anyone, but remember if you have had enough of eating the elephant you have to be able to stop. You need plan B.

I have sailed a little some decades ago, but have had motor boats for the past 30 years and am familiar with the ocean. But I know that’s not enough and so my first step (which is now in progress) is getting lessons on a 24 footer on Botany Bay. I then plan to have lessons on a 38 footer which will include ocean sailing and some night sailing exercises. When I feel I am ready (and sure that this is the life I want) then I will make the yacht purchase, another bite of the elephant.

The future for me, well who knows but certainly not chartering. My boat will be my home and it ain’t for rent.
Keny is offline   Reply With Quote