Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2020, 11:21   #16
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: New Leopard 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Tin View Post
Not likely to be much different from the market leader Lagoon followed by FP for this style of 42 footer. It is a new design, and just like a new kitchen or bathroom style for your house will be attractive in that sense, but in terms of functionality not much different. I doubt it sails any better and if it does it will likely be marginal. The minority skinny hulled dagger board brigade will of course poo poo it, but it does have a 4.7 Tonne carrying capacity for those that like a comfortable life, which is the majority of Catamaran owners (and one reason why Lagoon outsells the rest by a mile).

Consider it officially poo-pooed. [emoji23]
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 04:50   #17

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

From somebody who likes sailing everything and wishes he could afford 1 of everything (!), my first reactions are as follows:

1. It’s attractive as are most Leopards
2. It’s a 40 on steroids with a fwd hatch but no cockpit
3. I’m not sure what it’s intended purpose is vs the 40

Side note: after a mono and 4 trimarans we have a Lagoon 450 flybridge as we head into retirement. The flybridge has a great view of everything and is no problem in blue water, as evidenced by their performances in various rally’s. Certainly slower inshore, but boy are we comfortable. ��

I love the Seawinds, but we dislike the galley down (The new bigger sister has galley up) and swinging around the shrouds when offshore. Great boats though, but pricey.

Everything has its place!
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 20:12   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Consider it officially poo-pooed. [emoji23]
Poo-Poo-Pooed or perhaps PPSquared
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 05:35   #19

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

It is sometimes difficult to sift out on this forum the posts made by the sales reps for competitors who have an obvious bias.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 06:36   #20
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Tin View Post
It is sometimes difficult to sift out on this forum the posts made by the sales reps for competitors who have an obvious bias.

Or maybe it’s his personal bias considering he’s probably sailed most catamarans built?
Old 07-08-2020, 16:37   #21
smj

New Leopard 42

Tin Tin, To answer the post you seemingly deleted, no I’m not a Seawind rep. Are you a Leopard rep?
Old 07-08-2020, 18:30   #22

Boat: a sailing boat

Maybe he has sailed most catamarans that have been built.

Except that this one has not been built yet.

These are renderings, not photographs.

?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 18:34   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

12.6 Metres - 12.5 tonne declared lightships, No way its going to sail well, unless someone has bent the laws of physics.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 09:45   #24

Boat: Catana 47 hull no 1 ex Leopard 40 (2009) & Crownline 250CR

https://youtu.be/Jh6vT60D1is

Seem to have some strengths. Personally as a Leopard owner I like the boat. I’m not to sure about the galley up front for crossings but those that have done this in the other models with galley up front say it’s fine.
MikeFergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 07:59   #25
smj

Just watched the video and it’s well designed for what the majority of the market is looking for, a spacious livable cruising platform.
Even with resin infusion this cat is very heavy. It weighs about 1000lbs more than the Lagoon 42, 8,000 lbs. more than the Outremer 45 and 9,000 lbs more than the Seawind 1260.
I wouldn’t be interested in this cat because of its sailing capabilities but then again most people wouldn’t be interested in the cats I like because of lack of luxurious accommodations.
Old 11-08-2020, 18:23   #26

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

I have a Leopard with galley up. My wife greatly prefers it to a lower galley.

YMMV but she states having a good view forward keeps her from getting seasick when cooking in rough seas.

I haven't been in any "big" storms, but the medium blow 25 knots, maybe 3-4 meter waves, was bumpy, but not bad.

We have the forward cockpit though, and we love it.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2020, 08:45   #27

Boat: Lagoon 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqfishing View Post
As big as the Lagoon 42 is, its living areas indoors and outdoors is not great. The Leopard 40 has a much more spacious and open feel. After all, that is why you buy a catamaran!

Never been on a FP 42, but it does look nice as well.
I just noticed this thread. I own a 2019 Lagoon 42 and (while admittedly biased) have to disagree with this assessment. One of the great features of the Lagoon 42 is it’s open interior and great outdoor space. It’s interior space rivals some 44 - 45 footers. The Leopard 40 doesn't come close. The Leopards, including the 40, are cramped and not as well arranged inside by comparison. I do prefer the Leopard cockpit, but otherwise the Lagoon 42 bests her rivals on virtually all accounts.

There have now been more than 650 Lagoon 42’s produced (closing in on 750 ordered) and it may ultimately unseat the Lagoon 380 as the most popular cruising catamaran ever manufactured. My guess is the Lagoon 42 will outsell it’s Leopard and FP competitors combined by a substantial margin.

I describe the Lagoon 42 as the Toyota Camry of cruising cats. She may not be the sexiest, fastest, or most luxurious but she really gets the job done. There’s no way 650+ boats in four years unless it’s a very, very good (perhaps great) boat. No cruising catamaran has ever sold like the Lagoon 42 and all the other manufacturers are just trying for a distance second place finish.

The success of the Lagoon 42 is no fluke. After the debacle of the Lagoon 420 and the damp enthusiasm for the Lagoon 421 (essentially a rebranding of the 420) Lagoon did not produce a boat in the 42 foot range for several years. The 41 - 44 range is a sweet spot for many potential cat buyers. Lagoon put as much effort into developing the 42 as any catamaran Lagoon has ever produced and it is now paying huge dividends. Many catamaran manufacturers would love to have the Lagoon 42 sales numbers as their total sales, not just a single model.
Jim Woodall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 08:17   #28

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqfishing View Post
Hi All,

Anyone seen the new Leopard 42?

https://www.leopardcatamarans.com/catamarans/leopard-42

Thoughts?
We have a 2005 L40. I wouldn't buy any boat where I don't have handholds throughout the salon. It's an accident waiting to happen. We knew people who had a newer L45 and they had to run a jackline though their salon when they were off-shore.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 08:43   #29

Boat: Leopard 40 Sailing Catamaran

Fully agree w/ the 40 (as we own one). Sure wish we had 45s!!! the 29hps just don't cut it sometimes.

Beyond REALLY liking the front door it serves another great purpose... bugs!!! In areas with A LOT of bugs, they tend to hang out on the lee (so the cockpit) and if there are tons like in parts of the great lakes, it's miserable. The front door makes it easier to deal w/ the darn things.

jBrad
s/v Fuzzy Logic
Old 17-08-2020, 10:04   #30

not the look of a seawind (taste), the look from it makes the difference. If I have to select between a Leopard 42 and any other cat in this size, I select a 1260! Have done that! Try to test sail.
Little John is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leopard