Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2020, 10:51   #31

Boat: Leopard 40
Re: New Leopard 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Maje View Post
We have a 2005 L40. I wouldn't buy any boat where I don't have handholds throughout the salon. It's an accident waiting to happen. We knew people who had a newer L45 and they had to run a jackline though their salon when they were off-shore.

Maje
Sea legs also work well!!!
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 19:22   #32

There's a new promo video that just came out.
rubberducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 12:28   #33

I find this discussion thread interesting. The comment about Lagoon 42 sales in particular is interesting if you believe in a free market and I do, but I believe the lagoons look woefully outdated not withstanding many disagree.

For my wife and I we think this new boat is near perfect. A knot faster on many points of sale versus the 45 and in other ways smaller may be beneficial like the ability to live off a smaller genset/footprint. Here is what I do not understand and is really holding me back from buying one. Similarly equipped, albeit very well equipped, the 45 is only about 10 percent more as options on the 42 are standard on the 45 closing the starting price gap if you take them. I am just not sure those economics hold up when you consider eventual resale unless you see the 42 really developing a following. Does that mean the 42, if we’ll equipped, just pushes you for no more money net, after resale, into the 45.
canuck55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 13:44   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck55 View Post
I find this discussion thread interesting. The comment about Lagoon 42 sales in particular is interesting if you believe in a free market and I do, but I believe the lagoons look woefully outdated not withstanding many disagree.

For my wife and I we think this new boat is near perfect. A knot faster on many points of sale versus the 45 and in other ways smaller may be beneficial like the ability to live off a smaller genset/footprint. Here is what I do not understand and is really holding me back from buying one. Similarly equipped, albeit very well equipped, the 45 is only about 10 percent more as options on the 42 are standard on the 45 closing the starting price gap if you take them. I am just not sure those economics hold up when you consider eventual resale unless you see the 42 really developing a following. Does that mean the 42, if we’ll equipped, just pushes you for no more money net, after resale, into the 45.
What do you think of the upstairs lounge? I think it would be wonderful if you could order without. I can see the use for it in the charter market, but if I was going to cruise with it I would prefer not to have it.
Old 20-02-2021, 14:20   #35

Every Cat will have an upstairs lounge, from now on, all the big boats do already.. It’s physics. You get the breeze at anchor for your sundowner. I will bet you all the money in my pockets lagoon will too, 2023 or 2024...they are slow but not stupid.
Old 20-02-2021, 14:51   #36

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck55 View Post
Every Cat will have an upstairs lounge, from now on, all the big boats do already.. It’s physics. You get the breeze at anchor for your sundowner. I will bet you all the money in my pockets lagoon will too, 2023 or 2024...they are slow but not stupid.

Lagoons have had it already for a time. As you noted the bigger units.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2021, 04:03   #37

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I just saw that #587 of the Lagoon 42s is available for purchase. I didn't know they were so popular.
Warning, rant:
I do have a complaint about the postings in this thread. There have been comments back and forth about the L40 or 42 but it does get confusing because the posters are comparing the Leopards and the Lagoons and they both make a 40 and 42. If we could spell that out then it would be clearer. Also I assume that most are referring to the new Leopard 40 and 42 unless they were referring to the Lagoons, because they made different ones about 20 years ago.

Rant over, back to your beers.
Old 23-02-2021, 09:24   #38

New walk through video.

Really, for a cruising couple (or in our case a working couple dreaming of being a cruising couple) it seems to me this is pretty well thought out.

https://youtu.be/oPU9RqqXu7M
Old 23-02-2021, 09:55   #39

We have a leopard 40, 3 cabin, ( just for Sand Crab!) one of the last built.

Have not been on a 42 yet. But cant wait...soon.

The claim of 65 % more space by adding the upstairs lounge is dubious at best.

Like the 45hp engines with added fuel capacity.

Wish you could order without upstairs lounge, especially for cruising, reasons for NOT having it:
Less weight
Less windage
More aesthetically pleasing (for me)
Reduces area for solar panels
Sure it adds unnecessary costs(assuming you don't wan’t it.)

The Lagoons have that option. You can order with flybridge or sport top in a few of their models.
Old 24-02-2021, 02:25   #40

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Is that the new Leopard 40 or the old one? If new are they coming up with a newer 40ish model?
Old 24-02-2021, 02:42   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Is that the new Leopard 40 or the old one? If new are they coming up with a newer 40ish model?
Hi. We have a 2020 Leopard 40. She replaced our 2015 Leopard 44. They did some nice upgrades on the 40 in about 2018 or 19. This included the aft cabins having island berths and not that silly window you have to climb through in the earlier models.

The Leopard 40 has now been discontinued and replaced with the new 42 that this thread is about.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:14   #42

Sailed a Leopard 42 yesterday and was impressed. A lot of boat for money. Typical hobby horsing in waves that you get with a catamaran . Lot of cool features standard like water filtration, direct hose hook-up from dock by passing tanks, sky lights and more. Leopard open house is going on in Harbor Town thru weekend.
Smoothsailn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:37   #43

Boat: Leopard 40 Sailing Catamaran

Great to hear Smoothsail'n. We love our leopard 40 2015, the only thing we can think of upgrading to would be a leopard 44!
Old 23-03-2021, 13:49   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqfishing View Post
Hi. We have a 2020 Leopard 40. She replaced our 2015 Leopard 44. They did some nice upgrades on the 40 in about 2018 or 19. This included the aft cabins having island berths and not that silly window you have to climb through in the earlier models.

The Leopard 40 has now been discontinued and replaced with the new 42 that this thread is about.
I wonder when their new 40 will come out. Seems like the perfect size for a couple. I'm not really interested in the 42, as you downgrade to two smaller bathrooms for guests instead of one nice large bathroom, and I would typically only have one other couple at a time as guests, mostly none. I also don't care for the upstairs lounge. All that additional weight up high, the windage, etc. I mean, it's a cat, if you want sundowners in the breeze you have the tramp and that whole area. They seemed to really nail it with the 40, so I'm hoping they come out with the next one sooner rather than later. Difficult to even find a 3C version right now.
MountainKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leopard