Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2020, 22:54   #1

Boat: Leopard 40
New Leopard 42

Hi All,

Anyone seen the new Leopard 42?

https://www.leopardcatamarans.com/catamarans/leopard-42

Thoughts?
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 02:40   #2

Re: New Leopard 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqfishing View Post
Hi All,

Anyone seen the new Leopard 42?

https://www.leopardcatamarans.com/catamarans/leopard-42

Thoughts?
Holy s*it! What a monster...

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 03:05   #3

Boat: Ranger 22 #207

Leopard designs do not scale down particularly well. If it's anything like its sisters it will have mediocre performance (not high but not as underwhelming as a Lagoon or something) and a decent amount of reasonably well thought out living area. The forward door is a neat idea but doesn't seem to serve as much of a function on a boat with no forward cockpit. Nice that you don't have to use the side decks if you don't want to though as they can get cluttered with boards, gear, and the like when on extended cruises. Still pick it over a Lagoon 42 every day of the week, if only because it will still have a better interior feel despite the smaller volume.
HellBentSailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 03:42   #4

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

Not likely to be much different from the market leader Lagoon followed by FP for this style of 42 footer. It is a new design, and just like a new kitchen or bathroom style for your house will be attractive in that sense, but in terms of functionality not much different. I doubt it sails any better and if it does it will likely be marginal. The minority skinny hulled dagger board brigade will of course poo poo it, but it does have a 4.7 Tonne carrying capacity for those that like a comfortable life, which is the majority of Catamaran owners (and one reason why Lagoon outsells the rest by a mile).
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 03:52   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellBentSailing View Post
Leopard designs do not scale down particularly well. If it's anything like its sisters it will have mediocre performance (not high but not as underwhelming as a Lagoon or something) and a decent amount of reasonably well thought out living area. The forward door is a neat idea but doesn't seem to serve as much of a function on a boat with no forward cockpit. Nice that you don't have to use the side decks if you don't want to though as they can get cluttered with boards, gear, and the like when on extended cruises. Still pick it over a Lagoon 42 every day of the week, if only because it will still have a better interior feel despite the smaller volume.

Couldn't agree more.
We have owned a 44 in Sunsail for 5 years and loved it. We used the 40 a few times as there were no 44’s and really enjoyed what is a spacious big little boat!
We have now just gone back in with Moorings on a 40. The latest ones have island berths Aft, that makes the bedroom much nicer, no climbing in and out a hole bumping your head! We also went with the owners version as that solved our privacy issue of not having and ensuite.(tough luck to our guests, next time get your own boat!).

We also could not afford the new 45, as much as we liked it!

I really don't like the lounge on the roof, even on the 45 I felt it was too much, more so on the 42. As you said about scaling down!

I must say we will miss the front cockpit just a little, but love the front door. Its quick easy access to the fore deck and provides fantastic ventilation. The forward facing galley is the bomb!!! The interior layout and space is by far the best in class. You can use the stove with the front door open and the wind doesn’t bow the stove out like on our 444. It gets hot in the tropics if close the front door and cook.

Very jealous of the 45 hp motors and the 600L fuel capacity, compared to our 29’s and 300L on our new 40.

We still happy with our purchase but it would have been nice if they let you know as a courtesy that there is a new model on the way! Having said that we would not have waited.
Old 05-08-2020, 03:56   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Tin View Post
Not likely to be much different from the market leader Lagoon followed by FP for this style of 42 footer. It is a new design, and just like a new kitchen or bathroom style for your house will be attractive in that sense, but in terms of functionality not much different. I doubt it sails any better and if it does it will likely be marginal. The minority skinny hulled dagger board brigade will of course poo poo it, but it does have a 4.7 Tonne carrying capacity for those that like a comfortable life, which is the majority of Catamaran owners (and one reason why Lagoon outsells the rest by a mile).
As big as the Lagoon 42 is, its living areas indoors and outdoors is not great. The Leopard 40 has a much more spacious and open feel. After all, that is why you buy a catamaran!

Never been on a FP 42, but it does look nice as well.
Old 05-08-2020, 07:26   #7

Boat: Lagoon L42

Wouldn’t want it over my L42. I like the Leopards and have charted the range from 40 to 45 but there seems to be a lot going on simultaneously with this model. (Can’t wait for the “condomoran” peanut gallery to weigh in on this one)
RoadRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 07:26   #8

How does it feel using a high helm like that in big seas? Scares me just thinking about it. I guess you would clip on then go up there. But damn..... seawinds make so much more sense.
Yihang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 07:44   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yihang View Post
How does it feel using a high helm like that in big seas? Scares me just thinking about it. I guess you would clip on then go up there. But damn..... seawinds make so much more sense.
The 40/42/44/45 ‘s are most certainly not high, esp when compared to the likes of the lagoons with flybridges. Feels fine, only been in moderate 3-4m seas, but cant see that it will be a problem. Allows for great all round viz.
Old 05-08-2020, 07:51   #10

Quote:
The 40/42/44/45 ‘s are most certainly not high, esp when compared to the likes of the lagoons with flybridges. Feels fine, only been in moderate 3-4m seas, but cant see that it will be a problem. Allows for great all round viz.

I see. Never been on one so genuinely interested. Does the jib or another headsail block a decent chunk of the view forward?
Old 05-08-2020, 07:54   #11

Ah yes, that it does!
Old 05-08-2020, 08:09   #12

So I just had a look at the Seawind 1260. Interesting. They have a great website that shows skippers view from helm. I must say it does not look great, very cluttered. Also you sacrifice a lot of space for the extra helm station, but with the poor viz its not much of a gain.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:15   #13

Boat: a sailing boat

Renderings are just renderings. Let's wait and see it on the water.

I personally hate when there is no central rigid plank to go from the bridgedeck to the forestay / anchor area. And it requires a stiffer beam too. Otherwise a cat like any other.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 08:47   #14

Quote:
So I just had a look at the Seawind 1260. Interesting. They have a great website that shows skippers view from helm. I must say it does not look great, very cluttered. Also you sacrifice a lot of space for the extra helm station, but with the poor viz its not much of a gain.

Coming from sailing monos, there is just something really yacht like about sitting on the coaming with wheel in one hand and jib sheet in another. But yeh the cockpit in seawind is definitely more for sailing less for lounging.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:07   #15

Quote:
Thread drift here - but completely agree older Seawind series designs are not as visually appealing as there new designs (1370) But absolutely love the twin helm design from a pure sailing perspective - a nice compromise solution is the versa helm found on Balance cats.
SV-Viento is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leopard