Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2022, 07:43   #16

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: New model Outremer 52 announced

Thanks Matt, I think you explained about the 45 morphing into a 48' in another thread. Big O also makes the 4X which is a lightweight (by 600 kg) version of the 45 I think.
So Outie makes 3 versions of the 45 which is 48'. The third version is the 4.zero which is electric drive btw.

Then there is the 51 which I expect will be retired soon because of the new 52.
Also there's the 55
and 5X which is 60'. That's 5 plus X which is the roman numeral for 10, I just figured that out.
Old 13-12-2022, 09:07   #17

For the delectation of Outremer fans, a nice marketing fly-through video of the new 52:
Flobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2022, 09:39   #18

Sweet boat, I really like it, and it will definitely sell like hotcakes, but they missed the mark a little bit IMO on a couple of fronts (admittedly nit-picking lol):

1) Pivoting helm is great, but the reason it works on the Balance cats is there is an actual seated helm position with a backrest, MFD's, chart plotter, engine controls, & throttle controls. What they accomplished does not make sense to me for how you'd actually use the boat. You want a lower helm position that is protected so you can do everything from that spot, not just steer while standing/sitting in an awkward position without instruments in reach or easily readable. If you are going to copy, just go whole hog and copy, or skip this feature entirely.

2) Personal opinion, but all the stairs up and down in the transom is not a great utilization of space and a PIA. I understand their thought process but would rather have the much cleaner flow to the boat.

3) No U-shaped galley, yep, I understand it makes it seem open an airy when walking around at a boat show, but on passage you want someplace to lean up against. Also, no hatch above the kitchen cooking area, but ventilation looks great with those forward windows so maybe not a big deal.

4) No handrails on the coach roof for moving forward.

5) Only a single cleat amidships, a boat this size that costs this much should have 2, just my opinion though

6) Still a polyester boat when its competitors are Vinyl Ester, Epoxy, or CF

Lots of features to really love though as well, it should definitely garner a lot of attention and orders in the years to come. Hell, it's an Outremer, it is going to be a fantastic boat to cruise the world on!
Kinkircating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2022, 10:33   #19

Quote:
1) Pivoting helm is great, but the reason it works on the Balance cats is there is an actual seated helm position with a backrest, MFD's, chart plotter, engine controls, & throttle controls. What they accomplished does not make sense to me for how you'd actually use the boat. You want a lower helm position that is protected so you can do everything from that spot, not just steer while standing/sitting in an awkward position without instruments in reach or easily readable. If you are going to copy, just go whole hog and copy, or skip this feature entirely.
I'd be OK with the plotter and MFDs being close enough and visible - the plotter is on a pod above the wheel and the MFDs are a stair-width away on the starboard bulkhead.

The throttle controls being at head height could be a challenge if required in a hurry. I guess the presumption is that they'll be most needed when manoeuvring around a harbour, and I'd personally be "up top" with my head out of the boat for best visibility in that situation anyway.

It's very similar to the 55 as far as I can see, though the plotter location does look a little awkward from everywhere.

Quote:
I think there are gutter handholds instead.
Old 14-12-2022, 16:48   #20

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinkircating View Post
Sweet boat, I really like it, and it will definitely sell like hotcakes, but they missed the mark a little bit IMO on a couple of fronts (admittedly nit-picking lol):

2) Personal opinion, but all the stairs up and down in the transom is not a great utilization of space and a PIA. I understand their thought process but would rather have the much cleaner flow to the boat.

3) No U-shaped galley, yep, I understand it makes it seem open an airy when walking around at a boat show, but on passage you want someplace to lean up against. Also, no hatch above the kitchen cooking area, but ventilation looks great with those forward windows so maybe not a big deal.

5) Only a single cleat amidships, a boat this size that costs this much should have 2, just my opinion though

6) Still a polyester boat when its competitors are Vinyl Ester, Epoxy, or CF

Lots of features to really love though as well, it should definitely garner a lot of attention and orders in the years to come. Hell, it's an Outremer, it is going to be a fantastic boat to cruise the world on!

Yes, nit-picking but fair enough.

The pivoting helm is just fine and not a copy, that’s silly. Pivot out when you want to play; the rest of the time and for close quarters manoeuvres you are inboard and high up. Though the high throttle position can catch sheets: see the Sail Puffin blog (they have a 4X, though I don’t think has the convertible helms).

The stairs are good - straight-through transom access through the rear beam is dangerous in higher seas. The HH solution with washboards is a reasonable solution to protect the cockpit, but I shudder to see the transoms that are wide open to the cockpit.

No need for a u-shaped galley and what more do you need to lean against? The table and benches are near enough. There should be ventilation at the galley, particularly above the stove. If that’s missing that’s not so good.

We have a 55’ cat with two cleats each at bow and stern and a single cleat midships - what more do you need? This isn’t a 20-30 ton behemoth that needs a spider web of lines to be safe.

Are you sure it’s not vinylester? Our 20 year old Outremer is.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2022, 08:41   #21

Yes, all comments make sense and I know that with a boat at the end you must get to a compromise. However, I just saw again a video on the Balance 482 by Yachting world and despite having been a fan for it up to now, I must say that ones you sit down in the lower position of the helm, there is a big chunk of visibility at 45 degrees that is completely blocked. Again no boat is perfect but that is something that I missed in other videos.

Regarding Vinilester on Outremer ... I would strongly desired to know as well. The more I search the more I get opposite information
Giova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2022, 08:53   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giova View Post
Yes, all comments make sense and I know that with a boat at the end you must get to a compromise. However, I just saw again a video on the Balance 482 by Yachting world and despite having been a fan for it up to now, I must say that ones you sit down in the lower position of the helm, there is a big chunk of visibility at 45 degrees that is completely blocked. Again no boat is perfect but that is something that I missed in other videos.

Regarding Vinilester on Outremer ... I would strongly desired to know as well. The more I search the more I get opposite information
People considering these boats really need to get onboard and actually step onboard and if possible, sail them to understand the ergonomics/visibility that you just can't get that from watching a YouTube video. If you think the Balance 482 is lacking in visibility, you must really not like the Outremer visibility as it is significantly more restricted, plus there is no place to sit and look forward when hand steering.
Kinkircating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2022, 10:04   #23

If I remember correctly, their standard layup includes a vinylester barrier coat in the outer skin, but polyester resin elsewhere. They claim that makes repairs easier in out of the way places, but I'm no expert on the differences and can't comment.
Old 15-12-2022, 11:17   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flobble View Post
makes repairs easier in out of the way places
I think if they were honest, they would admit it makes them cheaper to build.

Using polyester resin for a high performance cat makes no sense in my view. It should by epoxy or at least VE.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2022, 11:37   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
I think if they were honest, they would admit it makes them cheaper to build.
I've read them reported as saying that too. Something along the lines of "we don't think it's worth the extra expense."
Old 15-12-2022, 13:11   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinkircating View Post
People considering these boats really need to get onboard and actually step onboard and if possible, sail them to understand the ergonomics/visibility that you just can't get that from watching a YouTube video. If you think the Balance 482 is lacking in visibility, you must really not like the Outremer visibility as it is significantly more restricted, plus there is no place to sit and look forward when hand steering.
Kinkircating, I fully agree on having to try the boat, but right now the only thing I have handy is a sofa and youtube 😏
Mine wasn’t necessarily a criticism towards Balance, and I agree that the O52 could possibly be even worse, I was actually realizing that sometimes someone gets stack thinking that an idea is just the perfect solution and then … So, you’re right when it will be my time to look for a boat, I will still rely on this forum but I will mainly visit and cruise as many boats as possible to figure out hands on what is right and what is wrong
Giova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2022, 20:11   #27

Boat: 46' to 48' cat

Poly and VE process the same. And there’s no issue in repairing one with the other.

Introducing epoxy adds levels of complexity. In labor, material cost, turn-around time and not much sticks to it other than more epoxy (repair complexity)
slowNlow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
model, outremer