Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2020, 03:56   #91

Re: New outremer model coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglonnro View Post
I guess. Outremer lists two displacements for each model, so I assume the lower is for an empty boat and the higher could be the fully loaded boat ("ready to sail" including optional equipment, liquids, dinghy, food, people, ...).

Also, I assume there are options to further "carbonize" some of the boat and reduce weight, so the published numbers are just one version of the truth. We have a meeting with them this Friday so I will ask for more info.

EDIT: And yes, pounds displacement!

Wow considering buying one ?

If yes (or even no), ask them the question when you would get it if signing now.
yvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 04:13   #92

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvest View Post
Wow considering buying one ?

If yes (or even no), ask them the question when you would get it if signing now.
Yes, absolutely! We're looking into alternatives maybe 4-5 years from now, so not in any particular hurry. With long build times, of course, that's not that far away either. And I've never ever sailed on a performance catamaran, so we'll have to try that also, before getting too excited (Been firmly in the monohull culture so far.)

I will certainly ask that question if nobody else gets there first!
Old 21-01-2020, 09:33   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvest View Post
when you would get it if signing now.
Delivery for next available slot is 2022
Seahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 14:35   #94

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahab View Post
subscribed. Hope to be able to sell this to my wife.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 04:03   #95

A bit more views :

The lines that we see below the "winches block" are the solent/genoa sheets ?

That's a quite complicated "route", they go through 3 blocks it seems

And I wonder what will be the arrangement for the spinnakers/code 0 sheets, they will go to the same winches ?
Old 24-01-2020, 06:20   #96

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Balance

It's out of my price range but I would also carefully consider the Balance cats. The prices are right there on the website too. For instance the 526 is $1.44 mill base and they say about $1.65 cruise equipped. It's interesting that you can have these with keels or boards. The little one is built in China and the story was there were some weight issues with the first one. All the rest are built in South Africa I believe.
https://balancecatamarans.com/
Old 24-01-2020, 07:51   #97

The big plus of the balance is that it is epoxy
Old 24-01-2020, 13:57   #98

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahab View Post
Update from our visit: only two slots available for 2022, then it's 2023
Old 24-01-2020, 14:07   #99

Re: Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
It's out of my price range but I would also carefully consider the Balance cats. The prices are right there on the website too. For instance the 526 is $1.44 mill base and they say about $1.65 cruise equipped. It's interesting that you can have these with keels or boards. The little one is built in China and the story was there were some weight issues with the first one. All the rest are built in South Africa I believe.
https://balancecatamarans.com/
I like the Balance cats. Believe it or not, ordering one WITHOUT daggerboards saves a bunch of money. Phil Berman quoted me around 40K....but I think that was just a wag.
Old 24-01-2020, 14:13   #100
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
New outremer model coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
I like the Balance cats. Believe it or not, ordering one WITHOUT daggerboards saves a bunch of money. Phil Berman quoted me around 40K....but I think that was just a wag.

Much more labor and materials involved in building and installing daggerboards and trunks as compared to gluing on a couple of mini keels.
They both have their advantages and disadvantages.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2020, 21:42   #101

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Much more labor and materials involved in building and installing daggerboards and trunks as compared to gluing on a couple of mini keels.
They both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Well. if the daggerboards are in the middle of the hull (like ours are) then yes, more engineering, labour and materials relative to keels. But for modern designs that put the trunk along the side of the hull I can’t imagine that is so much more complex or expensive than keels. Unless they’re curved or have foils.

As for disadvantages of daggerboards, having to adjust them is the only one I can think of (well, the aesthetics of raised daggerboards protruding above deck level may not be everyone’s cup of tea either).
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2020, 23:54   #102
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
But for modern designs that put the trunk along the side of the hull I can’t imagine that is so much more complex or expensive than keels. Unless they’re curved or have foils.

As for disadvantages of daggerboards, having to adjust them is the only one I can think of (well, the aesthetics of raised daggerboards protruding above deck level may not be everyone’s cup of tea either).
The trunks are made of exotic / expensive materiels (Kevlar most of the time) , requires extensive labour and are expensive wherever they are installed. The factory quoted 13.600 € for a single daggerboard of my Catana 46 which was broken..
The main disadvantage is not having to adjust them IMO, you don't do that very often. The only issue the extra price you pay for anda bit of buoyancy that you lose.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2020, 04:15   #103
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

One advantage of the mini keel is the ability to protect the rudder in a grounding. We usually drop our daggerboard to just below rudder depth so it will take the impact of a grounding, but I’m guessing in a serious grounding the damage done to daggerboard and trunk would be much more severe and expensive to repair than that of a mini keel.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2020, 23:02   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
One advantage of the mini keel is the ability to protect the rudder in a grounding. We usually drop our daggerboard to just below rudder depth so it will take the impact of a grounding, but I’m guessing in a serious grounding the damage done to daggerboard and trunk would be much more severe and expensive to repair than that of a mini keel.

Agreed on both points, and would especially discourage sacrificing the dagger board and possibly trunk rather than a rudder. Mini keels if not filled with tanks would be cheaper to repair.

Do the new generation Outremers still have a skeg with foot in front of the props and rudders? Our first generation 55L does. With max hull depth of 0.8m and skeg and rudder depth of 1.1m the boat was designed to be beached on a slope.
Old 27-01-2020, 23:09   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
The trunks are made of exotic / expensive materiels (Kevlar most of the time) , requires extensive labour and are expensive wherever they are installed. The factory quoted 13.600 € for a single daggerboard of my Catana 46 which was broken..

The main disadvantage is not having to adjust them IMO, you don't do that very often. The only issue the extra price you pay for anda bit of buoyancy that you lose.

Cheers

Yeloya

Hmm, I guess the advantage of an older boat is no exotics. Our trunks are engineered into the structure of the hulls, but otherwise not particularly complex. I’ve heard of at least one first generation 50 or 55 that has mini keels but I didn’t hear if there was any price difference either way for that option.

We adjust our boards frequently, almost as often as sails (offshore). Inshore the sails get more tweaking.

Tags
model, outremer