Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2020, 13:18   #211

Boat: 1984Catalina 30
Re: New Seawind Model - Announcement July 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
Can you provide a source for that? Because I just used the Texas Parks and Wildlife boat tax calculator, and it shows the tax on $400k boat is $25k. The 6.25% tax rate. Florida tops out; Texas is unlimited.

Note if you dont pay it within 45 working days of sale, there is a penalty.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/form/boat-tax-calculator/
Unless I did it wrong? initially read it in the Houston Chronicle

https://tpwd.texas.gov/form/boat-tax-calculator/

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/pol...k-13999200.php
phlbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 14:20   #212

Boat: Harbor 20, Seawind 1370 (2024)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyofella View Post
Power management:
We already decided we don't want a generator, so power generation and management is very important for us. Balance is offering a super-sized 8kW alternator from Integrel Solution, while Seawind has the 200A alternator, or about 1/3 the size. This should be a big plus for Balance. My main concern is that Integrel Solution is just too new and reliability and serviceability may be suspect. In addition, Seawind's solution seems to be a fully integrated solution where everything from alternator, charger, battery will all be from Mastervolt. Most importantly, Seawind has a factory option for 2kW of solar on the bimini top, while Balance came nowhere near that. This is likely due to Balance having a smaller bimini as well as using up some of the hard top area for the raised helm as well as for the lines for running rigging. huge advantage to Seawind 1370.
A minor tweak. I would assume the Balance has the Integrel on one engine as it's very pricey. Whereas the 1370 has a 200A alternator on both engines. So if you were motoring in and out of an anchorage/marina, etc, the system's max theoretical output would be 2x200Ax14V = ~5.6Kw. (real world TBD) I agree the bigger ace in the hole is the ~2kw of solar. The folks on the Leopard 46 Clarity have about ~2kw of solar (they talk about it here) and it seems to sustain them pretty well with only occasional additional charging.

It seems there have been sizable gains in marine solar in the last couple years. If we get another 10-30% in the next year or two, it will make it even less of an issue.
Mark424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 14:21   #213

Boat: Boatless but working on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair242 View Post
From Southern Vietnam you can do a short hop east to Thailand or sail south to Singapore/Malaysia. Some who sail back to Oz go west to the Phillipines before making their way SE. You cannot remain in Vietnam more than a couple of days.
We are also taking delivery there next year(COVID permitting) and will cruise Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand for a while, possibly do a run to the Andaman Islands.
There are interesting cruising grounds close by.
Sorry, west to Thailand or east to the Philippines. Middle of the night post!
Alistair242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 17:59   #214

Boat: Maine Cat 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair242 View Post
From Southern Vietnam you can do a short hop east to Thailand or sail south to Singapore/Malaysia. Some who sail back to Oz go west to the Phillipines before making their way SE. You cannot remain in Vietnam more than a couple of days.
We are also taking delivery there next year(COVID permitting) and will cruise Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand for a while, possibly do a run to the Andaman Islands.
There are interesting cruising grounds close by.
This is a great plan. I could spend an entire season eating my way through Thailand, Malaysia. Singapore, Indonesia. Then go back for seconds. Great diving all through the region also.
Sparx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 19:06   #215

Boat: Boatless but working on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparx View Post
This is a great plan. I could spend an entire season eating my way through Thailand, Malaysia. Singapore, Indonesia. Then go back for seconds. Great diving all through the region also.
We plan to stay in that area for about a year then take on the Indian Ocean. There are good marinas to base a boat in Thailand, Malaysia and also Batam, Indonesia. In addition there are excellent marine services in the region.
Alistair242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 22:25   #216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparx View Post

Please start a youtube channel documenting you eating your way through Asia via sailboat. haha
Yihang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 05:14   #217

Boat: Looking now!

That was gonna be my plan!
[emoji16]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yihang View Post
Please start a youtube channel documenting you eating your way through Asia via sailboat. haha
Mook1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 05:15   #218

Quote:
If I did this, it would also need to include me ordering a new bigger boat because my weight could no longer be handled by my current vessel.
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 00:45   #219

Has anyone noticed there doesn't seem to be much storage space in the galley of the 1370. The only cupboard space appears to be on the left side of the stove. The galley down configuration of the 1160 have at least twice as much storage space with overhead cupboards and the full height pantry, plus atleast 50% more bench space. Food storage being such an important factor in long distance cruising I wonder how Ruby Rose will deal with the issue. Not to mention there is no obvious place for a microwave and the hatch above the stove is gone.

If Seawind updates the 1260 with the new design but keep the galley down configuration it would be a killer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-08-07 152033.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	220807  
Old 07-08-2020, 05:11   #220

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Has anyone noticed there doesn't seem to be much storage space in the galley of the 1370. The only cupboard space appears to be on the left side of the stove. The galley down configuration of the 1160 have at least twice as much storage space with overhead cupboards and the full height pantry, plus atleast 50% more bench space. Food storage being such an important factor in long distance cruising I wonder how Ruby Rose will deal with the issue. Not to mention there is no obvious place for a microwave and the hatch above the stove is gone.

If Seawind updates the 1260 with the new design but keep the galley down configuration it would be a killer.
Agreed. Another reason a lot of us are galley down fans.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:10   #221

Boat: 1984Catalina 30

Quote:

The first thing my wife said was there is no way she takes that over her down galley on our 1260.
phlbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:59   #222

Biggest advantage of the galley up would be the short gas run from the stern and any change of gas accumulating in the bilge.
Old 07-08-2020, 11:19   #223

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

I think the design problem is that a salon that big needs something to take up space! I would have gone with drink fridge, icemaker, wet bar, and storage. Some counterspace.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 13:21   #224

Galley down probably means the toilet in that hull is in the front like in the 1160/1260. Which is not great for charter market. I dont think galley down in a 45 footer could have been justified to the masses. Everything is a compromise.
Old 07-08-2020, 14:10   #225

Im looking forward to the ruby rose crew showing us where the touted extra storage is on the 1370. At the moment the only way i can see it having more practical storage than the 1260 is if they turned the guest head into a giant walk in pantry/garage.

As designed they have a hull that serve no practical purpose for them on a daily basis. Although would be great as a Patreon/ air bnb accomodation.

Tags
men, model, Seawind, wind