Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2020, 14:37   #76

Re: New Seawind - terrible helm

Only if they want their reviews taken seriously.

If that ship has sailed then so be it.
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 14:44   #77
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
Only if they want their reviews taken seriously.

If that ship has sailed then so be it.

Take any review with a grain of salt and choose a boat that works for you.
We’ve owned 2 Seawind’s and if we could afford a more expensive catamaran Seawind would be at the top of our list.
They are well built well thought out vessels and the response we received from Seawind on questions about our 15 year old Seawind that we were the3rd owners of was impressive.
I think Ruby Rose made a good choice and their reviews to me appeared honest
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 14:48   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Does it really matter?
Really?

Look no further than this forum. Ever wonder why some contributors disclose they are a marine service provider?
geoff326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 14:57   #79
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff326 View Post
Really?

Look no further than this forum. Ever wonder why some contributors disclose they are a marine service provider?

Meaning?
Old 13-07-2020, 16:33   #80
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
A manufacturer knows about a new boat LONG before it is announced publicly. Based on some of their newer revues that I watched, I thought something was fishy with some of their comments (scores not lining up with words for competitors) but now, it's clear to me, the fix was in so to speak.

If they did receive any kind of compensation / discount / whatever from Seawind, they should disclose that information. I know they aren't journalist per se but they should have integrity about this.
Perhaps there is nothing to tell. Why don't you ask them directly. There was no give away, no massive discounts,
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 19:00   #81

Re: New Seawind Model - Announcement July 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
2 1/2 year wait after signing the dotted line??? Seems to me they are a long way from actual production.
I finally got a call back from the dealer today (07/13/20). Earliest to expect to commission the boat 2nd quarter 2023. Nearly 3 years away. Looks interesting but with that time line, a different option will need to be figured out. We didn't even get into pricing yet. He would get that to us in a few days. They are obviously not ready to produce the 1370 yet.
Kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 19:10   #82
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kujoe View Post
I finally got a call back from the dealer today (07/13/20). Earliest to expect to commission the boat 2nd quarter 2023. Nearly 3 years away. Looks interesting but with that time line, a different option will need to be figured out. We didn't even get into pricing yet. He would get that to us in a few days. They are obviously not ready to produce the 1370 yet.

Or more likely the build slots have filled up quickly.
Old 13-07-2020, 19:33   #83
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kujoe View Post
Pricing is freely available from the factory. 21 Boats have been sold, first boat is Oct 21 launch.
Old 13-07-2020, 19:34   #84

We grabbed the #9 build slot scheduled for late 2022 yesterday. After spending a few years educating ourselves on cats, we took an leap of faith that we were comfortable with.

Our journey started several years ago with a charter of an FP. Loved the livability and layout, but was not impressed with the quality, durability, or performance. We also chartered Lagoons, which seemed a step up in terms of quality but sailed like a tank. Then we sailed a Seawind 1260, and it was obvious, even to my relatively novice eyes, that this was a well built cat, designed to better survive the elements, and to allow me to spend less time repairing things in exotic locations. I felt that we had found our boat but the lack of storage on the 1260 was an issue that I could not get past. And the 1600 was just too much boat for us.

The potential ability to live without a genset, while still having enough power for luxuries like AC, sealed the deal. In the next two years, before our boat is finished, I expect solar, inverter, and lithium technologies to only get better.

Ordering a boat based on promises and animations is a risk, for sure. And, no doubt, I am paying a premium for getting near the front of the line. But my interactions with Seawind have been very encouraging, and it seems like their priorities align with mine. Only time will tell if this was a good decision but I think that I've found the boat that will be a good balance between life at anchor and life under sail - at least for us.
3cdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 19:51   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Take any review with a grain of salt and choose a boat that works for you. Agree!
We’ve owned 2 Seawind’s and if we could afford a more expensive catamaran Seawind would be at the top of our list.
They are well built well thought out vessels and the response we received from Seawind on questions about our 15 year old Seawind that we were the3rd owners of was impressive.
I think Ruby Rose made a good choice and their reviews to me appeared honest
Not sure which reviews you watched, but if you watched them all, you’ll note a significant bias towards performance boats, and a slant against the features of other “Lesser performing” boats. While he’s an experienced cruiser - his evaluations were definitely amateurish, and concentrated on some pretty silly, mundane issues at times. On others, he harped on his little personal pet peaves. His comparison of boats was so apples to oranges in size, performance, cost, etc., that they ultimately were nonsensical. I do believe he was talking to Seawind and they developed a symbiotic relationship. And then hundreds of other viewers “scored” them based on his biased reporting!

So - full disclosure - I’ve been following them off and on for quite awhile now. But even as a quasi fan - I found this whole “evaluation” process quite silly. It was interesting to watch, and ignoring their dialogue, you got to see a lot of different boats.

There’s no doubt that Seawind makes a nice line of Cats. There are many features I like. And others I don’t. If this boat tickles your fancy, or strikes a cord... and you have a budget to match... cheers! Carry on!
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 20:01   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyrcooler View Post
Not sure which reviews you watched, but if you watched them all, you’ll note a significant bias towards performance boats, and a slant against the features of other “Lesser performing” boats. While he’s an experienced cruiser - his evaluations were definitely amateurish, and concentrated on some pretty silly, mundane issues at times. On others, he harped on his little personal pet peaves. His comparison of boats was so apples to oranges in size, performance, cost, etc., that they ultimately were nonsensical. I do believe he was talking to Seawind and they developed a symbiotic relationship. And then hundreds of other viewers “scored” them based on his biased reporting!

I only watched a few and I'm glad I'm not the only person to have picked up on it.

Hopefully they will come clean at some point.
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 20:28   #87
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Hopefully they will come clean at some point.
On what? What specifically is your allegation that they need to "come clean" on.
Old 13-07-2020, 21:08   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyrcooler View Post

So - full disclosure - I’ve been following them off and on for quite awhile now. But even as a quasi fan - I found this whole “evaluation” process quite silly. It was interesting to watch, and ignoring their dialogue, you got to see a lot of different boats.

There’s no doubt that Seawind makes a nice line of Cats. There are many features I like. And others I don’t. If this boat tickles your fancy, or strikes a cord... and you have a budget to match... cheers! Carry on!
What I couldn't quite fathom was that his partner in many reviews stressed the need for a spacious cabin, with room for plenty of air movement ,yet ignored the fact that on the 1260 it is somewhat claustrophobic due to the bed being so high.
geoff326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 21:21   #89

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Pricing is freely available from the factory. 21 Boats have been sold, first boat is Oct 21 launch.
All this stuff about Ruby Rose, and whether they are biased or not, and whether they should come clean, etc. I watched their reviews as well - and for full disclosure we are on our second Seawind boat - and I wasn't impressed with some of the things they pointed out and said. I had never heard of them until that video and the headline they had chosen the Seawind 1260 as best catamaran. Whatever.

So look at the boat sales totals that Factor posted, and realize this is not a cheap boat. How many of those 21 boats do you think sold because Ruby Rose said it was their choice? I would say one - the boat they purchased!
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 22:00   #90

Boat: Looking now!

This.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff326 View Post
What I couldn't quite fathom was that his partner in many reviews stressed the need for a spacious cabin, with room for plenty of air movement ,yet ignored the fact that on the 1260 it is somewhat claustrophobic due to the bed being so high.
My wife and I had the same question about them raving about the Outremer living space when the main berth is similar with barely room to sit up in the bed.
Mook1e is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, model, Seawind, wind