Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2012, 16:55   #1

Newbee

Hello, Been on-line for awhile and figured i would finally jump in. i am a retired Navy seabee who plan's on doing my second retirement in about 8 years. me and my wife will be buying a 38-ft cat and wintering elsewhere. we live on a lake in Maine and plan on returning every summer. My questions are:
1. Every cat we find have 3-4 bedrooms and 2-4 heads. we are looking at a cat with just 2 bedrooms and just 1 head maybe 2. are they available and where?
2. I have sailed small 1-2 person sailboats around the lake and being a seabee never gained much experience except i have been around water and many boats. What classes should we take?
3. Been looking at going to a show and see Annapolis has one should i go to that one. they also offer classes. i want to get as much experience today. We can learn a little while cruising but i am always prepared
seniorcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 17:03   #2

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55
Re: Newbee

Welcome to ya Seniorcb, and many thanks for your service to Country.
I'll be dodging you as i am learning to sail also,,,i'll be the one with the shocked look of concentration on my mug,,Lol

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 17:34   #3

Yea 27 years was fun. thanks. I wanted to say i was looking at 38-45 ft not just 38 ft. anyway we will enjoy all comments. Thanks again
Old 20-03-2012, 17:50   #4

Boat: Catalina 270LE #166

I have heard that cruising cats are typically set up with one full hull being the master cabin with a head and shower. Very nice. The second hull is typically two smaller cabins with one or two heads/showers for children, visitors, or storage. I have not heard of his and hers hulls, i.e. two big cabins, but I'm sure it could be done.
bluenoser613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 17:50   #5

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"

CB, are you near Annapolis? I would invite you to go sailing this season, I am a couple of weeks away from getting out on the weekends. I have some de-winterizing and some maintenance to get done since the winter layup.

Seaking
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 18:00   #6

Wow, Thanks
no i am in maine but i have a siter in-law that lives in Balimore an get down there a couple of time per year.
Old 21-03-2012, 00:33   #7

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Don't worry abut having too many cabins. You can't have too many cabins! When you are cruising you'll carry all sorts of crap around with you. Having extra cabins to put it all in, out of the way of the cabins you live in, is very useful.

When we were crossing oceans we bought a washing machine. That used to have pride of place in its own cabin.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 21:11   #8

CB, you can learn a great deal from sailing schools. We used Rob Swain Sailing in the BVI's, and took a 9 day course called "Fast Track to Catamaran". It was outstanding. It gives you a quick course to get your ASA certifications for Basic Keelboat, Cruising, Bareboat Charter, and Catamaran. You will need these things if you're going to charter, and you should know them anyway. You should read the books they send you before you go on the trip, and you should read them all. Understand them and you'll be on your way. Plus the course we took was ten days sailing in the gorgeous and warm BVI's. Very nice and a lot of fun. Tell Rob that Gregg from Camp Waziyatah (WAH-ZEE-YA-TA) sent you. By the way, where are you in Maine? Our camp (kids sleepaway camp) is in Waterford.
Camp Director G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 15:07   #9

Boat: Catalina 270LE #166

I'm no authority on cats. I am great at reading and referring to material though. I thought this article was a good read and worthy of your consideration. I make no representations as to the accuracy of the material. The arguments seem logical to me though.

Choosing the right offshore, live-aboard catamaran.

I would be interested to hear what you end up with.

Cheers!
Brent
bluenoser613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 14:06   #10

Thanks Camp G. I will do that. We are in Sanford maine in York.
Old 28-03-2012, 15:13   #11
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by seniorcb View Post
....My questions are:
1. Every cat we find have 3-4 bedrooms and 2-4 heads. we are looking at a cat with just 2 bedrooms and just 1 head maybe 2. are they available and where?
Catamarans for sale by owner

Look through the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seniorcb View Post
2. I have sailed small 1-2 person sailboats around the lake and being a seabee never gained much experience except i have been around water and many boats. What classes should we take?
Your nearest sailing school of course. Sailing is sailing after all. I learned to sail in a harbor dinghy.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote