Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2015, 02:21   #1

Boat: still looking for the right Tri
Next generation of Windrider 17: RAVE V in the water...

I have reported in August that we can expect for 2016 a new Double Mast ( so called "Twin rig") Trimaran with fully foiling.
New RAVE 5 Windrider trimaran comes soon… following the old “Rave Hydrofoil Tri” (1998-2003)

Now the prototype of RAVE V (company Windrider) has been tested end of October. Here the first two photos of the test run at 6 knots wind (not yet foiling)...

The short report of first test sailing by designer Larry Knauer himself is here:
RAVE V - In the Water 10/25/15

Give feedback pls !! - What do you think about this new concept ? Do you like what you see with the prototype ? - What prize you would be willing to pay from 2016 on ?

P.S.: So looked the old boat, the Windrider 17
Skip JayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 03:18   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip JayR
I have reported in August that we can expect for 2016 a new Double Mast ( so called "Twin rig") Trimaran with fully foiling. New RAVE 5 Windrider trimaran comes soon… following the old “Rave Hydrofoil Tri” (1998-2003) Now the prototype of RAVE V (company Windrider) has been tested end of October. Here the first two photos of the test run at 6 knots wind (not yet foiling)... The short report of first test sailing by designer Larry Knauer himself is here: RAVE V - In the Water 10/25/15 Give feedback pls !! - What do you think about this new concept ? Do you like what you see with the prototype ? - What prize you would be willing to pay from 2016 on ? P.S.: So looked the old boat, the Windrider 17
Thank you for the post. I am inclined to offer clarification for readers.

The Rave V is the next generation of the original Rave. I do not think it is the next generation of the Windrider 17. The picture of the yellow colored hull boat foiling posted is the original Rave.

The Rave and Rave V are foiling boats whereas the Windrider 17 is a non foiling boat.

I am happy to see a company interested on developing and building sailboats that foil. Hoping to see one up close.

It seems to me that sails attached to the amas would increase lift better that the original Rave design with the one main sail and jib combination ; albeit, one could also add the screacher sail as well.

Another challenge for foil boats is to make it easy to set up and launch.

Great work!

Deric
Rave#116
Trifoiler#49
Greatketch33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 04:59   #3

Re: Next generation of Windrider 17: RAVE V in the water...

Tks Deric to bring some light into the "Rave history". I suppose my language barrier (I am not native ENG speaker) let me fall over my own language. I meant, that the Windrider 17 was the latest model from this company before the Rave V follows up, now. Right ?
Old 06-11-2015, 05:01   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatketch33 View Post
Rave#116
Trifoiler#49
I see you are a TriFoiler owner... very cool !! Actually I am looking for a Trimaran for living + working, so it will be something in the range of 40 foot.... and as my budget limits me - it will be slower than regularly.

So I am thinking to have a 2nd fast little Tri, just for fun and pacing around. Do you have some photos or video of your Trifoiler ?
Old 06-11-2015, 05:31   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Looks like a mess. Twice the setup time for a day sail. Twice the cost?
Old 06-11-2015, 06:30   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30
Looks like a mess. Twice the setup time for a day sail. Twice the cost?
It is difficult for many to justify the expense for these special boats; however, when one has an opportunity to foil on such a boat then the experience may help in the justification.

In 2014 I was a passenger in TF41 on Sarasota Bay. Winds were 21-26 and we reefed the sails. Going 37mph in a foil boat was the most thrilling experience I have had.

The Rave is not as fast but brings excitement in that the level of skill controlling the boat is more demanding than a TF. This past summer I friend trailed me at 29mph on his Jet Ski.

The new Rave looks awesome and my hope is that it performs as equal to it's appearance.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:00   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

That certainly is fast, but again not really practical for the mainstream. Of course one could argue jet ski make the waterway dangerous also, but but twenty of these in a small bay controlled by average skilled sailors and imagine what will happen!
Old 06-11-2015, 12:32   #8

Boat: Gemini 3200

As a former owner of the original Rave, I can confirm they are a hoot! I found it too much trouble to set up but others may not mind and I think the new one is supposed to be easier.
rassabossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 13:23   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rassabossa
As a former owner of the original Rave, I can confirm they are a hoot! I found it too much trouble to set up but others may not mind and I think the new one is supposed to be easier.
If I had to step the mast, connect rigging and insert the amas each time I wanted to sail I would think it would be too much work.

I have been lucky to be able to leave the Rave set up minus sails. When time to foil I hook trailer up to car and down the boat ramp to splash. Soon the sails are up and I'm off.

It will be interesting to see how the Rave V set up works. Easier would be much better.

I'd be interested in knowing the Rave hull # Rassa had and where he foiled.
Old 07-11-2015, 20:47   #10

Boat: Gemini 3200

GreatKetch: I don't know what the hull number was but I bought, sailed and sold it all while living in Ft. Walton Beach, FL in 2000/2001.
rassabossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 15:34   #11

Boat: Adams 31 aft cockpit

Looks bizarre - might actually work tho! Perhaps the upwind canted sail will provide some downthrust and the downwind sail some lift - which could potentially add up to a lot more speed in the right conditions by balancing the boat better? The old Rave was a blast to sail in the right conditions but a bit fiddly to set up and a lot fiddly to learn handle well, I found. The original WR 16s (non-foiling) are a very capable boat too, and I still have one, which is a permanent 'keeper' according to my oldest daughter who has clearly had far too much fun in it!
mowerandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, wind