Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2024, 13:58   #16

Re: No boat is perfect but!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSSailem View Post
The Survey gives clues as to the condition of the boat.
While blisters are inevitable on older boats:
*extensive blistering coupled with moisture in decks,
*moisture damage to bulk heads
*blisters with debonding frp laminate
etc.
is a sign of heavy storm water damage. Taking on a project boat with these issues means you will not "start cruising sometime soon".

Save your money for a boat that demonstrates the primary requirement of a boat.
"My Boat must keep the water on the outside!"

:-)
Last sentence says it all.

I still don't know what exactly debonding is and why that is bad but it doesn't sound good.
tharch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 14:55   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharch View Post
:-)
Last sentence says it all.

I still don't know what exactly debonding is and why that is bad but it doesn't sound good.
Debonding ... when the core separates from the fiberglass laminate.

Delamination ... When layers within the fiberglass laminate separate.
Old 04-03-2024, 14:57   #18

Boat: '86 MacGregor 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharch View Post
Hi all

I am hoping to buy my first boat and start cruising sometime soon. I am fairly handy with wood work and some fiberglass work. I am hoping someone can tell me whether to worry about this report. I am looking at a catamaran and the owner bought it less than 2 yrs ago, and sent me a copy of the survery he had done then.
….

It is not particularly cheap either.

Interesting that this owner bought it after getting that survey. I can only think of two reasons they would provide that survey while trying to sell it at a ‘not cheap’ price.

1. They spent the last 2 years fixing things, and for some reason that wasn’t made clear

2. After 2 years they still don’t understand how bad that survey is, and most likely don’t understand much about boats in general.
wyb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 05:41   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb2 View Post
Interesting that this owner bought it after getting that survey. I can only think of two reasons they would provide that survey while trying to sell it at a ‘not cheap’ price.

1. They spent the last 2 years fixing things, and for some reason that wasn’t made clear

2. After 2 years they still don’t understand how bad that survey is, and most likely don’t understand much about boats in general.

I spoke to the seller and none of the problems were fixed and he didn't seem to be aware of the amount of problems it has!! He did sound like he knows fair amount about boats - perhaps knows a lot about boats but not about repairs. Very puzzling indeed.
Old 05-03-2024, 05:42   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CAL, 35 Cruiser, 35 ft

“Boatpoker” states the clear definition.

Why it is bad.

Here are several reasons.

The boat’s structure functions similarly to plywood. It is a composite laminate. The outer fiberglass resins bond to a light weight core. Together they provide strength and stability to the deck holding the hull shell in place as the boat twists, rolls, turns, and bends moving over the water. The strength of these layers is compromised when they become separated.

Once separated debonded areas give way for water intrusion. Cracks in the fiberglass develops. Water will destroy the core materials be they wood, foam, or core-cell.

Rebuilding of these damaged structures is both costly and time consuming.
JSSailem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 05:44   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Debonding ... when the core separates from the fiberglass laminate.

Delamination ... When layers within the fiberglass laminate separate.

Thanks boatpoker. So, if I understood correctly, it is when the layers and layers of resin/fiberglass separates from something like foam or plywood underneath. However, how does that work on a boat that was manufactured with just a whole bunch of resin/fiberglass layers like the old British cats? Is it separation from CSM in that case? To my knowledge, they are made in a female mold, first gelcoat, then fiberglass, then CSM, then more fiberglass.
Old 05-03-2024, 05:46   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSSailem View Post
“Boatpoker” states the clear definition.

Why it is bad.

Here are several reasons.

The boat’s structure functions similarly to plywood. It is a composite laminate. The outer fiberglass resins bond to a light weight core. Together they provide strength and stability to the deck holding the hull shell in place as the boat twists, rolls, turns, and bends moving over the water. The strength of these layers is compromised when they become separated.

Once separated debonded areas give way for water intrusion. Cracks in the fiberglass develops. Water will destroy the core materials be they wood, foam, or core-cell.

Rebuilding of these damaged structures is both costly and time consuming.

Ah, makes sense. You answered the question I put to boatpoker just seconds before you posted the answer. Thanks :-)
Old 15-03-2024, 04:31   #23

Boat: CL14 #1179

In the boat selling process is it common for sellers to provide an up-to-date survey for potential buyers? I dont think this is the case, which means some boats on the market for a long time could have multiple, maybe five, ten different surveys done on it?
Wilyum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat