Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2019, 17:29   #16

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: NSW / Tassie / SA Marinas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceS View Post
Get a VERY good map if going into Cape Jaffa and please don't follow the cray boats through the reef!!!
Stay well offshore out from Beachport too..... eats boats there...

^^^^ What he said! ^^^^
Old 30-09-2019, 17:30   #17

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBazza View Post
You should not overlook the Wyndham Harbour Marina in Werribee South, Victoria. I’d be happy to talk to you about it. We have been here since March 2019.

Thank you for this. I did not know about them. And they’ve got a special intro month deal going at the moment. I think I’ll be staying there in March to visit family in Melbourne, the rate really is very good.
Old 30-09-2019, 17:38   #18

Boat: Houseboat, 60ft.

Are you intending to go below Tassie?
Are you prepared for the headwinds across the bite?
Are you intending to hop your way around/across or go in big chunks?
BruceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 18:08   #19

Boat: Transpac 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBazza View Post
You should not overlook the Wyndham Harbour Marina in Werribee South, Victoria. I’d be happy to talk to you about it. We have been here since March 2019.
As Matt said, the trial offer they have at the moment is quite reasonable. When I look at google maps satellite view, there are not many occupied berths.

How do they view liveaboards?
Old 30-09-2019, 18:33   #20
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceS View Post
Are you intending to go below Tassie?
Are you prepared for the headwinds across the bite?
Are you intending to hop your way around/across or go in big chunks?

Probably will not do Tassie at all. More likely to hop around to Port Lincoln and then head for Esperance from there. Hoping in Summer it will not be all headwinds
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 23:02   #21

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

FWIW, I've never done it, but have been told many times, buy a number of Ozzies, March is the best month to go across the bottom to Perth. You might try and check that, somehow. It would not be all that long, if you had favorable winds. Think in terms of 200 n. mi. days, unless you know the boat is slower than that. If you know the av. days' runs, share that here, obviously the longer they are, the easier it will be for you.

Ann
Old 30-09-2019, 23:46   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

As an alternative to taking it all the way round Australia:
October wouldn't be too late to move it north to Port Moresby
And then it's a good run through Torres Strait to Indonesia when you get a round tuit

(About AUD900 pcm on a stern tie to E finger in "the Pond"
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 23:49   #23
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
FWIW, I've never done it, but have been told many times, buy a number of Ozzies, March is the best month to go across the bottom to Perth. You might try and check that, somehow. It would not be all that long, if you had favorable winds. Think in terms of 200 n. mi. days, unless you know the boat is slower than that. If you know the av. days' runs, share that here, obviously the longer they are, the easier it will be for you.

Ann

There is normally a good amount of wind down there, but I think 200 Per day may be pushing it for a Lagoon 440? Until I take her on a long run I won't know, but would think working off 150 may be closer?
Old 30-09-2019, 23:52   #24
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
As an alternative to taking it all the way round Australia:
October wouldn't be too late to move it north to Port Moresby
And then it's a good run through Torres Strait to Indonesia when you get a round tuit

(About AUD900 pcm on a stern tie to E finger in "the Pond"

Closing date on Sale is 25th October - Just all too rushed to try and hightail it then - Doable but probably for a shake down sail not so wise
Old 01-10-2019, 00:19   #25

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
There are places around Sydney that will charge you for each hull, seriously, you take up two mono's spaces, and will be charged for that, as an acquaintance of ours discovered, to his disgust.
Ann
Hey Ann, Davi here... allow me to preface that between you and Jim, y'all's posts here are some of my favorites for knowledge, experience and compassion. We three look up to you guys tremendously!

But that said, why disgust? I think boats should always be charged first and foremost by beam...it's the simplest measure of how much room you take up and how many boats the marina can fit with paying customers. If the cat next to me is paying the same rate as me, I'd be livid, esp in a fuller marina (I lived in Sydney for a good while, I think they are always 'fuller'). I'd keep it to myself, of course, but still. Sure, forgo supplementary electricity and water on one space if it is included in the price, but if you take up two spaces, then that is exactly like two smaller monos side by side. Anything else makes no sense to me.

Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:02   #26

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Hey Ann, Davi here... allow me to preface that between you and Jim, y'all's posts here are some of my favorites for knowledge, experience and compassion. We three look up to you guys tremendously!

But that said, why disgust? I think boats should always be charged first and foremost by beam...it's the simplest measure of how much room you take up and how many boats the marina can fit with paying customers. If the cat next to me is paying the same rate as me, I'd be livid, esp in a fuller marina (I lived in Sydney for a good while, I think they are always 'fuller'). I'd keep it to myself, of course, but still. Sure, forgo supplementary electricity and water on one space if it is included in the price, but if you take up two spaces, then that is exactly like two smaller monos side by side. Anything else makes no sense to me.

He did feel disgusted. There had been a death in the family, and an air trip needed to happen. Time pressure and some emotional pressure, as well. With more time, he could have sailed back to Pittwater and put the boat on a mooring for a great deal less, but time was of the essence: he could not afford the days, either. Not sure I remember right, but it seems as if it was $1,200/wk, and this was maybe 8 yrs. ago, and he was not a wealthy man.

Unexpected events catch us all out, at times.

Ann
Old 01-10-2019, 03:00   #27

Boat: Volkscruiser

I am not suprised Ann. Thats why I am a Boati......bend over and take it! We all get caught occasionally and there is nothing cheap about the marine industry. Which is a shame since it really puts a barricade to people who would like to boat but cannot afford it.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:59   #28

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
There is normally a good amount of wind down there, but I think 200 Per day may be pushing it for a Lagoon 440? Until I take her on a long run I won't know, but would think working off 150 may be closer?
I have a mate with the 450. Many here seem to think they are slow, they are not. Yes they are heavy cats but they carry alot of sail, particularly light wind sails. He crossed and is in the med now via the Seychelles.

I don't think you should underestimate its daily average, I feel 150nm is very much on the conservative side if you have a decent breeze.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:03   #29

Boat: currently boatless

Hello UFO,
a couple of things. One is a publication called Robs passage planner. Listed in the publication are a large number of marinas from Cairns all the way down to Tassie. It has all the contact details plus a diagram of the marina. It is not an exhaustive list but you will get a good idea of what's where plus a contact details.
The second thing is there are plenty of private moorings for lease by commercial operators. Here in Lake Macquarie I know of several owners of commercial moorings where you can leave you cat for months at a time. I don't know what you consider expensive. Its a relative term for the area you are in. I have a Lagoon 440 currently berthed at Trinity Point Marina on Lake Macquarie. I consider their rates quite competitive given their services and the fact its a new marina. Very protected from all winds.
If you want to know how fast a Lagoon 440 will go, head to youtube and check out Cat Impi. I think you will be surprised at how fast they can get up and go given a suitable breeze. With the right breeze 200 nautical mile days are well within reach (or close to) I have not put my boat through its full paces yet but she easily sails at 8 knots in 15 knots breeze on a broad reach. The 440 is no racer but she's no slacker either and I think you will be pleasantly surprised with their performance.

Greg H
Lagoon 440
Lake Macquarie
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 23:42   #30

Boat: 50ft Kelsall Tonga Catamaran

Hi UFO, I have an 18mtr x 9.5mtr berth at Heritage Point Marina North Haven in Adelaide currently available, we own the berth and had our 50ft cat berthed there, great access to and from the gulf St Vincent, $560 per month, as we are now on the east coast of Aus and not returning the berth is ready, if your interested.

Regards Rod Lewis
doublebubble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marinas