Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 12:28   #136

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Nylon vs Polyester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I agree with those who say your main bower anchor and your storm anchor should be one and the same.
This is probably the most desirable set up. But it is not always the case with cruising boats that spend a season in a hurricane area. The hurricane anchor would be then far less than easily manageable in a good weather season.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:31   #137

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Yale Cordage makes two interesting ropes. One is Polydyne - a poly over nylon. I assume the Florentino is similiar. It's often used as mooring pennants but you can buy it for anchor rodes. Not cheap.
Polydyne \ High Strength Double Braided Rope | Yale Cordage
Carl,
Yep, I believe that's the stuff I got from Fiorentino....two green stripes and all...
At $1.75/ft (big discount if buying a sea anchor, etc.) it is pricey!!!
And, the 3/4" specs out at 23,000+ lbs. breaking strength.....
Quote:
Polydyne™ is a high strength double-braided rope incorporating a polyester sleeve over a nylon core. Polydyne™ maximizes load sharing between core and sleeve, yielding extremely high strength and high working energy absorption capacity. Nylon supplies “give” and “polyester” abrasion-resistance, and a willingness to cycle to a high percentage of break. Polydyne is identified by two green strands separated by a white strand braided into the cover of the rope.

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:48   #138

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Such is the way with cruising gurus. You can choose between the Lynn and Larry Pardey, who scoot around on a tiny wooden boat without an engine, or Steve Dashew, who scoots around on an enormous aluminum boat without sails. Either camp seems increasingly irrelevant to the cruiser in a mid-size fiberglass auxiliary sailboat.
The same could be sail of small plywood trimarans as well... M.
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 13:18   #139

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Barnie, yes chain is good stuff in coral waters. Here on the East Coast of the USA most anchorages have a nice mud bottom and we don't worry too much about chafe on the bottom. The main place where chafe is a factor is where it contacts the boat before going over the side. I have always used long lengths of plastic tubing, which I understand is now frowned upon due to overheating issues, and find that it totally eliminates this chafe at the boat end. In any case, more chafe resistance is nice to have.
I can confirm the latest thinking about not using vinyl or rubber tubing for hurricane chafe gear. After over a dozen "little" hurricanes and no problems with either type of chafe gear, we endured Hurricane "Ivan" in Pensacola. (1 MPH shy of a Catagory 4, gusting over 150 MPH, with a 13' - 15' surge)

I had 21 lines on my boat, most, but not all made it, however they all had to be replaced due to damage. The boat on the upwind side of the dock, was my real threat. This was why I went "out in it" 9 times to adjust lines, even swimming the side stroke the last trip! His 36' monohull tugged on it's lines hard enough to cleanly pop a 1" doublebraid line with 30,000 pound BL!

These were very different loads to what I had experienced in the past. The lines I had on my boat had a combination of polyester textile chafe gear and vinyl hose chafe gear on other lines. The textile gear was ruined for future use, but mostly protected the line. Several of the lines in 1" vinyl hose, where they went over an edge, melted to a brittle cylinder of solid plastic. These were the only total failures.

I still use "hose" at the dock or in a Cat.1, but in a real blow, I would use the textile variety, perhaps doubled up... It apparently DOES dissipate the heat better.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ps_2010_08_25___16_31_29.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	24891   Click image for larger version

Name:	218.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	24892  

Click image for larger version

Name:	219.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	24893  
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 13:25   #140

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Thanks for that Mark! Great real-world experience, though I hope never to have to deal with anything similar. What exactly was the polyester chafe gear you used? By any chance did you use any polyester jib sheets or anything like that for the nylon/polyester comparison?
Old 03-07-2016, 21:43   #141

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
Please, everyone look up "begging the question." It's not what you think.
There was a similar post to this much
more recently that I couldn't find
(maybe even on another
site). Anyway, I really liked this in
response to such a challenge:

Wondermark » Archive » #1234; Begs Over Easy
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote