Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2020, 23:58   #2131

Re: Oceanvolt Hybrid Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlem24 View Post
Seawind sells you even 2kW of solar.
Not sure if you follow Learning the lines on YT, they had a similar idea with an 1160 lite.
There are even 25kW outboard available from Torqueedo, but they require a high voltage setup including a batterypack from a BMW i3.
Look up deep blue by Torqueedo.
Yeh it looks like the deep blue stuff is going to be much more expensive. Not showing a RRP is not a good sign. It's also a big jump from 10KW to 25KW. something in the 15KW range will be perfect. Would be interesting to see if the 10KW is enough to drive the 1160 though. The 10W units cost less than 10k each which is not bad considering OV charges 60k for a pair of their 10KW saildrives with 10KWH lithium. 10Kwh battery on it's own is around 10K even if you get mastervolt. So you could theoretically get something similar for almost half the price.

I recent started watching untie the lines just for the 1160 lite walk throughs. They seem like a nice couple but definitely dreamers. They were going to take 10 years to build a catamaran. Having said that if they can get a deal from seawindand tries the torqeedo thing i will be a subscriber.
Yihang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 04:17   #2132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yihang View Post
A seawind 1160 lite with two torqeedo 10kw outboard mated to a centrally mounted 10kw generator with twin diesel tanks for diesel hydronic heating seem like a pretty good setup even for a non purist. 1200w solar would probably be enough for getting in and out of harbors with the generator kicking in for water making,overcast days and long range motoring on one engine at a leisurely pace or motor sail. Doe's that sound reasonable? 15w outboards will be better but they don't exist right now.
A diesel/electric hybrid will work.

But a pair of 10kw diesels with 1200w solar and smaller battery bank for house loads will be cheaper. (needs a bit more detail on usage pattern to dial in the full differences)
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 04:42   #2133

The good thing about the 1160 lite is you can get to know the boat with the cheap petrol outboards first and switch it with electric outboards later if your usage pattern matches like you said. Almost a drop in replacement since they are outboards. In the meantime you could updated the battery banks and solar incrementally. Without going all in on the OV package. As anything electric is only going to get cheaper.

Heck, you could wait for second hand torqeedos to show up in the meantime as well.
Old 11-08-2020, 08:15   #2134

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yihang View Post
The good thing about the 1160 lite is you can get to know the boat with the cheap petrol outboards first and switch it with electric outboards later if your usage pattern matches like you said. Almost a drop in replacement since they are outboards. In the meantime you could updated the battery banks and solar incrementally. Without going all in on the OV package. As anything electric is only going to get cheaper.

Heck, you could wait for second hand torqeedos to show up in the meantime as well.
Unless a recent upgrade, the 10kw Torqueedo outboards do not regen. I've spoken to them as recent as three months ago.

Matt
Old 11-08-2020, 09:01   #2135

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Unless a recent upgrade, the 10kw Torqueedo outboards do not regen. I've spoken to them as recent as three months ago.

Matt

The outboards will be tilted out of water when sailing so not an issue. Regen is nice to have but not deal breaker unless you were planning a RTW non stop i suppose.
Old 11-08-2020, 10:32   #2136

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
A diesel/electric hybrid will work.

But a pair of 10kw diesels with 1200w solar and smaller battery bank for house loads will be cheaper. (needs a bit more detail on usage pattern to dial in the full differences)
Likely, but the sound of silence is unbeatable...
I enjoy my electric car everytime I drive it.
And watching several YT sailing channels listening to the roar of old marine diesel is not a nice sound.
harlem24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 10:48   #2137

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
It's been said multiple times on this thread...if you are a purist sailor and only use propulsion to get in and out of harbor, electric is very much viable.

But that's a very rare cruiser.

On heating, I think the presumption is most cruisers tend toward the tropics. Certainly in cold areas, you need a means of heating the boat and batteries are a great option.
The 'purist sailors' are the ones that don't even live on the boat. They do a trip usually sponsored, with a nice write up, then go back to their big country homes.

I can't see heating as a problem. Most boats I met in the Med didn't have heating and it's not like it's hot in the winter. Instead, they plugged in the marina. In the Caribbean many boats can't even heat water for washing.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 19:30   #2138

Good to know heating is not required in the Med. But in 'some' of the areas I plan to cruise heating is going to be essential, electricity is not going to cut it. At least if you are not talking about barely surviving with a sleeping bag and electric blankets.
Old 11-08-2020, 20:43   #2139

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Heating might not be 'essential' in the Med during the winter but I can tell you from experience that your life onboard will be a lot more pleasant if you do have some.

You won't generally have snow on deck of course (although it can happen on occasion some years) but temperatures are regularly below +10deg, and can get down towards +5deg or lower too.

So you can make do, but it can also make living aboard through a whole winter pretty unpleasant on a small boat.

As noted, most boats will be in a port over winter, plugged in to shore power, so you have options based on this.

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 12:46   #2140

Boat: Hanse 348

Can't say I have read every post here, so not sure if this company was mentioned.

https://www.greenlinehybridusa.com/yacht/greenline-40/

They have 2kw of solar, a ton of Li battery, and the engines drive a generator to recharge the battery bank. All appliances work off of AC in the air cond via an inverter. 26kWh (~2000 Ah @ 12V) of battery

The battery bank will run the boat for about 20-30mi at 5kts. The engines will recharge the bank in about 1 to 2 hours. So in theory you could go 30 mi using no fuel, another 20mi using 3 gal and be recharged.

I am not saying we are there yet with using no fuel, but for someone doing a great loop day of 50 mi, this gets you 50% of the day with no sound and not using dino juice.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 03:55   #2141

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

Is anyone interested in seeing the regen figures from the sea trials of a 57' mono recently built by McConaghy Yachts in Australia with OV Servoprop 15kW motor?
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 07:55   #2142

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlem24 View Post
Likely, but the sound of silence is unbeatable...
I enjoy my electric car everytime I drive it.
Funny, I literally have tried to hear the V10 in my F250 and going down the highway, I can't hear it. Unless you gun the engine to purposely make noise, modern engines just don't make much.

On our Catalac, other than a gentle burble, no engine noise in the cockpit.
Old 17-08-2020, 07:58   #2143

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
The 'purist sailors' are the ones that don't even live on the boat. They do a trip usually sponsored, with a nice write up, then go back to their big country homes.

I can't see heating as a problem. Most boats I met in the Med didn't have heating and it's not like it's hot in the winter. Instead, they plugged in the marina. In the Caribbean many boats can't even heat water for washing.
I think the word "not" got lost in my comment...batteries are NOT a good option for heating.

But yeah, the purist sailor out cruising longer distances are pretty rare.
Old 22-08-2020, 18:07   #2144

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeakie View Post
Is anyone interested in seeing the regen figures from the sea trials of a 57' mono recently built by McConaghy Yachts in Australia with OV Servoprop 15kW motor?
About a week ago I asked the question whether anyone wanted real world data on regen. I'll take the absense of any response as a "No".
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 20:03   #2145

I thought you were going to post it anyway. haha.

YES!

Tags
motor