Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2017, 13:28   #631

Re: Oceanvolt Hybrid Motor

Anyone fit a cat with these yet?
CatDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 15:11   #632

Not in the US that I know of. Definitely would be cutting edge...
dgoanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 20:23   #633

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

Dgoanne,

That price difference doesn't sound right unless A) you are comparing against their outboard option for the SW 1280 or B) you are not comparing apples to apples. The SD15 are not dramatically more than the Yanmars, but you will need more LFP batteries than your house and a DC genset. What exactly are you comparing?

FYI to all who are interested, "Kator" the new 20 meter Schionning cat with OV system was launched last week at Noosa and here is the real data from sea trials:

LOA: 20m 66ft
Displacement loaded: 11T
SOG: 8 knots using 8kW from 10kW DC genset ( thats 4kW to each SD15 motor)
Regeneration: 1.2kW at 8 knots sailing SOG from EACH motor
WOT: 10 knots in shallow river, expecting more in ocean deeper water

I also believe the boat got to 5 knots at just 2kW to each motor.

Needless to say the owner (who owns The Boat Works in Coomera Queensland) is delighted with the performance and operation of the OceanVolt system. 👍

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 21:12   #634

Any idea of fuel consumption rate for genset providing 8kW?
SDChristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 21:20   #635

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeakie View Post
FYI to all who are interested, "Kator" the new 20 meter Schionning cat with OV system was launched last week at Noosa and here is the real data from sea trials:

Needless to say the owner (who owns The Boat Works in Coomera Queensland) is delighted with the performance and operation of the OceanVolt system.
You left out how fast was the current flowing in that river, 3 kts, or just 2 kts?
The interesting bit would be how fast the boat was over water with the power used including the part of electric power coming from the batteries, not just the part from the genset, and also the part of propulsive power coming from the wind.
Just Another Sa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 00:24   #636

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Another Sa View Post
You left out how fast was the current flowing in that river, 3 kts, or just 2 kts?
The interesting bit would be how fast the boat was over water with the power used including the part of electric power coming from the batteries, not just the part from the genset, and also the part of propulsive power coming from the wind.
Hey, don't confuse the issue with actual meaningful data.

These numbers are so far off as to be laughable (yeah, I'm outright calling them false).

If this was true a 65' cat could do 8kts with just a 15hp outboard running a 2/3 throttle. Why on earth would your average 65' cat have a pair of 75-150hp engines (even the high performance boats not just the condomarans).

These falsehoods are probably the biggest stumbling block to acceptance of the technology. The adherents tell outlandish stories. Those with a modest amount of understanding learn to assume anything told by the adherents is a lie.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 00:34   #637

Quote:

Needless to say the owner (who owns The Boat Works in Coomera Queensland) is delighted with the performance and operation of the OceanVolt system. 👍

Maybe, but IIRC his old 18 metre boat could motor at 18 knots...
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 03:27   #638

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

Hey 44, why don't you call Julian or Tony and ask them yourself, and then You can post here with what the people involved in the testing and sea trials actually experienced?

Valhalla, you are sooo wrong its delicious. 😀

BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 03:46   #639

Quote:
Hey 44, why don't you call Julian or Tony and ask them yourself, and then You can post here with what the people involved in the testing and sea trials actually experienced?

Valhalla, you are sooo wrong its delicious. 😀

So the alternative power plant for customers who want diesel is a pair of 10hp single cylinder diesels? That should give you 12-15kts cruise speed based on these "test" numbers.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 06:21   #640

Boat: Valiant 42
Oceanvolt Hybrid Motor

Quote:
Dgoanne,

That price difference doesn't sound right unless A) you are comparing against their outboard option for the SW 1280 or B) you are not comparing apples to apples. The SD15 are not dramatically more than the Yanmars, but you will need more LFP batteries than your house and a DC genset. What exactly are you comparing?

SOG is a meaningless metric. Power consumption can only be determined by adding fuel usage and all sources of renewable power, not just the generator. Fuel usage including battery recharge on a controlled 4 sided (say 25 miles per side) square run would be nice but I'm betting no one can get that data.

A 10 kW DC genset running at 80% capacity can keep the batteries working for how long while motoring continuously at 10 knots? I'll bet not for 24 hours. A pair of direct drive diesels can do that for days.

And who wants to go cruising the world in a 60 foot cat that has a max motoring speed of 10 knots? That suggests if a strong head wind with waves was up it may not go forward at all. A cat that size ought to make close to 20 knots STW in still air. Yes I know, it's a sail boat but sometimes you just have to motor.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 09:00   #641

Quote:

Valhalla, you are sooo wrong its delicious. ��

I'll certainly ask next time I'm at the boat works. Hopefully won't be for another year yet.

I have to say, if it were me, I'd be dissapointed. Around $70 K for engines that can only manage10kts? Even less on a sustained basis. (And the boat will never be lighter than it is now)
Old 23-03-2017, 09:51   #642

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
I'll certainly ask next time I'm at the boat works. Hopefully won't be for another year yet.

I have to say, if it were me, I'd be dissapointed. Around $70 K for engines that can only manage10kts? Even less on a sustained basis. (And the boat will never be lighter than it is now)
Isn't the top motoring speed of a Lagoon 620 10 knots? Tough crowd.

Lagoon 620 (2012) - Asia-Pacific Boating
Old 23-03-2017, 10:35   #643
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Dgoanne,

If these are the actual and honest numbers then I am very impressed. Impressed enough that I will be forced to walk back years of talk about electric propulsion on boats.

But frankly they are pretty unbelievable so here is what I would recommend. Contact Nigel Calder and hire him to do an independent review of the propulsion system, and make the employment contract public prior to the test.

When he, or a true third part lab reports back these same numbers then I will believe them. But frankly I think what you have now is fundamentally flawed.

Torquedo who i don't trust) reports a propulsion efficiency of about 55%, meaning 1kw in, 550w at the shaft. Getting 8kn from 8kw output is pretty hard to believe, but getting 8kn from 4.4kw at the shaft is pretty much impossible.

Assuming this is true you could also prove it by attaching a 6hp high thrust outboard and you should get the same 8kn.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 12:55   #644

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDChristian View Post
Isn't the top motoring speed of a Lagoon 620 10 knots? Tough crowd.

Lagoon 620 (2012) - Asia-Pacific Boating
Do the Lagoons engines cost $70000?

Anyway, completely different boat, built for a completely different goal. As I said before, the previous boat motored at up to 18kts. I personally wouldn't be happy if my new,bigger, better, more expensive boat could only manage around half.
Old 23-03-2017, 12:57   #645

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Do the Lagoons engines cost $70000?
Pretty sure a Lagoon 620 owner wouldn't blink at the difference in price. But what do I know about millionaires.

Tags
motor