Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2018, 03:01   #1396

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat
Re: Oceanvolt Hybrid Motor

Can't wait!

In the photo of the motor controller, just to the lower right of it, is that a manifold for control cables & the controller water cooling?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 03:46   #1397

Boat: leopard 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeakie View Post
Can't wait!

In the photo of the motor controller, just to the lower right of it, is that a manifold for control cables & the controller water cooling?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Its a very slow frustrating process.
No you can't see the controller water cooler in the photo - it is a brass through-hull and sits aft of the water heater on the flatest part of the hull.

I will take another photo next week when they have finished connecting up the motor
svReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 14:42   #1398

sv Reality,

Just a heads up for your installation re battery switches. We've found that all battery switches are not equal re internal resistance. Some of the common battery switches you find in most "normal" yacht installations have too much resistance when used in OV installations with the higher current flows to electric motors at WOT. So they get really hot. Make sure your installer scans the components with an IR camera that shows temperatures when in operation.
Old 01-09-2018, 20:44   #1399

Quote:
sv Reality,

Just a heads up for your installation re battery switches. We've found that all battery switches are not equal re internal resistance. Some of the common battery switches you find in most "normal" yacht installations have too much resistance when used in OV installations with the higher current flows to electric motors at WOT. So they get really hot. Make sure your installer scans the components with an IR camera that shows temperatures when in operation.
Full calcs done for cable size, fuse size and switches with ratings higher than required to be followed by sea trials including thermal testing - all part of installation certification.

My mooring neighbour has an Leopard 43 so we should be able to do some side by side testing this summer.
Old 01-09-2018, 22:07   #1400

Quote:
Originally Posted by svReality View Post
Full calcs done for cable size, fuse size and switches with ratings higher than required to be followed by sea trials including thermal testing - all part of installation certification.

My mooring neighbour has an Leopard 43 so we should be able to do some side by side testing this summer.
Excellent. Yes, aware of the installation certification by OV, but we found 2 different brands of battery switches that were much hotter than expected. The thermal scan is a good diagnostic. I think there is an app for iPhone that gives "good enough" IR results. I was thinking that would be handy to have while cruising to find suspect connections.

Testing against an equivalent diesel cat will be very interesting!
Old 27-09-2018, 19:21   #1401

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Saba 50

Hi Bigbeakie and svReality,
I was astonished by the unprofessional comments and obvious not knowing but wanting to comment what was visible on the photos I posted of the motor monitors at the helm station. I am glad to see the great progress on the boat!
If someone eg writes that the engine temperature is too high, please they should know what temperature is indicated there. It is the temp at the motor and that is fine until 145 degrees Celsius! But if people participate in the discussion without asking why the temperature is as shown but they make their own false interpretations, I really lost the energy, which is sparse on a cruising boat anyway, to this matter.
Hope you had a great trial and that the discussion is more moving to people who know what matter they are commenting on.
All the best from Panama
JaJapami

PS: we were two days ago out of the Marina cruising at 3.5 knots with each engine just under 1kW... later we cruised at 5.5 knots with a total consumption of 5.5 kW
JaJapami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 20:04   #1402

A couple more photos of the cabling next to the generator and one of the battery banks under the aft cabin bed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0587.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	178091   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0591.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	178092  

Old 27-09-2018, 20:06   #1403

apologies the battery photo is upside down. Still needs some securing straps.
First power testing will be next week.
Old 28-09-2018, 07:21   #1404

Quote:
Excellent. Yes, aware of the installation certification by OV, but we found 2 different brands of battery switches that were much hotter than expected. The thermal scan is a good diagnostic. I think there is an app for iPhone that gives "good enough" IR results. I was thinking that would be handy to have while cruising to find suspect connections.

Testing against an equivalent diesel cat will be very interesting!
I'm not sure what the situation is where you are, but in the past couple years inexpensive Chinese thermal cameras with really nice specs have become available in the US market (Amazon).

I bought an "Hti HT-18" for $409. That's a small fraction of the price of a comparable FLIR camera like the FLIR E8 at $2,999. And it works absolutely great for my modest needs, with really clear imaging.
ssmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 08:57   #1405
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I got a FLIR that plugs into my Android phone (also available for Apple iOS). The lower-res unit, which is extremely useful, costs $200.
https://www.flir.com/products/flir-one-gen-3

The higher-resolution version costs $400.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2018, 13:18   #1406

I thought this was a significant announcement, particularly for those who may have commented in the past on the reliability of good EP.

The Alex Thomson racing team at Hugo Boss will use Oceanvolt system next Vendee Globe without any fossil fuel aboard.

https://oceanvolt.com/oceanvolt-blog...homson-racing/

Those who know about the Vendee Globe, and Alex Thomson, may appreciate the significance of this announcement: Single handed non stop racing around the world via the southern ocean with only solar and regen.

BRITISH SAILING TEAM PUSHES SUSTAINABILITY TO THE FOREFRONT WITH FOSSIL FUEL FREE ROUND-THE-WORLD AMBITION

For immediate release: Tuesday, October 23

Alex Thomson Racing set to integrate electric motor system in new IMOCA racing yacht
New, multi-million pound boat will be launched in summer 2019, with the aim of winning the 2020-2021 Vendée Globe race
Skipper Thomson aims to race around the world without fossil fuels using cutting edge technology and solar power
Pioneering manufacturer Oceanvolt will work in partnership with the racing team to integrate state-of-the-art electric motor and batteries
British sailing team Alex Thomson Racing has underlined its commitment to sustainability by declaring an ambition to race around the world without the use of fossil fuels.

Earlier this year the ocean racing team announced plans to build a brand new IMOCA 60 yacht, with the aim of becoming the first non-French team to win the iconic round-the-world Vendée Globe race in 2020-2021.

Now well into the build process of the multi-million pound boat, the team has declared its intention to switch to an electric motor, charged by onboard solar panel technology.

Partnering with Oceanvolt, a world leader in the manufacture of electric power and propulsion systems for boats, the racing team will integrate a state-of-the-art electric motor and batteries, designed to withstand the demands of a gruelling round-the-world campaign, whilst continuing to promote sustainability.

Alex Thomson Racing’s Technical Director, Ross Daniel, said: “As a team, we are committed to operating in the most sustainable, responsible way possible, and that commitment will filter through to the new HUGO BOSS boat.

“Battery power is really the heart of the boat. It’s crucial for communication, navigation, and the running of both the onboard water maker and the autopilot. If the heart stops beating, the boat stops. It’s therefore critical that we implement a system that we trust, and can rely upon, in order to ensure Alex’s safety.

“On the new boat, we will explore solar energy as the primary power source, via solar panels located across the deck. In order to do so, we must consider not only the duration of the race but also the conditions that the boat will be exposed to. For example, when Alex finds himself in the depths of the southern ocean where there is restricted direct sunlight, we have to be sure that the solar panels are still capable of delivering the amount of energy that the boat requires.

“For us as a team, the move to an electric motor was of paramount importance when we began the design process for the new boat. We’re confident that, by working closely with the team at Oceanvolt in the lead up to the Vendée Globe in 2020, we can develop a performance system which is clean, safe, efficient and wholly reliable.”

While completing the Vendée Globe without using fossil fuels is a significant challenge, it is one that skipper Thomson is fully committed to taking on: “There is often a perception that implementing more sustainable systems can bring about a performance disadvantage but we don’t believe that needs to be the case in our sport” said Thomson. “In fact, we think that integrating more sustainable systems could actually deliver certain advantages, and that’s an exciting prospect for our team”.

Headquartered in Vantaa, Finland, Oceanvolt has received numerous awards for its innovative systems, including a 2017 DAME Award (Machinery, propulsion, mechanical and electrical systems and fittings), 2016 and 2013 Pittman Innovation Awards and a 2012 Clean Design Award. The company will now serve as an Official Supplier to Alex Thomson Racing.

"We are thrilled at the opportunity to test our new technology in extreme racing conditions” said Janne Kjellman, Founder of Oceanvolt. “We look forward to receiving valuable data from the boat, which will enable us to further develop our unique electric propulsion systems. Alex Thomson has always pushed the boundaries of technology development, and we are proud to team up with him in our quest to bring to the market ever more sustainable and reliable solutions for maritime use.”

-

ENDS

For media enquiries, please contact:

Sarah Taylor
Communications Manager, Alex Thomson Racing
Phone: +44 (0) 7587 452 390
Email: Sarah@alexthomsonracing.com

Anna Hietanen
Marketing Manager, Oceanvolt
Phone: +358 (0) 10 325 5289
Email: anna.hietanen@oceanvolt.com

About Alex Thomson:

Alex Thomson is the youngest skipper ever to win a round-the-world yacht race. When he triumphed in the 1998/1999 Clipper Round-the-World Race he set a record which still stands today. Thomson also holds the British solo, unassisted round-the-world monohull record, which he set in 2017 when he finished the gruelling Vendée Globe race – ‘the Everest of sailing’ – in just 74 days, 19 hours, 35 minutes. Having achieved third and second place finishes in the last two editions of the iconic race, Thomson and his team - together with their long-standing sponsor, HUGO BOSS – now have their sights firmly set on becoming the first British team in history to win the race in 2020/2021.

www.alexthomsonracing.com
www.hugoboss.com/alex-thomson-racing
Twitter @ATRacing99
Facebook @AlexThomsonRacing
Instagram @Alex_Thomson_Racing

About Oceanvolt

Founded in 2004, Oceanvolt is the leading manufacturer of clean electric power & propulsion systems for boats. Oceanvolt's award winning motor systems have been installed on hundreds of boats ranging from daysailers to 80 ft catamarans worldwide. The systems are not only suitable for cruising and sailing on lakes but also for circumnavigating the globe in tough conditions.

www.oceanvolt.com
Twitter: @Oceanvolt_Ltd
Facebook: @Oceanvolt
Instagram: @Oceanvolt
Old 23-10-2018, 13:37   #1407

Boat: Valiant 42

Will be interesting to see how the gear holds up in a race with those harsh conditions. But those boats tolerate 1,000 times more risk than a typical cruising couple in the tropics.

Who is paying to install the OV system? Does anyone know the brand of the original EV system they scrapped to go with OV? The PR says they always planned to use EV but recently switched to OV.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2018, 14:03   #1408

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

How often did the Vendee boats run their engines? I know they use Watt & Sea tow gens before, but I didn't know they ran internal combustion engines too much before.

Here is a quote from Vendee Globe wesbite:

"2016-17 race that Conrad Colman was recognised as the first solo racer to complete the Vendee Globe using no fossil fuels at all, relying only on eco-sustainable power, with no diesel engine and not using the obligatory generator"

So, looks like it was done before.

Matt
Old 23-10-2018, 14:07   #1409

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

I can't see that this announcement gives any indication about OV reliability. All I read is that someone very with deep pockets plans to have a OV unit installed, most likely for free. Doesn't say anything good or bad about OV.

I have no clue about racing. How many engine hours do they typically clock?
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2018, 15:20   #1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
I can't see that this announcement gives any indication about OV reliability. All I read is that someone very with deep pockets plans to have a OV unit installed, most likely for free. Doesn't say anything good or bad about OV.

I have no clue about racing. How many engine hours do they typically clock?
Apparently yacht racing is not the only thing that you don't understand.

Tags
motor