Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2021, 10:17   #76
cruiser

Boat: OPBs
Re: Oceanvolt Servoprop regen tested by UMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
A real life case is still a use case - that's the terminology.

I'll have a read, thank you
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2021, 10:20   #77
cruiser

Ok, I've just read it and looked at the picture. Please correct me if I'm wrong but the picture shows NO SOLAR on that boat

So it's not even a real life use case I mean, who would do that?

No one sensible.
Old 15-09-2021, 10:24   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post
Ok, I've just read it and looked at the picture. Please correct me if I'm wrong but the picture shows NO SOLAR on that boat

No one sensible.
Well, Oceanvolt seemed to think it was sensible...
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2021, 10:25   #79
cruiser

Quote:
Well, Oceanvolt seemed to think it was sensible...
I don't think we have enough information, going by that article, to make that assumption
Old 15-09-2021, 10:28   #80

Quote:
I don't think we have enough information, going by that article, to make that assumption
Right, but a youtube video has all the information you need to make your determinations.
Old 15-09-2021, 10:33   #81

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:

No one sensible.
Just doesn't show up in that picture. In a couple of articles Jimmy mentioned that cats are ideal because they have lots of room for solar. V1 had solar on the hard top and above the dinghy davits, V2 reported to have "more" solar.

Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2021, 10:34   #82
cruiser

Quote:
Right, but a youtube video has all the information you need to make your determinations.
You're thinking too binary because I'm not saying that at all. Relax dude

It's a useful data point for discussion and to inform further discussion, that's it

We don't need all the self-aggrandising in this thread to make that determination
Old 15-09-2021, 10:36   #83
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Just doesn't show up in that picture. In a couple of articles Jimmy mentioned that cats are ideal because they have lots of room for solar. V1 had solar on the hard top and above the dinghy davits, V2 reported to have "more" solar.

Thanks for that. My thinking around the same type of installation would be to fill every available inch of coachroof with high capacity solar. I'm glad to hear they reconsidered it for V2
Old 15-09-2021, 10:54   #84

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
Have you priced out a new diesel for a ~35ft boat recently? Repowering with a new Yanmar a couple years ago in Connecticut was more than 40k. Maybe it's cheaper in other parts of the US, certainly in other parts of the world. But I'd imagine that in the UK, much of Western Europe, and most coastal parts of the US that it's somewhat competitive, pricewise. The question is does it give you the same utility, which I think is a no for most cruisers. But maybe a yes for weekend/day sailing.
I'd think it would be the opposite. Good for long distance sailing but diesel better for weekend/day sailing.

For me cruising is "without a schedule" so in a scenario of where I'm using the motor just to get in and out of an anchorage, then have travel time (day to a week let's say) to put that power back in the batteries then it doesn't have to be on a 1:1 ratio or even close.

I love the idea of electrical propulsion. I just don't think its financially smart unless already doing a repower and then marginally.
Old 15-09-2021, 10:59   #85

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

I think it depends a lot on what you like to do and where. If you're on a multi week cruise up in New England, and have an itinerary, you sometimes have to get somewhere at a certain time, especially if you've reserved a mooring or marina slip. And the wind up here is not always there. But if you just need to get out of your harbor to do a day sail in Long Island Sound or the Narragansett, then you just need the motor for a few minutes at the start and end. I suppose if you're in the Caribbean with the consistency of the tradewinds and you're full time with no schedule, then you can do what UMA did, and just sail everywhere, regardless of how long it takes. I guess you could make it more like three general categories, day/weekend sailing, seasonal cruising (where you are maybe blocking out a couple weeks at a time or a month or two for a long cruise, but where you are still trying to make the most of your time), and full-time live aboard where you truly aren't on a schedule.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2021, 11:03   #86
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

Hey Uma,

Don't know if you visit Cruiser's Forum, but today there is a discussion about your new regenerating OceanVolt system.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...um+-+Emails%29

One comment got to me:

Quote from skeptic:
Quote:
I don't mean to rain on your parade but just because someone says something in a video posted online, does not make it true.

I'm not disagreeing that the drag may have a negligible impact on performance, I'm simply stating this is not any kind of proof (I have not watched) unless all the inputs have been controlled and the results can be reproduced. Is this a person's experience or are they showing actual proof?

This was my response:
What a naysayer. I have been watching Sailing Uma since their first episode and although on occasion they do get corporate sponsorship and samples to use in their episodes, I have been watching their saga of using electric motors.
OceanVolt, a Finnish firm, wasn't interested in sponsoring them or giving them a discount, not believing in the marketing power of Sailing Uma's YouTube channel. I believe they were sold a used OceanVolt motor and saildrive from one of their viewers.
After they removed their forklift motor and replaced it with the used OceanVolt system, they discovered while motoring from IJmuiden to Amsterdam that there was a problem in the saildrive. Apparently, the PO's boat had been struck by lightning and probably caused damage to a bearing in the drive. In Enkhuizen, NL. they swapped the drive for one that they bought new.

Then when OceanVolt redesigned their saildrive to better facilitate regeneration while sailing, Sailing Uma swapped their older motor and drive for the newer design.
I watched the episode here where they measured the output of the regeneration and then measured the boat speed with the motor in regeneration mode and then with the blades feathered. They lost about 1 knot while making 200-300 watts of electricity.
So be as unbelieving as you want, but know what you are disbelieving. Or be an ostrich.

The response from the skeptic is like all the people who give "thumbs down" on perfectly good videos.*

Maybe you want to join that discussion and discuss the parameters you used to determine the current efficiency of your new system.

All the best,
Skylark
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2021, 11:11   #87
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
One more question... were these people compensated in any way to perform this "test"? I'm guessing only the manufacturer and "tester" will know this but it's always important to keep in mind where the "interests" are at.
Again, the naysayer who doesn't know what he is talking about just makes bad comments. If he had watch the videos about Uma and OceanVolt, he would know that OceanVolt didn't support or sponsor Uma in their decision to go with the OceanVolt system and they had to get a used OceanVolt system from one of their viewers.

Please know what you are talking about. Or leave the discussions to those who know about the subject.
Old 15-09-2021, 11:16   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by George DuBose View Post
Hey Uma,

Don't know if you visit Cruiser's Forum, but today there is a discussion about your new regenerating OceanVolt system.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...um+-+Emails%29

One comment got to me:

Quote from skeptic:

This was my response:
What a naysayer. I have been watching Sailing Uma since their first episode and although on occasion they do get corporate sponsorship and samples to use in their episodes, I have been watching their saga of using electric motors.
OceanVolt, a Finnish firm, wasn't interested in sponsoring them or giving them a discount, not believing in the marketing power of Sailing Uma's YouTube channel. I believe they were sold a used OceanVolt motor and saildrive from one of their viewers.
After they removed their forklift motor and replaced it with the used OceanVolt system, they discovered while motoring from IJmuiden to Amsterdam that there was a problem in the saildrive. Apparently, the PO's boat had been struck by lightning and probably caused damage to a bearing in the drive. In Enkhuizen, NL. they swapped the drive for one that they bought new.

Then when OceanVolt redesigned their saildrive to better facilitate regeneration while sailing, Sailing Uma swapped their older motor and drive for the newer design.
I watched the episode here where they measured the output of the regeneration and then measured the boat speed with the motor in regeneration mode and then with the blades feathered. They lost about 1 knot while making 200-300 watts of electricity.
So be as unbelieving as you want, but know what you are disbelieving. Or be an ostrich.

The response from the skeptic is like all the people who give "thumbs down" on perfectly good videos.*

Maybe you want to join that discussion and discuss the parameters you used to determine the current efficiency of your new system.

All the best,
Skylark
Really???

I just went to their website and guess who they list as a sponsor... (see attached image below)

Maybe that is a different Oceanvolt.

No need to send me PMs to criticize my posts. Feel free to do that here in public.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-09-15 at 2.10.18 PM.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	245374  
Old 15-09-2021, 11:24   #89
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Again, Uma didn't get sponsorship from OceanVolt as the Finnish company didn't believe they needed the marketing power of a YouTube channel.

Uma has had solar panels on top their bimini for quite some time.

Uma has only been in Norway for just about one year. Last summer, they were in The Netherlands. Enkhuizen to be exact.

Uma doesn't have a wind generator.

Solar and regeneration are their only sources of electricity when underway.

I wish certain people would keep their negative comments to themselves if they haven't watched all the previous Sailing Uma discussions and episodes since they first went electric.
Old 15-09-2021, 11:30   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by George DuBose View Post
Again, Uma didn't get sponsorship from OceanVolt as the Finnish company didn't believe they needed the marketing power of a YouTube channel.
You are entitled to your opinion, no matter how misguided. But, answer me this oh wise one... why would they list the company with their apparently many other sponsors if they weren't being sponsored?

Perhaps you need to send them another email... I'm sure they would love to hear from you, again and you can tell them how truly evil I am.

Is this what we have come to as a society? Whatever is on youtube is true with zero critical thought from the viewers?