Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2016, 16:20   #16

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Ok, What about Bali 4.5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWV View Post
Not a charter start up. Simply a reasonably fit, 50 year old looking at retirement with a sense of adventure.

Being a new boat, and a newbie myself, wondering if there is anything specs or otherwise that jumps out at people and says this boat is "no go" or you would be sorry because of ...............

Don't know what I don't know but I'm learning....

WWV
Let me put this record straight.

" ...a reasonably fit, 50 year old looking at retirement with a sense of adventure ..."

Will I disappoint you if I share a secret?

This girl is not part of the package.

Sorry.

Now that you know, do you still insist on this one rather than any other grp boat?

;-)

Seriously though: looks like any other cat about the same size and age. So if this boat meets your list of "must haves" and if you like how it looks, you should simply arrange a test sail then think thru the alternatives and then either buy it or else buy the next best thing.

One cannot tell what a boat is all about without sailing it a little bit. These must be new boats on the market (I have seen none here) so maybe contact the manufacturer to find other owners and discuss any questions you may have after the test sail.

Let us know your impressions when from the test sail.

BTW Do they have a dealership in the US or are you where the boatyard is (exactly: where is the boatyard?)

PS Their 4.3 is on the ARC. So you can just fly in, talk to the owners and possibly have a look at one then.

PS2 If I am still here then I can take some pictures and send them to you. But I might be on my way to the West Indies by then. (So just drop me a reminder PM when the time is due).

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 16:24   #17

On a different style message board, You all would be posting pictures and Memes of Cats at the top of 80 foot waves saying "Glad I'm not in a Monohull" Everyone would laugh and post more stuff.

It seems hard for people here to make a Joke. 'Cause posters get so Sensitive.
I wish there was a way to lighten the tone here
wkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 18:04   #18

Ok, What about Bali 4.5?

Although the Bali line has some interesting features that I first found pleasing, once I set foot on one I was turned off. The fit and finish was cheap in my opinion (much less durable than Lagoon, Leopard, FP, etc). The material used for the cabinets/furniture just felt like it wouldn't last a few seasons of good use. I did like the sliding front window though.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Spear06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 18:12   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkstar View Post

(...)

I wish there was a way to lighten the tone here
Have you tried posting something funny?

;-)

Seriously though, think about an average cruiser: an older, middle-class, couple ... How much sense of humour can you expect in this age/social group? How dirty do their jokes really get when their grand grand children are sound asleep in the fore cabin?

Try sailinganarchy. You may like it there. ;-)

I am attaching something I found funny. To lighten the tone here.

Cheers,
b.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	humour.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	129181  
Old 08-08-2016, 18:25   #20
WWV

Thanks for article. Have read that one and few others. Keep 'em coming.... :-)
WWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 18:25   #21

OK.

But why should it be more durable or higher quality if the target owner is about to use the boat a couple of weeks a year?

Hence one of my questions was if she is meant for charter.

I think durability and high quality are important only when the boat is about to do some serious sailing.

I think less than 5% of all boats do any serious sailing.

Horses for the courses.

I like the boat. I am willing to take up as a skipper, should the owner want to keep her in a nice place in the Med and pop in with his younger wife and their daughters a couple of times a year. I charge very reasonable rates and can maintain all onbard systems.

Love,
b.
Old 08-08-2016, 19:51   #22

Boat: various junk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkstar View Post
Sometimes I wish this Message Board had a Like Button

there ya go...
expatri8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 22:14   #23

Boat: FP Lipari 40' Catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Toys_with_time

[QUOTE=WWV;2184216]I see the post on the 4.0 but wondering opinions on the 4.5 non-fly bridge version.

Seems to fall in line with most the other mid 40's??? And doesn't have that garage door that most seem to not like.

Opinions?

Out ofTHE ORDINARY SPECIFICATIONS

USE ALL THE SUPERLATIVES THAT YOU LIKE

An unrivalled level of self-sufficiency in its class, sail area to light displacement the highest in its class, standard or FLYBRIDGE helm station, “square-topped” mainsail or standard, 2, 3 and 4 cabin versions, OPEN Space concept,…

I was moored next to one last week and the charterers were very unimpressed with the build quality and the quality of the fittings. They were a group who regularly chartered and said they would never take a Bali again so maybe charter one yourself and form your own opinion before you splash the cash.

TwT
Old 09-08-2016, 00:48   #24

Boat: PT-11

42 ft waterline, 16 t and 112 sq m sail area says all I need to know.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:41   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
42 ft waterline, 16 t and 112 sq m sail area says all I need to know.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
QFT. To be blunt - wouldn't sail out of sight on a dark night with a cyclone up its posterior
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:39   #26
Marine Service Provider

I have not sailed the 4.5 but I have sailed the 4.3 and the 4.0. I was not impressed with the quality of the build. I really didn't like the large home refrigerator and the sailing characteristics were horrible. So - hopefully they have at least fixed the sailing characteristics on the 4.5.

What I did really like about the 4.3 was that it was a great platform for hanging out in the anchorage. Tons of space and lots of social areas. We spent the weekend with some friends celebrating their birthday. The boat was perfect for that.

It seems to me that Catana has built the Bali line to get into the charter market where sailing is secondary to comfort at anchor and social space. So - yeah really designed for coastal cruising and island hopping in the Caribbean.
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 13:55   #27

The 4.5 is built in Canet at the Catania factory, the 4.0 and 4.3 in la Rochelle. So would not assume the build quality is the same. I spoke to someone at Southampton last year that said they had had a great sail across Biscay in the 4.5 and had been surprised at the performance. I think they generally recommend the square topped main for extra pace as well. Most have been bought by French owners and charter co.s so try and ask around.

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Naughty Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 00:56   #28

I have stepped aboard it and like others have mentioned it, did not like the finish, it was worse than Ikea if you know what am saying. So, you sail it a few times a year in good weather and coastal waters, it's a great platform to entertain. You wanna sail it a little bit further, the inside is not up to standard and would end up in pieces in the short term. Catana has diversified into the charter market and that is fine for them but don't fall for the glossy brochures. You step aboard a Leopard and you feel the difference, not to mention a real
Catana.
Best
Waveda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 17:15   #29

Where on the Bali cats does one store the tender? There doesn't seem to be any davits?
kryptonjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 17:29   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonjohn View Post
Where on the Bali cats does one store the tender? There doesn't seem to be any davits?
There is a davit system similar in concept to the Leopard (stainless steel structure), except it's just a straight bar instead of an angled bar. It pivots from the deck away from the hardtop support poles and lowers the dingy.

I think Leopard has a better designed system as it is more "L" shaped with the dingy weight pulling vertically downward versus at an angle with the "I" shaped straight bar system on the Bali.

See attached link for pic.
Bali 4.5, boat specification Bali 4.5

Spear06 is offline   Reply With Quote