Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2017, 21:53   #121

Re: Ok, What about Bali 4.5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
The ignorance of this post is astounding. Don't bother responding, I'm already gone. Its not worth it.
As someone who shares your view on the boat, I just don't get your intensity. The guy is asking questions. Share your knowledge. If he agrees, he agrees... if not, not.

It's just a bummer that so many of the threads I click on start out with "oh that sounds interesting, I'll read what people are saying about that" and then it's often just pages and pages of emotions and tangents rather than elucidation.
Thalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 21:53   #122
cruiser

Boat: OPBs
Ok, What about Bali 4.5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CbroTheDude View Post
As I said, all super old cats with low freeboard and bridgedeck clearance and old materials. Don't tell me nothing has moved in 20 years of shipbuilding. And please stop mentioning laws of physics when you haven't even come close to quoting one relevant law.

If you understood why it was an issue then, you'd have a clue as to why it's still an issue. Don't take the word of the many people on this thread with more knowledge and experience than you, go read it for yourself. There's plenty of information out there. Be the sponge
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 21:54   #123

Boat: Pogo 10,50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
Yes the reason is the salespeople/marketing told him it would be good for rtw cruising.

Thats where the problem lies. Catana have done a clever thing and built a charter oriented cat while keeping their blue water line pure but then the sales guys get ahold of it and try and pitch it as a budget version catana world cruiser for guys that cant afford a "real" catana.

No need to play smug like you see everything that isn't said, haven't talked to a salesman since before these boats even existed
CbroTheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 22:07   #124

Quote:
Please read properly my comment before answering BS and making me say what I didn't say
Hilarious!
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 22:10   #125

Boat: between boats

Quote:
No need to play smug like you see everything that isn't said, haven't talked to a salesman since before these boats even existed
OK then ill humour you - if its not marketing spin that makes you ignore the opinions of all these experienced guys that have posted with exactly the same opinion just what is it?

I mean come on you have got to have some pretty sure knowledge on this issue from somewhere to go against probably 100 odd years of combined cat sailing experience all saying the same thing right?
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 22:50   #126

I will preface this comment with "I have zero experience with or even an opinion one way or the other on the Bali 4.5 in question, have never been on one" but the solid deck issue being discussed interests me.

Is there such a thing as a Blue water capable 40 to 60 foot Power cat?

If yes, how do they deal with the solid front deck issue at sea?

Most Power Cats I have seen are without nets, but that does not mean they are not out there.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 23:11   #127
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Power cats are very different beasts, the centering of weight is not as important, the power means they can maintain speed to sit behind large swells, they have very different hull shapes, some have bulbs on the bow, very different beasts.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 23:29   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Power cats are very different beasts, the centering of weight is not as important, the power means they can maintain speed to sit behind large swells, they have very different hull shapes, some have bulbs on the bow, very different beasts.
Understand that and all makes sense, what do they do for water over the bows or does that not occur as much because of fore mentioned design features.

Some of the complaints about the Bali where the way it did not clear the water off its fore deck fast enough. Just wondered how the power type cats dealt with that.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 23:44   #129

I think the reality is that powercats simply don't see the same conditions.

Passage times are shorter and powerboat guys look for flat calm conditions, where sailors look for some breeze.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 23:57   #130
cruiser

Taking water over the bow is less of a concern because the bow designs are completely different with more buoyancy. Powercats have greater control over their speed, while sailboats don’t, so they can stop themselves from plowing into the back of a wave with the throttle and especially if there’s water washing off the deck holding the bow down. Lots of designs have hard chines forward which allows them to use power to get themselves out of some situations and then throttle off. Some have trim tabs at the back to help keep the bow up. Some have bulbs just below the waterline projecting forward. There’s lots of ways of doing it in powercats but these aren’t efficient sailing designs due to drag, windage etc.
Old 27-04-2017, 00:04   #131
cruiser

Also the height of the bows/freeboard is higher.
Old 27-04-2017, 04:16   #132

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40, BMW R1200GS

Hi all
Great forum
Sorry but I got the humour above and even read it out to my wife who also lol

I came from mono world
I am now in cat world and loving it

One lesson I got very early on from the legendary Geoff Cruse in Brisbane who started out as an 18 year old building a kit trimaran with 4 mates and is now a 60+ year old marine surveyor of multi hills after a life on the water in everything you can think of

If it looks like an apartment it will sail like an apartment

If u want an apartment the Bali or lagoon are great! U want good comfort and reasonable sailing performance get a fountain pajot. U want out right performance get a schioning, a catana or anything else with dagger boards

It is really up to your needs. I know people on a lagoon 44 who love it and others on a schionning who love it

Find the sweet spot by looking at many many boats for sale. Talk to blue water cruisers who have really done ocean crossings if you want to cross oceans

Want to stay in safe water and around islands find people who have done it many times

Just remember whatever boat the person you are talking to currently owns, is the very best boat in the world, for that person

Find your own sweet spot and you find it by looking at lots of 2nd hand boats. Look in your price bracket, below your price bracket and above your price bracket. You will be surprised by how many boats out of your price bracket you either love or hate, but it is all education.

Good luck

PS. If buying a new boat be prepared to write off 40% of purchase price I a few years of use. New boats cost lots in depreciation
ducati996guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 08:08   #133

Boat: PT-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalas View Post
As someone who shares your view on the boat, I just don't get your intensity. The guy is asking questions. Share your knowledge. If he agrees, he agrees... if not, not.

It's just a bummer that so many of the threads I click on start out with "oh that sounds interesting, I'll read what people are saying about that" and then it's often just pages and pages of emotions and tangents rather than elucidation.
Not intensity, if it were it would have been a more technical rebuttal. It was a late night with a little buzz on annoyance at a newbie who refuses to learn anything. After a while here, you'll see there are all types. Take in stride, bud.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 16:02   #134

"PS. If buying a new boat be prepared to write off 40% of purchase price I a few years of use. New boats cost lots in depreciation"

Really! Have you ever checked out what owners of these boats are asking?
geoff326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 06:31   #135

Boat: a sailing boat

I am not sure the % is 40 or 30 or 50. But it is there.

And whatever the seller is asking is irrelevant. If the asking is too high, the boat does not sell. The sale is at a price agreed by the buyer (who has the money) and the seller (with their asking). A point is found, not always mid-one.

The market is flooded with alike boats. There is an oversupply. Meanwhile manufacturers turn out piles of newer CHEAPER models.

This is bad environment for a seller.

So, buy a Bali sell it later let me know how it went. I can tell you only one thing our friends sold a 60+' Oyster recently, boat 4 years old. They lost about 25% vs. the factory 2012 price. However all the extras went with the boat and so the actual pain was somewhat more acute.

So, do not get shell shocked when someone says 40% is lost in the early years. Depending on the boat and what extras you purchased from the dealer, this could actually be the figure.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote