Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2021, 06:48   #46

Boat: Catamaran Cruisers Aqua Cruiser 41
Re: Old Hull Vs Newer Hull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creedence View Post
Whatever you do... “Don’t listen to anyone who says you have to start conservatively.... that’s what “hilarious” jokes are made of.....
I started conservatively and learned along the way.... Do what I did.”

Masterful advice. This forum’s membership is simply overflowing with those who have thrown caution out the window in favor of impulsiveness. Let’s go through the archives and count the successful voyages they’ve made.

You’re advocating exactly what those suggesting moderation are recommending while at the same time denigrating them.

Of course you can LEARN along the way, that’s the entire point. Maybe don’t worry about crossing oceans on day 1, get a boat and learn how to fix your toilet first (among a thousand other things).

There are enough context clues in this thread to suggest the OP should embrace fundamentals before racing to the finish with exotic solutions. Who wants to learn fundamentals in an “INOVATIVELY” conceived cluge-machine?... DONALD CROWHURST anybody??
Maybe some folks learn faster than others? Lol
dc9loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2021, 18:47   #47

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniopp View Post
I considering purchasing a Leopard 45-52 for live aboard circumnavigation. A new version is out of my price range and the initial depreciation is a concern.

I’m interested to hear everyone’s opinion on which of the following scenarios is better-

Scenario 1:
Purchase a 2018 Leopard 45-52 for around $600,000 and use as is until things start to go wrong. It may not contain my preferred brand and all desired electronics.

Scenario 2:
Purchase a 2013 Leopard 45-52 for around $400,000 and replace all rigging, sails, engines and preferred brand electronics. I would replace the Diesel engine with Oceanvolt motors.

Which would you do and why?

If I replace most of the critical components (rigging, sails, engine, electronics) on an older hull, will I loose on my investment in the long run? Have I missed any critical components?

Also, is a 2013 hull (that has passed a survey) as good as a 2018 hull (that has passed a survey)?
Thanks.
A 2013 model is in my books a new boat...why would you replace your engine, sails or instruments if they are still in working order?
But hey its your money.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2021, 19:47   #48

Boat: Spindrift 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc9loser View Post
Maybe some folks learn faster than others? Lol
MANY do. But quick learners seem to rarely shop for validation on Internet forums.

I say, do your risk assessment...then take your plunge. Or don’t- no one here is begging for new content contributors.
Creedence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull