Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2013, 09:43   #31

Boat: too many
Re: OMG! We're about to build an Isara 45

I wonder if the sea kindly ride the Sundeer offers has anything to do with the davits not being taxed in offshore conditions?

So I'll re-phrase, on most boats I cringe, but probably not yours.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 17:09   #32

Boat: having an Isara 45 cat built

Jedi...wow, what a boat! Love it~ And I'd have to say your success off shore with the dinghy/motor on the davits probably has a whole lot to do with that nice tall arch and the height you can haul it at.
bryguy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 17:35   #33

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryguy67 View Post
Jedi...wow, what a boat! Love it~ And I'd have to say your success off shore with the dinghy/motor on the davits probably has a whole lot to do with that nice tall arch and the height you can haul it at.
The Sundeer is a cruiser's cruiser. Sails fast (probably pretty easy to knock off 225 nm day runs) and flat, less heal than any other monos I can think of. One small aspect of cats that has me a little concerned is unlike a mono, they don't de-power by healing and dumping wind from the sails in a gust, otherwise for most all other aspects of the cruising lifestyle I would consider a cat next time.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 17:52   #34
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Thanks guys; I just re-rigged the tackles that hoist the dinghy so that it is a foot higher now. It makes it easier for me to move to/from the swimming platform while the dinghy is up there.

Cats have the best dinghy hoist but we're pretty close and it works really well.

But I see many (also smaller) boats that got it right. Sundeers don't have that arch on the stern; I had to get that custom made and so can every boat. It's so strong that the dinghy will be fine on these arches even when the ride is rough. I also see arches made out of bimini parts which will not do so well.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 04:05   #35

Boat: Hans Christian 4750 "Offshore Explorer"
We are seriously considering an Isara 45 after going on the Isara 50 at Annapolis and reading everything we can find, including the posts on this forum. Have you gone ahead with contracts? Have a delivery date?
Jungle Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 04:27   #36

Boat: Lagoon 440

Congratulations a cool looking boat! Just to confirm we have no gas onboard and love the freedom of only having to find one fuel....Diesel.

Works for us. Cheers Frank & Viv 'DOMINOS'
Old 22-06-2013, 05:49   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
......... but I do agree to put maximum weight in the contract and arrange for an official weighing, not just the built-in scale of a crane and no talk later like "we'll take care if that after the launch" etc. Be on top of that.
Absolutely +1
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 04:05   #38

Quote:
Ok our "crazy meter" is pegged ...My wife and I are days away from pulling the trigger to build a new cat. Our attorney is reviewing the documents and the spec sheet is 99% finished. This is more emotional than I ever dreamed. We've had the "float plan" for years with the intentions of semi-retiring and moving aboard and now all of the pieces of that plan are coming together super fast and right on schedule (ok maybe a few months early even). Our smaller catamaran, a PDQ32 has just sold; a very bitter sweet moment. She was our "practice" cat on the Great Lakes for 4 years to get us prepped for the big cat on the ocean. We made our wish list for the new boat based on our experiences on the PDQ. The other assets that we need to sell are selling and we've started the downsizing process by emptying out the basement and garage at home. Holy smokes, be careful what you wish for my friends...this can really happen! But in addition to feeling like we are sliding down a steep, greased hill with no brakes we also are super excited. The Isara is a quality boat and we have the opportunity to make her just what we want. They are very willing to work with our special requests and have "green" options that I just love like the Yanmar-warranted parallel hybrid system (55HP diesels with small integrated electric motors/hydro generators), all electric appliances etc. Soooo...be honest...are we crazy?!
We are seriously considering an Isara 45 and are very interested in your experiences. Do you have one on order ? Delivery date?
We have a million questions!
Old 27-06-2013, 05:43   #39

It's official...we've ordered the boat! We're excited, and strangely not so nervous anymore. We can't really use the boat until a year from now so we've put one year as the build deadline; very possible it will be complete before that but they do have 2 others to build right in front of ours. I must say that after taking the advice of the wise CF members here, I really put the poor guys at Isara through the ringer. They were fair and reasonable to work with and the things we worked together on may just pave the way for future buyers to have a smoother experience. I think if I had tried to put a French builder through the same ringer they would have told me to take a hike. All I have to say now is...LET'S BUILD A BOAT!
JungleStone: hit me with those million questions...I'd be happy to help.
Old 27-06-2013, 06:28   #40

Congratulations! We are in a similar situation--we don't really need a new boat for at least a year so waiting is not a problem. We live for 7 months of the year on St. John in the USVI and sail the eastern Caribbean 3 of those months on a 48 foot monohull. It has served us well but as we get a little older we want the stability and space of a monohull; and we haven't seen any that look better than the Isara.

Here are my current questions:
1. Where did you buy the boat? What broker did you use?
2. I haven't seen a final spec sheet or price list for the 45. Did you get one?
3. How did you end up with davits/storage of a dinghy? Are you using the storeage at the back of deck? Chocks? Keeping the back "open"?
4. The dealer we spoke to (Bay Yachts in Annapolis) suggested Isara might be OK with a refundable deposit that could be returned up to the time a 45 was in the US available for a trial sail. Did you hear anything like that? Do you know when they will have a 45 available for showing?
5. You mentioned using a lawyer who presumably specializes in marine contracts. Were you pleased with him/her? Recommend them to us?
6. Their web site talks about customization. Did you work with them to customize your boat and if so, how did it go?
7. Who would you suggest we contact at Isara to get started?

Thanks for any help you can give. We'll let you know how it goes at our end--let's stay in touch.

Jungle Stone
Old 27-06-2013, 07:31   #41

JungleStone,
Sounds like you have a great life! Here are the answers to your questions:
1. Our broker was Graham at World Wide Catamarans. Nice guy to work with. graham@worldwidecatamarans.com We also met personally with the Isara company principals and have had much contact with them through this process.
2. The spec sheet/price sheet exists. I'm sure Graham can get that to you.
3. The davits are telescoping; like nothing I've seen before. I ran them by independent engineers for their thoughts just to be sure it was a reasonable idea. More drawings coming soon on this set up.
4. My opinion is that you are getting mis-information from a salesperson on the refundable deposit. I would guess it will be Spring before you can step foot on anyones Isara 45.
5. Please private message me on that one.
6. We had talks re: custom work and have made some custom requests. They were just super about this. I suggest being very specific on any custom requests just to cover your own tail.
7. Cris Jackman at Isara is very knowledgeable. cris@isarayachts.com

So that's 7 questions...only 999,993 to go!
Old 27-06-2013, 08:35   #42

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat

Congrats guys on your decision to build a new Cat! I don't think you're crazy at all. If you wanted to build a cat and had the opportunity, health, resources, and life partner who shared in your dream to build a cat BUT did NOT build a cat well then you would be crazy. BUt thats not the case here. I do agree, however, with a lot of the other replies and concerns they have brought up such as going all green and bridge deck clearance and most importantly new builder and untested design but thats your call. You researched it and made the call. Done. After personally meeting these guys and seeing a 50 at Annapolis I am sure that helped you make your decision.

One thing you really never fully explained is what exactly you plan on doing with your new cat. You mentioned live aboard but where? What are your cruising intentions? Low and slow in the Caribe? Performance blue water? RTW? Hopefully the performance of your new Cat meets your expectations when the winds hits your sails.
No matter what I applaud you. Have a great time! and yes YOLO!
Old 27-06-2013, 09:09   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
Congratulations a cool looking boat! Just to confirm we have no gas onboard and love the freedom of only having to find one fuel....Diesel.

Works for us. Cheers Frank & Viv 'DOMINOS'

Frank,

No fuel on board except diesel...awesome. Please let me know how you are powering your dinghy. I'm in the process of designing my second solar charged electric dinghy.

~Bryan
Old 27-06-2013, 09:13   #44

[QUOTE=category4jay;1271512]
One thing you really never fully explained is what exactly you plan on doing with your new cat. You mentioned live aboard but where? What are your cruising intentions? Low and slow in the Caribe? Performance blue water? RTW? QUOTE]

The basis of our plan is to not have a plan. We don't wish to sail on a schedule other than needing to get the Hell out before hurricane season. We want to sail in warm climates and prefer to stay on Planet Earth, lol. There will be no "home port." Home will be where the boat is.
Old 28-06-2013, 03:40   #45

Quote:
JungleStone,
Sounds like you have a great life! Here are the answers to your questions:
1. Our broker was Graham at World Wide Catamarans. Nice guy to work with. graham@worldwidecatamarans.com We also met personally with the Isara company principals and have had much contact with them through this process.
2. The spec sheet/price sheet exists. I'm sure Graham can get that to you.
3. The davits are telescoping; like nothing I've seen before. I ran them by independent engineers for their thoughts just to be sure it was a reasonable idea. More drawings coming soon on this set up.
4. My opinion is that you are getting mis-information from a salesperson on the refundable deposit. I would guess it will be Spring before you can step foot on anyones Isara 45.
5. Please private message me on that one.
6. We had talks re: custom work and have made some custom requests. They were just super about this. I suggest being very specific on any custom requests just to cover your own tail.
7. Cris Jackman at Isara is very knowledgeable. cris@isarayachts.com

So that's 7 questions...only 999,993 to go!
Thanks for the quick response. Proving I am not a technologist and new to this forum, how do I set up a private message? When I clock on messaging it just says I am not authorized and I can't find anything in settings.

Jungle Stone