Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2021, 05:46   #16

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat
Re: On the Hard Cost vs In Water Slip Cost

I prefer leaving the boat on the hard when I'm going to be away from it for several months (over the summer) and it does cost a bit more on the east coast, but I find it worth the piece of mind when 2 or 3,000 miles away from it. Don't have to worry about failed float switches (have had many) and other stuff that can go wrong when unattended. Especially true this summer since it is due for a bottom job anyways and will do when I come back to it in the fall.

Also, FYI, Scorpion Yard in Port Canaveral is probably closest that can haul you. Didn't end up using them but had good vibes from them. Don't know how much DIY you can do there.

Have fun with your new toy.

Bill
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2021, 19:21   #17

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'
Re: On the Hard Cost vs In Water Slip Cost

It is always more fun to work on boat in the water. Get the bottom done, saildrives, and thruhulls. Then put back into water. Life on the hard is well hard! Climbing 6-8' up a swim ladder to a hot non airconditioned boat only to find your self in the bilge replacing pumps and switches or worse in a small compartment tracking down a electrical bad connection is not a way to live. We can only sweat so much. Plus, we got to love that guy that is dumping his black water next to us in the yard. (actually happened to us) Or the guy grinding fiberglass up wind of our precious vessel. (also happened to us)
In the water, we have air conditioning, refrigeration, and a "cool" place to work while drinking a couple of beers.
It is about the quality of time on our boats.
Personally, I like to work a few hours in the morning then going for a sail in the seabreeze of the afternoon.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
on the hard, water