Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2014, 12:50   #91
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473
Re: Osmosis treatment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Doume View Post
This post is from a friend of mine presently visiting us , nothing to do with me !
It would be wiser not to allow friends access to your CF account, it could lead to all sorts of problems.
I find it odd that your friend only discovered the osmosis issue after having visited you and taken control of your computer. Did it never come up in conversation down at the pub?
nigel1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 21:15   #92
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon

Hi All,
To those following this thread and especially the He'lia 44 owners out there I have been given information on the He'lia 'allegedly affected by osmosis in the Med'.
This was a new He'lia delivered by road to Canet and not yet antifouled so had not even been in the water. The boat had slight damage during handling and needed gelcoat repair. Also the first lay-up is hand made and some small gel coat bubbles may appear which need to be touched up. A minor job having nothing at all to do with hydrolysis.
All the new FP boats are built with the best barrier against hydrolysis using vinylester resin. Boats are also being bench tested with hot demineralized water to ensure there is no issue.
I have provided this link which will help explain the process in more detail.
Fountaine Pajot / A Leading Company

Cheers Gordon.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:31   #93
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Hi All,
To those following this thread and especially the He'lia 44 owners out there I have been given information on the He'lia 'allegedly affected by osmosis in the Med'.
This was a new He'lia delivered by road to Canet and not yet antifouled so had not even been in the water. The boat had slight damage during handling and needed gelcoat repair. Also the first lay-up is hand made and some small gel coat bubbles may appear which need to be touched up. A minor job having nothing at all to do with hydrolysis.
All the new FP boats are built with the best barrier against hydrolysis using vinylester resin. Boats are also being bench tested with hot demineralized water to ensure there is no issue.
I have provided this link which will help explain the process in more detail.
Fountaine Pajot / A Leading Company

Cheers Gordon.

Hasn't even been in the water yet and it's already got blisters! That's what some people here have been trying to say, the blisters on these boats aren't a result of osmosis, but rather poor laminate quality. All you have to do is take a grinder to one and the truth is revealed. They aren't all like that, but the laminators over there suck. Way too many are. Other builders don't have the same problem. Ask them to post video of several molds being skinned and see if they are willing. I doubt it.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:51   #94

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I agree with Minaret. That description of a boat just out of production with gelcoat voids is more shocking than an actual hydrolysis problem. This is just not a common manufacturing problem. The hull is the easiest mold to layup, and if it has lamination voids, just think about the rest of the boat!

You certainly don't want to go tapping on any corners of your deck...

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, osmosis