Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2018, 14:37   #136

Re: Our Dream of Sailboat Living + Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_morwood View Post
In terms of numbers, you are probably looking at closer to 4% to 6% for blue water insurance
WOW!

Is that correct? That must really throw a wrench in people's plans when they learn that!

The common advice of "go smaller" (and cheaper) sure carries a lot more weight if your new, kitted out for cruising Lagoon 450 is going to cost $42,000/year to insure in the Pacific!
ssmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 14:59   #137

Location: Brisbane after cruising (Atlantic -> Med -> Carib -> Pacific)
Boat: Vancouver 36, Hobie 33, Catana 48, now all with new owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmoot View Post
WOW!

Is that correct? That must really throw a wrench in people's plans when they learn that!

The common advice of "go smaller" (and cheaper) sure carries a lot more weight if your new, kitted out for cruising Lagoon 450 is going to cost $42,000/year to insure in the Pacific!
I just double checked, and I had the range a little high. We paid just under $10k for the S Pacific for a year for a boat insured for $270K, which is "only" 3.7%.
mark_morwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 15:06   #138

Boat: Cruisers Yacht, 3870 - 43 LOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingGuppy View Post
Senior sailing. Now that niche probably would take off!
Nah, according to AARP I’m a senior and I wouldn’t watch me or some other old fart talk about the glory days and how you youngsters should do it like we did having not made ONE mistake in the process.

You’re 30! Go live that dream. Buy the boat you want or more importantly which will make you and your wife feel at home. Do some day sailing, small passages, etc. The Caribbean is huge and you could spend a few years there gaining valuable experience within internet range.

If you can finance it and it works financially then do it. I’m retired military and drawing SS. My wife will retire as a hospital administrator but still teach online for two universities (we’ll need internet for the first couple years) that she’s teaching for now. We plan to sell it all and finance because it makes sense for us and that’s all that matters.

There have been several who have provided useful information and there are other “salty dogs” that would hate to see that 30 something year old do it 35 years before they did, if they did.

Good luck! BTW I love the YouTube channels. Mainly Cats something about the salty dog mono sailors that rub me wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_morwood View Post
I just double checked, and I had the range a little high. We paid just under $10k for the S Pacific for a year for a boat insured for $270K, which is "only" 3.7%.
That actually looks like 2.7% but math has never been my thing.

Quote:
Is anyone going to the Tampa boat show Sept 7-9th or has been at previous years?

I was thinking of going to checkout all the boats, but it looks like they may have slim to none actual cat's.

I think that's the soonest opportunity to at least step foot in some mono and multi hulls.

They have classes to go out for 3+ hours and start learning. Only about $129per person.
Go to Annapolis in Oct. way more Cats and a lot of seminars to help answer some of your questions including insurance and financing.
ShellBack89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 15:22   #139
CLOD

Boat: none

Reading this I think I need to stop cruising, I appear to be doing everything wrong.
Old 31-08-2018, 16:32   #140
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmoot View Post
WOW!

He needs to shop around. We pay less than $5000 for a boat costing significantly more.

Or maybe we’re doing everything wrong like Sailorboy.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 19:19   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellBack89 View Post

10 / 270 = 0.037 = 3.7%
Old 31-08-2018, 19:26   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
He needs to shop around. We pay less than $5000 for a boat costing significantly more.

Or maybe we’re doing everything wrong like Sailorboy.
We paid significantly less for coverage in the Atlantic and Med in 2012 to 2014 than we did in the S Pacific in 2015. There was definitely a significant premium for coverage in the S Pacific (I think it was about 50% extra), but it does seem to fluctuate from year to year as well depending I suspect on how bad the hurricane season has been in the Caribbean the year or two before. We were also happy to pay a bit more with Panteanius than we might have found elsewhere as they had been very helpful and responsive when we had made a claim for lightning damage in 2012.
Old 31-08-2018, 21:03   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellBack89 View Post
Nah, according to AARP I’m a senior and I wouldn’t watch me or some other old fart talk about the glory days and how you youngsters should do it like we did having not made ONE mistake in the process.

You’re 30! Go live that dream. Buy the boat you want or more importantly which will make you and your wife feel at home. Do some day sailing, small passages, etc. The Caribbean is huge and you could spend a few years there gaining valuable experience within internet range.

If you can finance it and it works financially then do it. I’m retired military and drawing SS. My wife will retire as a hospital administrator but still teach online for two universities (we’ll need internet for the first couple years) that she’s teaching for now. We plan to sell it all and finance because it makes sense for us and that’s all that matters.

There have been several who have provided useful information and there are other “salty dogs” that would hate to see that 30 something year old do it 35 years before they did, if they did.

Good luck! BTW I love the YouTube channels. Mainly Cats something about the salty dog mono sailors that rub me wrong.

Go to Annapolis in Oct. way more Cats and a lot of seminars to help answer some of your questions including insurance and financing.

Appreciate you taking the time to write all this out.

What yacht are you looking into for yourselves?

We may go to Annapolis if we're able to change some pre-scheduled things. I read its the largest in the US so I want to make it happen. For the short time though we'll probably checkout Tampa's. Even if they dont have any sailing cats, itll be worth looking at monohulls.
KingGuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 21:25   #144

Boat: Cruisers Yacht, 3870 - 43 LOA

Quote:
Appreciate you taking the time to write all this out.

What yacht are you looking into for yourselves?

We may go to Annapolis if we're able to change some pre-scheduled things. I read its the largest in the US so I want to make it happen. For the short time though we'll probably checkout Tampa's. Even if they dont have any sailing cats, itll be worth looking at monohulls.

I got an email about Tampa.

Tampa International Boat Show: September 7 - 9, 2018
Proudly displaying our Leopard 43 PC, we invite you to join us at the Tampa Convention Center. We will have our sales agents available to answer questions about the boat on display, in addition to all of the other yachts in our award-winning fleet. Click the button below to schedule an appointment today!

If you go to Leopards website and register you'll get an email to make an appointment. I get that it's a PC but at least you'll get to talk to Leopard about their other boats and can show your wife what space is available on a Cat if she hasn't already been on one.

We're looking at the top 3 just like you. Something between a 42 - 45 but we're still a ways off. We're leaning toward Leopard because of the access when things break and because they are proven to hold up during charters (drive it like you stole it crowd). We have a large power boat we're in the process of selling and a smaller bay boat that' we'll keep until it's time to sell it all.

I've rebuilt two boats from the fiberglass up so I get where everyone is coming from about experience but until I cut out everything on our first boat, I hadn't rebuilt anything. Now, I understand electrical, fiberglass, engines, etc. YouTube and forums were awesome for information. Annapolis has seminars on diesel repair. Also, look at local tech or community colleges for classes.

For the people telling you to buy a small monohull and "work" your way up. Don't waste your time. You can charter these same boats after getting your ASA classes done and build up your confidence. Put that money you would have spent on three different classes of boat into your cruising kitty or invest it at 12% which ever you decide to do with your money.

You've been given some great advice. Take the rest with a grain of old salt. Good luck on your dream. Dreams are what keep us going
ShellBack89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 21:30   #145

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

Buy a dinghy, learn to sail. Then maybe buy a Hobie Cat (if you are into cats) or something that takes skill. When you can handle this, you can graduate to your first keel boat, not too big, say 30´. A few years with this and you are ready for your cat. A 40' cat is a BIG boat, like a 55' keel boat.

Yes, you will be able to handle the boat without experience, but when the **** hits the fan (and it does)........ .

Right now you are not experienced enough to either decide which type of boat to buy, or to go cruising. Your questions are numbers 2224-2230 on the important list.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:37   #146
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinR View Post
Buy a dinghy, learn to sail. Then maybe buy a Hobie Cat (if you are into cats) or something that takes skill. When you can handle this, you can graduate to your first keel boat, not too big, say 30´. A few years with this and you are ready for your cat. A 40' cat is a BIG boat, like a 55' keel boat.

Yes, you will be able to handle the boat without experience, but when the **** hits the fan (and it does)........ .

Right now you are not experienced enough to either decide which type of boat to buy, or to go cruising. Your questions are numbers 2224-2230 on the important list.
Our 62 is the easiest boat to use out of the six boats we’ve owned, I just spent five weeks sailing singlehanded. Easy buttons galore with manual over-rides.

To be honest, the poop seems to hit the fan much more often on smaller boats.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:18   #147

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinR View Post

Following your advice I wouldn't be sailing at all. My wife would not have voted for sailing, let alone cruising, on a 30ft keel boat.

My first boat was a Lagoon 410 and was easy to handle. First cruise was out the harbour. Second was a 80nm passage to Mallorca. A few weeks later we were slowly on the way to Caribbean.

IMO a Hobie has not much in common with sailing a cruising cat.

Of course one can learn the dark secrets of sail trim on a Hobie. But one can easily handle a cruising cat without mastering this art - just a bit slower.

A cruising boat is more about keeping the crew happy and the boat in working condition, and playing it safe. Sailing is the easy part.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:22   #148

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
To be honest, the poop seems to hit the fan much more often on smaller boats.
Exactly, that is why you should gain experience on small boats. Much more is happening. You learn much faster and gain experience. in a 27 footer, 30 knots of wind is a lot. It prepares you for the 40-50 knot on the big boat, where the forces are much stronger.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:37   #149
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
A cruising boat is more about keeping the crew happy and the boat in working condition, and playing it safe. Sailing is the easy part.

Boy is this a True Statement. Cruising boats spend 90-95% of their time at anchor or at the dock. So if it's not comfortable to live aboard on.....dream over.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 06:58   #150

Quote:
Hello Cruisers,
Experience
Yeah, we have none. In the past 10 years we've taken maybe 10 cruises and traveled to 20+ countries, including all over Europe. Throughout these adventures, we've had several ocean boating experience, including one in Italy where they let us rent a motor boat to drive around the island of Capri. We almost got stranded in the middle of the ocean and later almost hit rocks. What we learned from all these trips is that we love the water, but would probably not last a day with our current skill set.

We're currently a month deep into reading sailing guides, watching YouTube videos, and playing a Sailing Simulator to learn the ropes before we'd ultimately take the ASA sailing classes next year.

Questions for You
1. Caribbean vs Mediterranean?
Online boat shopping leads us to believe that buying in Greece or Croatia and sticking the Greek islands is a great way to get started, at the cheapest price. It looks like the Mediterranean has better cities to visit, but the Caribbean has better snorkeling. Anyone been to both and can share their experiences of both?

Thank you cruisers!
First off I'm not an expert cruiser but we will be doing very similar to you and setting sail over the next few weeks - however, I am a relatively experienced sailor and am a delivery skipper and instructor. It's a great idea to tackle this adventure so young. I'm nearly 30 years older. So here's my advice for the answers I can give you: Don't worry overly about the lack of experience - you''ll soon pick things up. You're already asking people their advice so you will have plenty of that to contend with. Do try and get some courses in before you set off - they will help you to build up your understanding - then take it slow and you will get the hang of things - never be afraid to ask others.

Don't underestimate the length of time it takes to find and buy a boat. This process will test you and will build your knowledge of your craft. You've already determined the type of boat you want - stay flexible on that - do go and see lots of types and balance the pros and cons - all boats are a compromise. When you find a boat you'd like to buy do employ an english speaking surveyor (get one that is reputable and he won't come cheap - reckon on around $4k) - what he finds out for you will save you more than his fee and will buy you realism as well as peace of mind. I would suggest that the Med is easier sailing than the Caribbean. However, your issue is then - buying in a country/location with which you are content to have the repair/refit work done and finding a surveyor in that place - in both these cases unless you are fluent in the local language I advise you to choose people that speak excellent English - I suggest using the YDSA website to find a surveyor. You may have to live on dry land while your boat is being fitted out but air bnb can help you there. Your figures for repairs are about right but don't get caught out - make sure you have sufficient savings so that you can afford to get home when you need to or go on that one off diving trip or buy a new set of sails when you least expect to. I hope this helps. Kind regards Redders
Saltybum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat