Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2009, 12:54   #1

Our Friends on Butterfly are Finally At Sea!!!

I just so luv Karen's writing style. She is a joy to read!! With an obvious sparkle shining through her words, she relays that Butterfly has now left Durban and they are happily under sail towards Capetown. After all they've experienced, I'm very happy that they've finally set off on their journey! Here's wishing them many safe and happy miles at sea as they start their adventure.

Quote:
somewhere just off the east coast of Africa, fifty-three miles south of Durban, on the edge of the Agulhas current. It’s pitch black, and there’s a fine misty rain falling. Very little wind much of the time - and only about 7.5-8 knots as I type this, with occasional squalls gusting up to a very tame 13 knots or thereabouts. Behind us, phosphorescence spangles in the wake of both sugar scoops, and little rushes of it scurry by amidships, winking, snaking, writhing, then disappearing into the great nothingness of the gently rolling sea.
of Butterfly and Barnacle

(A gentlemanly request to try to keep this a celebration of fellow sailors who have embarked upon their adventure would be greatly appreciated)
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 13:22   #2
jkd

I too have enjoyed her writing style and photo’s. I find it appropriate that they slid out of Durban in light winds and a cleansing sprinkle of rain as if to bring some sense of calming relief from all they have been thru.
Good voyaging to them.
jkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:18   #3

I wish them well on their journey.
N.M.I.ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:05   #4

Have a safe and happy journey.

Have you ever noticed how nothing is impossible for those who don't have to do it? lol
johnnyreno13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 18:45   #5

After battling 50 knot winds, and 60 knot gusts, on their last day of passage, they've happily made it into Capetown no worse for the wear. looks as if they had one heck of a shakedown cruise and appear to be quite happy about how they came throught it....

Quote:
If a shake down cruise is intended to test a boat fully, then rounding the Cape of Good Hope has proved to be a damned good choice. From Saturday onwards, we have been bounced around big time – and I do mean, BIG TIME! Wave and wind have done their damnedest to put Butterfly through her paces. And all we can say is she appears to have passed the test well – at no point did we ever feel unsafe or fear for her ability to cope with it all.
of Butterfly and Barnacle
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote