Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2018, 17:27   #1

Outboard Size for 40 ft Cat

Hi all

i am thinking of buying a 40ft Crowther cat that needs a new home. It currently doesn't have engines but pretty stout outboard mounts

The guy selling it suggested i get two 9.9 yammi's

i was a bit concerned that this would be underpowered and was thinking more in line with twin 25's -- and run one at a time for longer cruising and both if needed for speed and control in wind/tide

any advice?

thanks
kmargolis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 17:38   #2

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Re: Outboard Size for 40 ft Cat

I would go with 40 hp outboards on a 40 foot cat.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 17:48   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
I would go with 40 hp outboards on a 40 foot cat.
Lol! Good one!

What does the boat weigh?

9.9 HT Yams would likely be adequate, the 25HTs would be plenty, but they are very big and heavy engines.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 17:55   #4

Some 40ft cats weigh 2 tons, others 20 tons. They do not require same size outboards. With the heaviest 40ft cats you would be better off with 4 outboards rather than just 2 and still require high thrust models as well.
Just Another Sa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 18:29   #5

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

I'm having a Seawind 1160 Lite catamaran built now. LOA 38 ft, displacement 14,300 lbs. Standard propulsion is twin Honda 20 hp outboards. I'm opting for twin Yamaha 25 hp high thrust outboards. For reference.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 20:00   #6
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

We have a 38' cat and also a 40' cat, both about 3 tons.
The 38'er is powered with a single Honda 15, cruises at low 6's top speed low 7's. Only time I feel we need a larger motor is in strong headwinds or steep chop.
The 40'er has twin Honda 9.9's. Only powered it one time from the boatyard to the marina where it currently sits. It did an easy 7kt cruise and well over 8 at top speed.
I'm guessing the Crowther is an easily driven cat so twin 9.9 high thrust would probably be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 20:10   #7

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

My cat loaded for a couple of nights is about 7.25t and 48' long.

I had 2 x 25hp High Thrust Yamahas, flat out around 8 knots cruised at around 6.5

I replaced them with 2 x 40hp Hondas not sure on figures for flat out yet (can't get full throttle from the controls - longer throw on the throttle linkage), cruise at 3,500rpm at a smidge over 8.5kn. Flat out should be 5500 to 6000 rpm, best case I think around 13+ kn.

The 40's are EFI, a big factor in my decision to go up in size. They are not High Trust though but it is the smallest HP rating using the same gearbox as bigger hp motors so they will be strong enough.

The 40's are a bit lighter than the 25's and similar, if not slightly better fuel economy with a speed advantage (6.5kn to 8.5kn), I guess 60% more HP and similar fuel efficiency I am happy. Speed for speed the Hondas will be better.

None of that directly relates to your use but if I were choosing again between two sizes, I'd go with the bigger size, you will have more control in the wind and swell.
Old 30-07-2018, 20:27   #8

We had a 38ft cat, 4 tonnes light ship. Originally powered by 2 9.9 Yamaha high thrust with low range gear box. 5 years later I swapped then out for 20HP Hondas with standard gearbox and 4 blade hi thrust props, for virtually no difference in performance - I was rather hoping twice the HP would give extra speed and push, did not work out that way, the low range gear box and bigger props were more beneficial than increased HP in this scenario. So for a 40ft cat I would get 20 - 25 HP with low gear and big props.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 21:25   #9

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

Our pdq 36 is 4.5 tons. Will do about 7.7 flat out with two yamahas . Great reverse and super when the going gets rough . There is a shockwave 38 fitted the same way. I have seen them on a 50 footer as well but don’t know how well they worked
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 21:35   #10
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

The mounting location makes a difference. On the transom they tend to go up and down, whereas farther forward they are stable. The PDQ, for example, has the engine wells far forward.
Old 31-07-2018, 00:40   #11

Boat: Chamberlin 11.6 catamaran

Can you post a pic of the boat - there are different types of Crowthers.

IMHO you should go the twin 25s. I have twin engines - one 9.9 and one 25. My boat sits right at the tipping point between the motors so I got a 9.9 to go with my then single 25. Then I made two new mounts.

The single 25 pushed my boat 9 knots flat out lightship. I can now get 9.9 with the 9.9. The 9.9 on its own gives me about 6-7 in a calm. The twins are really just for manouvring.

The new 9.9s are smaller than the old ones, they are 8 hp uprated whereas the old ones were 15s derated. I don't know how but I think some people rejetted the things to get 15s.

I now wish I had just gone twin 25s. I can't really switch engines when motoring and can spin around better one way than the other. I certainly wouldn't want to get in any sea or big winds with my boat and twin new 9.9s. My 25 is 15 years old and still purrs like a kitten (more like a tractor really) great engine and stellar gear box and prop. Great bite on the water but lots of people use Honda 20s too.

cheers

Phil
catsketcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2018, 02:12   #12

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmargolis3 View Post
Hi all

i am thinking of buying a 40ft Crowther cat that needs a new home. It currently doesn't have engines but pretty stout outboard mounts

The guy selling it suggested i get two 9.9 yammi's

i was a bit concerned that this would be underpowered and was thinking more in line with twin 25's -- and run one at a time for longer cruising and both if needed for speed and control in wind/tide

any advice?

thanks
I think 9.9s would likely be adequate; but even given the added weight, I would err on the side of being "overpowered." Think of it as insurance.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2018, 02:17   #13

In calm conditions, a light fast boat won't take a lot of HP but when fighting a strong headwind, power needs can go up quick.

So a pair of 10hp will likely do fine on a calm day but fighting your way up a narrow channel against a 30kt headwind, I would want the extra HP.

As someone mentioned, at 25hp, you can get EFI. We had that on our 34' Gemini and it was great. No carb issues. Starts right up. And if you go slow, you don't lose much efficiency over a 10hp.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2018, 04:38   #14

Boat: Crowther Spindrift 40'

I own a 40’ Crowther Spindrift with a single centre-mounted high thrust Yamaha 25.
There is plenty of spare power, I just have to stay away from marinas due to the almost uncontrollable state we get ourselves in at very low speed. I am considering adding a hydraulic steering kit, but it’s just another $1000 I could spend elsewhere.
And anyway, we use the engine surprisingly little.
Reefer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2018, 10:36   #15

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Another factor... if the criwrher u speak of is in the PNW.... wow...just do what the previous owner did... put two of your beefiest crew on the extended transom with oar locks and oars. Helps if you play Led Zeplin or Nirvana. He he

You actually have a lot to consider. Carburetors or fuel injected? Do you want redundancy in starting? An engine that can be started with electric start and pull coard? Will the motors be fixed or can they rotated with steering linkage? Will they be on sleds mounted more forward or will they be transom hung with strong bracket that is easy to hoist and drop?

Crowthers are beautiful machines. Whatever you do keep her as light as possible. You give up some comfort on speed machines so don’t go heavy on power. Another thought... you can man handle a 10-15 hp high thrust susuki or Yamaha. You go 25 Efi Honda or Merc... forget about man handling it. A brand new fuel injected Suzuki with dual start (pull and electric) with electric tilt weighs 110 lbs and cost me $2400 last year. A 20 hp Suzuki doesn’t weigh that much more and less than 3 k. EFI are more expensive and heavier machines because of bigger engines.

You must carefully weigh (pun intended) everything you do in s multihull. I agree with all the guys about about extra power when tide and wind against you. But tide is a known factor dealt with by timing your passage. Wind will slow you down tremendously. In some situations a large cat can barely make 4 knots even with twin diesels that are 50 hp. You can’t pick a power plant that will handle all situations... it is my point. Yamaha and Suzuki make the two best high thrust engines. There is no difference in weight beteeen the 10 versus 15hp. It is a chip and nozzle. Don’t let someone blow smoke up your wazoo about high thrust.... it is the gearing ratios combined with 4 bladed props pitched to get the right rpm. Some outboard companies claim high thrust but they don’t have the low end gear setup and put on a 4 bladed prop and call it high thrust.

I went with Suzuki because it is fuel injected and has pull start and electric. Yamaha and Suzuki high thrust are excellent engines. Yamaha is carburetor technology and no pull start if electric.

The twin 10’s or 20’s will handle 90 % of all situations. Or spend 2or 3x more and handle 95% of all situations and lose performance due to extra weight and weight of extra fuel for larger engines. Welcome to the dance.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard, size