Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2020, 08:03   #1

outhull helm position

Could someone please explain the benefits of duel helmstations being placed far out on the hulls on a cruising catamaran? Am I missing something?

I understand that when docking it would be a great advantage and maybe when racing. If the helm is aligned with the rudders it could mean a simpler linking mechanism. All good points.

However, it seems to me while underway the last place you want to be is on an unprotected seat facing the brunt of the elements. I know that the majority of the time while underway the autopilot is doing the steering but I have on several occasions been in conditions where the autopilot could not keep up. Under those conditions it would have been very very uncomfortable and quite dangerous to be out in the weather.

I have also spent long stretches on the wheel when the damn thing broke.

Yet given the above I find that a surprising number of boats, even some that could never be called racers have their helm stations sitting out in the breeze. I assume that the naval architects designing these things are smarter than I am so there must be some explanation. If someone could provide that explanation I would be greatful.
Seapig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 13:15   #2

Location: Brisbane after cruising (Atlantic -> Med -> Carib -> Pacific)
Boat: Vancouver 36, Hobie 33, Catana 48, now all with new owners
Re: outhull helm position

Depends on positioning, but at least in some like the Catana 48 we used to have, while the windward helm is out in the wind the leeward helm is in the shadow of the cabin and bimini so is in quite a protected spot.

I know comparisons to mono-hulls can lead to some challenges, but on our boat the windward helm position was roughly the equivalent of a typical mono-hull helm in terms of exposure while the leeward helm was far more protected.

Outboard helms are not for everyone, but a couple of other advantages are:
- they can leave the main cockpit free of helm(s) etc so the cockpit layout can be much less cluttered for at anchor or off-watch
- they give you choice (the windward and leeward are quite different) - on a nice day I would really enjoy sailing or watching from the windward one. On a crappy day if I was sailing rather than the autopilot, I could do it from the leeward (protected) one
- depending on layout, there is often an easy path from a good view on the port side to a good view on the starboard side which makes watching around jibs etc easy to do. So even when on autopilot, in busy situations it is easy to wander from side to side of the boat, and take control easily from either side as needed. Same with coming into anchorages or marinas.
- they give a great view up the mast so it is very easy to see what is happening when raising the main etc. Particularly as we had an electric main halyard winch with switches at the helms, if you had prepared everything before leaving anchor, one person could drive and raise the sails as you left.

Though not for everyone, I would definitely recommend exploring them as an option when looking at boats.
mark_morwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
helm, hull