Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2008, 08:40   #1

Wink Outremer 45 ????

Trying to find a reasoably priced Outremer 45 ! .
Also any views please on the Outremer 45 for a fast, comfortable cruiser, accomadation, ease of handling, and ability to take the beach, blue water cruising.
redbreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2008, 09:12   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Reasonable is an elusive quality. If six similar boats are priced at a half million and up, but number seven is asking one hundred twenty nine thousand dollars, then
A. Some charitable person has left their bird's nest laying on the ground.
B. The owner died and left it to a family in Utah that considers such wealth a sin.
C. The Broker assures you there are just a few extra details to iron out.
or D. It's overpriced, needing $371,000 worth of essentials to get off the mud its parked in, and every detail needs a special tool or a highly trained technician to fix.

Did you ever notice that everyone hears about dream deals second hand? If you actually meet someone who found one, ask them two or three years later how sweet it REALLY was.

I have champagne tastes on a beer budget. The reality of life is to go without beer for a while, or buy the champagne by the glass. The alternative was to work harder, do surprise night audits at certain financial institutions, or go to work for the Government. I swallowed my pride, and....
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2008, 09:33   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Red,
Have you had a look at the YachtWorld.com boat listings?

outreemer Boats For Sale

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2008, 10:15   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Its "outremer" as in ootra-mayer, Yachtworld made the correction in the search.

Redbreast: its clear from your posts that you are enthralled by speed (like me) but we both need a cold shower. And an Outremer or Catana can provide that in abundance, while under way. Get Chuck Kanter's latest book and carefully evaluate what he has to say about speed. Many posters here have been the Outremer route, and have come to their senses (but not me) about what it takes to enjoy long voyages under sail. Life is more than a race to the end.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2008, 15:59   #5

SANDY

Ive had many a cold shower and also many sea miles under the belt, speed is not the over riding passion , but slow, i do not do, now if we were talking light weight performance we might be closer to the truth is what im actually searching for and re sale.
My favorite boat so far is the Frydis and one of these fine days i might "sell my sole to the devil" and buy one (cant afford it) but then it depends on the deal.
How are tricks in the USA. Might have to pay a visit to have a look at a couple of boats soon.
redbreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2008, 03:48   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreast View Post
Ive had many a cold shower and also many sea miles under the belt, speed is not the over riding passion , but slow, i do not do, now if we were talking light weight performance we might be closer to the truth is what im actually searching for and re sale.
My favorite boat so far is the Frydis and one of these fine days i might "sell my sole to the devil" and buy one (cant afford it) but then it depends on the deal.
How are tricks in the USA. Might have to pay a visit to have a look at a couple of boats soon.
You must be short build person liking a very wet boat , have you sailed one ?
Greetings
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2008, 04:02   #7

Boat: FP Tobago 35
I have been on the 40 and the 42, as well as some Freydis (46 and 49),

I haven't been on the bigger Outremers though. I stopped looking back then as Gerard danson had died and nobody knew if the yard could/would continue.

I must say that the space in the Outremers was very cramped, for a well rounded guy like me.

Acess to maintain some stuff was not very good, e.g. the batteries.You would need to people to pull them out, if you don't want to do yourself or the boat some damage.

I was really hoping that the Outremer 42 would be "The Boat" for me after reading up on it, and looking at all the pictures and videos.

The Freydis are a bit similar but offer more space as they are bigger boats. As these boats are semi-custom it's difficult to compare them, but the 2 I've been on were well built and nice. I wasn't keen on the material glued on to the inside surfaces, as I know this will need replacing at some stage. Engine room acess was also a bit tight for my liking. Otherwise a bit rough and ready but definately a boat I woulf have confidence in taking anywhere in the world.

Windscreen mounting looked a bit dodgy on the 49...

For both companies,communications were a bit of a challenge if your French isn't up to scratch and you wanted to get a bit technical.

Let us know what you think when you have had a look at some.

Cheers

Alan
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 13:29   #8

Multi Sailing - Second hand multihulls

Atleast 2 Outremer for sale here, one 45 and one 40/43. With good pictures...
freetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2008, 13:25   #9

Boat: Outremer 45 catamaran
I part own an outremer 45. It is a fabulous boat. I agree that the accommodation could be better but she is very functional, well built and designed for ease of use and repair. She is very fast and we regularly have 10kt passages and windward performance, except in very light winds, is excellent. Don't try to find the perfect boat/woman - fine the onwe whose faults you can live with. I wouldn't swap the accommodation for the speed and seakeeping>
bairdag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outremer