Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2020, 01:19   #16
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran
Re: Outremer 50 light early 2000s

If it was my choice I would go with the O50L for the sailing and put up with less comfort. However you have 3 others to consider and they might not be bothered about the sailing but would enjoy the extra space and comfort. Also depends on what you want if for - day sailing or liveaboard?
Sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 01:33   #17

It would be liveaboard. From what I understand though, Privilege are above FP or lagoon as sailing abilities. Might be a good compromise. After all, it would never be a 100% decision, can't hsvevtge perfect boat.
alsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 12:36   #18

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsail View Post
4Hi. Anybody has an opinion oc Outremer 50 light, 2002, 2003? Bridgedeck clearance is surprisingly low...580 mm, according to multihull dynamics. My other option is Privilege 465. I know they are different boats and I like them both for different reasons. The decision comes down to bridgedeck clearance/slamming and seaworthyness. Any help much appreciated.
Thanks.

We have a 2003 55 Light, so very similar stats to the 50L (longer hulls the only difference). The lowest part of the bridgedeck has 690mm clearance in cruising trim for two adults and only 3.36m long - just the salon area. The remainder of the bridgedeck under the cockpit to the aft beam (2.3m) has 900mm clearance. These are exact tape measured measurements done while we’re on the hard.

Overall the bridgedeck is relatively short and not particularly prone to slamming.

But you are comparing two completely different boats. For live aboard the sleeping cabins on the Outremer are perfectly fine, though you won’t find walk around Queen sizes beds. The biggest difference would be the salon - the Privilege with galley down and longer/wider/higher salon means way more space for lounging around. The Outremer salon is small and relatively tight, with very little open floor area.

The Standard model is 800mm wider and the salon is longer (cockpit slightly shorter), which makes for a much larger (relatively speaking) salon. For a family that might be more suitable.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 12:51   #19

A family of four from Western Australia cruised aboard an Outremer 55S for several years. Their blog Tika Travels is worth reading both for the beautiful writing but also for the life on board.
Old 19-06-2020, 13:08   #20

Thank you.Not after queen size walk around beds really. The privilege I am looking at has galley up. I love the look of the O 50. Blythe found salon and sleek hulls are just perfect for my taste. Should be a very sea worthy boat . Interesting that 55 has exactly same salon as 50.
Are you sure 50 light bridgedeck clearance is exactly the same as 55 light?
Old 19-06-2020, 14:44   #21

Outremer 50 light early 2000s

Quote:
Thank you.Not after queen size walk around beds really. The privilege I am looking at has galley up. I love the look of the O 50. Blythe found salon and sleek hulls are just perfect for my taste. Should be a very sea worthy boat . Interesting that 55 has exactly same salon as 50.
Are you sure 50 light bridgedeck clearance is exactly the same as 55 light?

The beam is the same, hulls are the same shape though shorter so different at the ends and the displacement commensurately lower so I would expect similar clearances, but I don’t know for sure. The salon and cockpit are identical between the 50/55, other than the semi-customisations for the original owners.

There’s a little sister Outremer 45 (don’t know if they have standard and light versions) hauled out near us and her clearances are 556mm salon and 592mm cockpit. That’s on much shorter hulls of course.

As pointed out earlier, choose a 55 rather than 50 for better load carrying capability (especially the sterns - allows shaft drive engines and more expansive solar panels and/or dinghy) and slightly better sailing due to less relative rocker.
Old 19-06-2020, 16:20   #22

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I'm confused. Dsanduril says the O50L is an extended O45S. I thought the O55L and O55S were an extended 050. Are these just an extended 45? And did they make an O45 standard or light for that matter? Or just the one version of the O45?
Old 19-06-2020, 16:46   #23

Boat: Outremer 50S

The "light" boats were basically extensions of their 5' smaller brothers. The O50 was the initial design. After some experience they found that is was getting overloaded and squatting at the stern, so they added 5 feet to the back ends of the hulls (no additional length went into the living spaces) and called it a 55 Light. There were some other changes (the cabin bubble, the interior layout is a bit different, the beam changed a little) but the big difference was the tail. The 45 came along a bit later and had some of the features of both the O50 and the O55L (trying to learn from the past) and the extended stern version of the O50 was introduced. Now you have two 50 foot boats in the marque, both in production. So one is the "standard" and one is the "light". Since the lights had most of their extension in the tails the interior space of a light is pretty much the same as the interior space of their 5' shorter sibling.

The easiest way to tell the "standard" from the "light" is to look at the tails. If they are about 5' from the main beam to the transom it's standard, if they are closer to 9' and there's a pretty big flat deck area over the engine compartment they are light. Best I can describe it.

That's my understanding of the history, but it is at best imperfect, so take it with a strong grain of salt.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 16:56   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
The "light" boats were basically extensions of their 5' smaller brothers. The O50 was the initial design. After some experience they found that is was getting overloaded and squatting at the stern, so they added 5 feet to the back ends of the hulls (no additional length went into the living spaces) and called it a 55 Light. There were some other changes (the cabin bubble, the interior layout is a bit different, the beam changed a little) but the big difference was the tail. The 45 came along a bit later and had some of the features of both the O50 and the O55L (trying to learn from the past) and the extended stern version of the O50 was introduced. Now you have two 50 foot boats in the marque, both in production. So one is the "standard" and one is the "light". Since the lights had most of their extension in the tails the interior space of a light is pretty much the same as the interior space of their 5' shorter sibling.

The easiest way to tell the "standard" from the "light" is to look at the tails. If they are about 5' from the main beam to the transom it's standard, if they are closer to 9' and there's a pretty big flat deck area over the engine compartment they are light. Best I can describe it.

That's my understanding of the history, but it is at best imperfect, so take it with a strong grain of salt.
I saw a 2003 45 in NZ, it was too small inside. If you say 50 light would be exactly the same, then there is not worth it in my case, which is pretty sad...
Old 19-06-2020, 17:22   #25

Quote:
I saw a 2003 45 in NZ, it was too small inside. If you say 50 light would be exactly the same, then there is not worth it in my case, which is pretty sad...

No, the 45 is a different bridgedeck and cabin (and of course shorter hulls) from the 50.

The 50 and 55 have the same bridgedeck and cabin as each other, with dimensions dependent on Light vs Standard.
Old 19-06-2020, 17:27   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post

Not quite right regarding Light vs Standard. Both were available in 50 foot and 55 foot versions. The difference with the increased beam of the Standard is quite dramatic in the salon and the midship cabins are in the position of least movement. They also weigh (in the 55) a tonne more and have more sail area to compensate.
Old 19-06-2020, 20:54   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Wow, you got yo Alaska...they say cats can't sail high latitude...
THEY don't know sh111t
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 22:04   #28

Boat: Outremer 50S

FWIW here is how the Outremer website compared the different boats back in 2004. Still trying to see if I can find the plans/layouts.

40 Light
The 40' Light catamaran is a narrow version of the 40' one. It has the same hulls as its big brother, but the bridge deck is narrower and the coachroof is smaller. Since it is lighter, the rigging is less consequent. Nonetheless, the smallest of the range has great ambitions. A large number of them sail around our beautiful planet! If your ambitions are not so distant, you will experience a unique pleasure when cruising at large or on a day excursion. With its tillers and its light displacement, it is a favourite among purists who still wish to "navigate under sail" on a catamaran! Like its big brother, it has been improved with aft platforms which bring its length to 13.2 metres. That's a lot for a 38' catamaran, but when you like something you don't count the cost!

If the necessary carrying capacity is one of your requirements, or you wish to have larger volume of living space, the OUTREMER 45' is made for you. This new design (the first of which, "Bagnoles de l'Orne" now famous, was launched in 2000) should allow you to noticeably increase the interior volume and the carrying capacity, while keeping reduced length and great manoeuvrability with a reduced crew. Some 45' catamarans are destined for chartering or hire. 8 to 10 people may indeed spend several weeks on short cruises on this catamaran. 4 to 6 peoples live comfortably aboard for longer cruises.

Click image for larger version

Name:	45 layout.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	217742Click image for larger version

Name:	45 layout2.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	217743

50/55 Light
For the purists that don't want to compromise with sea faring qualities, or those who really appreciate comfort, the 50' catamaran has the same principles as that of the 40' Light: it can be produced in two beams (7.20 m, with the coachroof of the 45' catamaran, in which case it is the 50' Light, and 7.8 m with a much bigger coachroof, in which case it is the Standard model), and lengthened to 55' to improve its passage making and its average speed.
The OUTREMER 50' Light allows you to have a "big" boat (the living space volume corresponding to that of a 42'/44' of our competitors) for a limited budget, perfect for long cruises or sailing around the world with 4 to 6 people. Its huge cockpit is ideal for living in the tropics.
Nice award, it was voted "Boat of the Year 2000" in the USA.
Click image for larger version

Name:	50 Light layout.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	302.5 KB
ID:	217744

50/55 Standard
The OUTREMER 50/55' Standard has been chosen for its much more spacious saloon in which 10 to 12 people can be entertained with no worry, or for living in in colder climates. A slightly bigger budget is required, but it is fully equipped (desalinater, generator, tender, etc.). The 15.10 m length in the 50' version becomes 16.30 m with its aft platforms in the 55' version. Its passagemaking and even its higher speeds will impress you!
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 04:37   #29

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Thanks Dsanduril for clearing that up. I went to the O site and compared the 45, 50L and 55L and they were a all 7.2 meters beam. There was a 2003 O45 that says 7.01 beam but that must be a misprint, I can't find a reference to a 45L. And fwiw the 50 is about 49.5 feet long and the 55 is about 53.5 feet long.
Old 22-06-2020, 11:17   #30

Ok. Do the salon of 50 L is exactly the same for 45? How about accommodation in hulls?

Tags
outremer