Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2020, 11:49   #31

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: Outremer 50 light early 2000s

The saloon is the same shape, but the 45 (at least) had a few layout options. Some had a "U" seating around the table, others had an "L" that is more typical of the 50. I think the 50L has a seat at the nav. station that does double-duty as seating on that side of the table.

In the 45 there were also a couple of different layout options. I think for the most part the aft bunks in the 45 were lower than the bridgedeck, run fore-aft, and have more headroom. In the 50L I think (again, typical), the aft bunk is larger, on the bridgedeck, runs athwartship, and has more space but less headroom (this is what we have).
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 12:11   #32

From pictures the salon of 50 light looks a bit deeper. How about the cockpit, it looks like on 50 light is a u shaped seating aft, while the 45 I saw was straight. Could it be bigger on 50??
Again, I have seen the 45 which is slightly small for our family, trying to get an idea of 50 light from pictures and from you guys. Thank you for your help.
alsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 13:01   #33

We have been cruising on a 50S for 3 years with two little kids.
Initially we planned to buy a 45 but there were no good offers on the market. So we considered another model. We decided to look at the 50S and entering the saloon we understood, this is another story: A lot more space! We bought it.
Now, looking back we think it has been nice to have all this space but it was not really necessary. A 45 or 50/55light (I think their saloon size is the same) would have worked as well. However when you move in from a house you may have the feeling(!) you need the additional space. (imagine how many families cruise on a 45-50ft monohull)
What we learned as well is that the difference between the 55 and 50 is just that the 55 is faster due to the extended sterns. There are practically no disadvantages (except some fees ) - so I would probably go for a 55 next time.
Regarding the year of construction we learned that in 2003 oor 2004 Outremer changed the way how they applied the resin. So the newer models are more resistant against osmosis. An older model I would not purchase without in-depth osmosis checks.
myocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 15:14   #34

Thank you. So now U know 45 and 50 light have the same salon. How about the hulls are they the same width? Is the accinidation better in 50 light compared to 45? And the cockpit...is it the same? Seems logical to be a bit longer for 50 light.
Old 23-06-2020, 01:20   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsail View Post
How about the hulls are they the same width?
I think so. The hulls var only in length. We have been very happy with the width of the hulls. They are narrow but in daily life this is completely ok.
Actually, I just remember there are I think differences in the positioning of the dagger boards. I think some boats have them at the very side of the hull while in our boat the dagger board shaft has been the separation between the corridor and the midshisps berth. (thiis is the case for most of the boats)
About cockpit size of 45 and 50l I don't know.
myocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2020, 02:33   #36

Boat: Outremer 55L

I took a close look and a tape measure to the 2003 O45 that is on the hard opposite to us (and for sale - it is Mambala). She looks quite good.

The distance between the hulls is 5cm less than our 55L. The bridgedeck is 20cm shorter than our 55L. The deepest part of the hull is 10cm less than our 55L. The hulls look narrower, but I didn’t climb on board to measure on the deck. According to specifications on the for sale page the overall beam is 25cm less than our 55L, so confirming that the hulls are narrower.

So for all practical purposes the salons are likely very similar and the cockpit slightly smaller.

Since the hulls are shorter and narrower the sleeping cabins and heads will be smaller, and there will be fewer compartments. The 55L has a host of compartments that can be used for tool rooms, washing machines, surfboard storage, sail locker, etc.

If you want the performance but prefer a bit more space then I suggest looking for a Standard model. The salon is considerably larger and the midship berths are great. Though I have to admit that I prefer our longitudinal berths with more headroom than the athwartship berths that you have to climb up to and have less headroom.

And as others have said the 55s are preferable to the 50s, except of course the cost and berthing. Load carrying and sailing ability are enhanced, with little extra sail area needed.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2020, 11:34   #37

Thank you for that, I looked at Mambala and will come too see her again tomorrow morning. I would go for a 50 light that is for sale atm, if the cockpit was a bit bigger, considering there is more space in the hulls as well. Those 20 cm difference in the saloon might make a bit of difference too. How much difference in berthing 55 vs 50 , if you know it? If you are in the same yard, any chance I can come and look at your boat please?
Old 23-06-2020, 11:50   #38

We are opposite Mambala so come over for a look. There’s another 55L in the town basin and I can introduce you.
Old 23-06-2020, 12:02   #39

That is awesome, thank you very much. Tomorrow around 10 I ll be around
Old 20-03-2021, 06:40   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
I took a close look and a tape measure to the 2003 O45 that is on the hard opposite to us (and for sale - it is Mambala). She looks quite good.

The distance between the hulls is 5cm less than our 55L. The bridgedeck is 20cm shorter than our 55L. The deepest part of the hull is 10cm less than our 55L. The hulls look narrower, but I didn’t climb on board to measure on the deck. According to specifications on the for sale page the overall beam is 25cm less than our 55L, so confirming that the hulls are narrower.

So for all practical purposes the salons are likely very similar and the cockpit slightly smaller.

Since the hulls are shorter and narrower the sleeping cabins and heads will be smaller, and there will be fewer compartments. The 55L has a host of compartments that can be used for tool rooms, washing machines, surfboard storage, sail locker, etc.

If you want the performance but prefer a bit more space then I suggest looking for a Standard model. The salon is considerably larger and the midship berths are great. Though I have to admit that I prefer our longitudinal berths with more headroom than the athwartship berths that you have to climb up to and have less headroom.

And as others have said the 55s are preferable to the 50s, except of course the cost and berthing. Load carrying and sailing ability are enhanced, with little extra sail area needed.

Interesting informations. I am just now new here in the forum. Looking for somebody who can help me regarding the topic of the available headspace in this outremers. 195cm are needed.

Thanks for any answers.
jz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 10:44   #41

Outremer 50 light early 2000s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz2000 View Post
Interesting informations. I am just now new here in the forum. Looking for somebody who can help me regarding the topic of the available headspace in this outremers. 195cm are needed.

Thanks for any answers.

Plenty of headroom except for three areas. We had a crew who was 193cm and he could mostly stand tall. I’m 180.
  • [#] Entry into salon is a step down from the cockpit and anyone over 175 needs to duck
    [#] Forward seats in the salon (those facing aft) have sufficient headroom for <180 when you lean back, as the salon roof curves down, but taller will have to lean forward
    [#] Steps down into each hull require a duck of the head for 180+

Berths are just under 200cm so should be fine albeit tight.
Old 23-03-2021, 02:18   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Plenty of headroom except for three areas. We had a crew who was 193cm and he could mostly stand tall. I’m 180.
  • [#] Entry into salon is a step down from the cockpit and anyone over 175 needs to duck
    [#] Forward seats in the salon (those facing aft) have sufficient headroom for <180 when you lean back, as the salon roof curves down, but taller will have to lean forward
    [#] Steps down into each hull require a duck of the head for 180+

Berths are just under 200cm so should be fine albeit tight.
Thanks, sounds positive. Ok will go on finding a 55 wich is for sale.
jz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outremer