Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2022, 12:17   #1

Boat: Privilege 435, Catamaran
Passage to Cape Verdes

Hi All,
As typical boaters luck would have it, I will not be able to make the annual fall rally to the Caribbean from Europe,(currently stuck in Rome). Has anyone done the Portugal to Cape Verde's run in January-February. I know the ARC has a rally leaving end of January and am trying to catch it. Or looking for anyone who is doing the crossing around then. I'm sure most will already be there before Xmas. Any "SAGE" advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Bennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2022, 14:10   #2

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage
Re: Passage to Cape Verdes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennan View Post
Hi All,
As typical boaters luck would have it, I will not be able to make the annual fall rally to the Caribbean from Europe,(currently stuck in Rome). Has anyone done the Portugal to Cape Verde's run in January-February. I know the ARC has a rally leaving end of January and am trying to catch it. Or looking for anyone who is doing the crossing around then. I'm sure most will already be there before Xmas. Any "SAGE" advice would be appreciated. Thanks

The weather for an Atlantic crossing from Canaries or Cape Verde to the Caribbean is usually more stable by January / February. Leaving to arrive before Xmas nearly always results in getting a thrashing at some point. With more consistent winds it is possible to make landfall further north in the Caribbean. Having said that the "Azores" high spent all summer over the UK this year.
Tupaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2022, 11:02   #3

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Re: Passage to Cape Verdes

As Tupaia says... the weather should be better for a crossing January/February as the trades are more established by then. ARC leaves in November to get the slow boats to the Caribbean by Xmas, not because it is the best time.

When are you leaving Croatia? I'm in Spain now and will be again in January. If you are planning to pass between mainland Spain and Ibiza then call in to one of the coast ports and I'll buy you a beer and we can talk about P435.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Cape Verde, passage