Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2021, 04:40   #31

Re: Performance catamarans 40-48 foot range

Someone should have told the Polynesians that they couldn’t colonize the Pacific in their multihulls…
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2021, 08:07   #32

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Actually cats are easier to sail. No heel, no roll, wide decks, twin engines, etc.
Just because they sail easily doesn't mean they are sailed well.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2021, 10:46   #33

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Actually cats are easier to sail. No heel, no roll, wide decks, twin engines, etc.
Not really, they are not that forgiving then mono and are actuality harder to sail as they don't give you that much feedback like mono.
If we talk about totally undercanvassed Condos like Laggon, well they don't sail and you cannot really **** it up seriously....
CaptainRivet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2021, 10:47   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Just because they sail easily doesn't mean they are sailed well.
Well a Lagoon never but eg older FP sail very well and are the low budget performance cats... And if we go to a Catana, HH or outremer oh hell yes they sail like you would never experience on a mono
Old 21-11-2021, 10:51   #35

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

This is not a cat vs mono thread, but the advantage of a cat comes when you anchor it.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2021, 10:56   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamicatana View Post
Someone should have told the Polynesians that they couldn’t colonize the Pacific in their multihulls…
Bulls eye
Good they didn't know.....
Old 21-11-2021, 11:11   #37

Boat: 46' to 48' cat

If someone gave you a 2mm budget to order a performance cat today, and as part of the deal- you could keep in cash 25 percent of what you didn’t spend. What would you buy.

Forget production delays, all boats available in a month. Hh, balance, Outre etc. etc.

What and why.

Maybe it’s own thread …
slowNlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2021, 11:35   #38

Boat: St Francis 50
Send a message via Skype™ to rescher

Quote:
Originally Posted by poseidon2027 View Post
Yes I know its very hard to judge in 7-10 years, like I said, the cat I end up buying might be a brand new model that doesnt even exist yet.

My question is: right now, what are some performance cats in the 40-48 foot range around 2 years old (maybe 2-5 years is better) so that I can research and charter etc. Start building my list to research. I already know the Lagoons, FP, etc. I want to know the performance ones, not "condomarans".
Any cat can be considered a condomaran if you add enough weight. Keep them light and they all fly. Check out the St Francis 50.

My wife and I and our four kids have been living on Aphrodite (see www.aphrodite.cat) a SF50 for six years.

We're not as light as we could be, but we're not that heavy at 26,000 lbs either.

We just sailed non-stop Grenada to Miami. Our average was about 200 nm per day. The fastest speed was saw was 13 knots even with one reef in the main and one reef in the genoa.
rescher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2021, 12:04   #39

Are you sure you want a performance cat? Are you crossing oceans where doing more than 200NM a day is important?

The better "condocats" have much better performance than they used to have. With folding props, better than stock sails, and not overloaded a skipper who knows how to trim sails can easily exceed 10kt. They are considerably faster than a monohull. Is that good enough for you?

I just moved from a 55' cruising mono to a Leopard 50. The new boat is quite a bit faster than the mono. With apparent wind over 12kts it does 8kt+. When apparent wind is less than 12kt, I run one engine and motor sail at 8kts (the 50ft waterline really helps).

Frankly, I don't want any more "performance" than that. I've sailed quite a bit on performance cats and didn't enjoy the noise and vibration of a cat doing over 10kt. And that light construction plus carbon fiber can make them noisy even at anchor. Sleeping in an oil drum.

The fully foam-cored Leopard is quiet and peaceful compared to a performance cat. It can also carry a lot of cruising gear without hurting performance much.

For your needs, I'd especially look at the new Leopard 42. I bet it has all the performance you need and you'll save $1M+ over a performance cat.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2021, 12:20   #40

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowNlow View Post
If someone gave you a 2mm budget to order a performance cat today, and as part of the deal- you could keep in cash 25 percent of what you didn’t spend. What would you buy.

Forget production delays, all boats available in a month. Hh, balance, Outre etc. etc.

What and why.

Maybe it’s own thread …

I'd build another custom cat but if it was series cat then Dazcat
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2021, 12:29   #41

Given $2M...

I'd buy a privilege 510. That's enough performance for me!
MyCatLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2021, 13:30   #42

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Are you sure you want a performance cat? Are you crossing oceans where doing more than 200NM a day is important?

The better "condocats" have much better performance than they used to have. With folding props, better than stock sails, and not overloaded a skipper who knows how to trim sails can easily exceed 10kt. They are considerably faster than a monohull. Is that good enough for you?

I just moved from a 55' cruising mono to a Leopard 50. The new boat is quite a bit faster than the mono. With apparent wind over 12kts it does 8kt+. When apparent wind is less than 12kt, I run one engine and motor sail at 8kts (the 50ft waterline really helps).
The "performance" I would be looking for is a) good enough speed in light winds and b) decent tacking/upwind performance. Sustained double-digit top speeds, not the most interesting part (this may change, of course ).

Also, why wouldn't 200 nm/day be useful for shorter trips? Visby/Gotland is about 200 nm from where we live and I'd love to be there in 24 hours instead of 48
Old 21-11-2021, 13:46   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowNlow View Post

What and why.

Maybe it’s own thread …
for 1 Mio. the Catana 47
for 2 Mio. HH 44, with hybrid drive and 3,7kw solar...I don't need more space.
just everything is right, much better quality then outremer, balanace...
performance with a very good livabality and all you need without too extreme compromise for performance.
Old 21-11-2021, 14:16   #44

Boat: 46' to 48' cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
for 1 Mio. the Catana 47
for 2 Mio. HH 44, with hybrid drive and 3,7kw solar...I don't need more space.
just everything is right, much better quality then outremer, balanace...
performance with a very good livabality and all you need without too extreme compromise for performance.
That OC 50 is wicked sexy! Is catana still making the 47? Have several friends with older models and they all love them.

Curious about your comment re balance quality. From what I’ve seen everything is pretty top shelf. At least with the production models. Can’t comment on the bigger customs.
slowNlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2021, 14:39   #45

MOJO, Schionning Gforce 1500
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran