Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2024, 01:38   #241

Boat: Foutaine Pajot Venezia 42 1994
Re: Performance of charter cats?

For reasons not concerning the cat / sailing perfomance or problem in itself.
Only economic reasons.

In any case I love the design of the V42, and the way in which it has been maiden (quality of construction and tools) more than L41.

But amenities (no steps between dinette and outside, and others many things), comfort in moving around, speed by motoring (8.1 vs 7,6) and easy sailing (everything is coming back to the pilot seat) is better in L41.
Upwind sailing also is much better with V42, in fact it has the keels area doubled than the L41 (about 2x2.85sqm) and that makes a truly big difference!
Mpetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 01:43   #242

Look at the difference of front of the 2 cats for example...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Confronto V42 - L41.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	290580  
Old 05-06-2024, 03:44   #243

Boat: LAGOON 400

it was funny looking at performance cat when we sailed upwind from Lizard Island south in nasty chop and current and Outremer 55 was motoring same path. Performance cat, haha, it is wife that decides everything. If you do not sail nice, and efficient, forget it. You will be selling bot in no time.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 05:22   #244

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpetri View Post
The reason i got the Lavezzi and not Lipari in one picture. Clear which sails much better. The 42 has no double diamond spreaders rigg...thought it did.
The old FP are really the poor mans performance oriented cat.
Well and getting everything back to the helm or on BB side into cockpit is not hard to realize...

How did you like the catana 431?
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 06:59   #245

Boat: 2017 Bali 4.0

[QUOTE=donradcliffe;3878072]Its too bad we haven't heard back from HuffinPuff about the awesome sailing performance of this Bali. Probably sold the boat by now.[/QUOTE

lol... If I wanted to sail at 12 kts, i would have bought a different boat. I purchased my Bali because it's a great livable boat and sails as well as the other condo cats.

I would like a bigger boat if I plan on living on my boat for another 5 years. I am thinking about the Bali 4.8. She seems very comfortable. Just not sure I want to invest that much into a boat at this time and point.
HUFFnPUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 07:55   #246

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
For offshore, I'd take the one on the right. Thinner hulls, no vertical windows.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 09:19   #247

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Make up your own minds. Windage vs bridge deck clearance.

Name:	IMG_20240502_082413_693.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	433.7 KB
ID:	290583
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 09:34   #248

Some hours of sailing on the Catana 431 is not enough for me to understand really if it performs well or not.
Roughly speaking I expect it should be good, but in one afternoon i don't see numbers that excites me, wind was light under 10 knots and teh performance absolutely similar to the one I have form L41, upwind sailing apart - there are daggerboard!

The same when I try to sail with an Excess 14 performance last year.
2 hours are absolutely insufficient for understanding the real potential of that big cat.
I like that cat so much and also my wife was happy to sail on it, with only a doubt: it is so big, that probably is out of my capability to sail it alone for long period... almost now, I am 56 years old, no more a young boy!
Old 05-06-2024, 10:08   #249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Make up your own minds. Windage vs bridge deck clearance.

Attachment 290583
Great pic.
I take the left one for sure
Old 05-06-2024, 10:14   #250

Quote:
Some hours of sailing on the Catana 431 is not enough for me to understand really if it performs well or not.
Roughly speaking I expect it should be good, but in one afternoon i don't see numbers that excites me, wind was light under 10 knots and teh performance absolutely similar to the one I have form L41, upwind sailing apart - there are daggerboard!

The same when I try to sail with an Excess 14 performance last year.
2 hours are absolutely insufficient for understanding the real potential of that big cat. If sailed with bombarda Excess 11 which won the ARC, the helm stations is a big Nogo for me.

I like that cat so much and also my wife was happy to sail on it, with only a doubt: it is so big, that probably is out of my capability to sail it alone for long period... almost now, I am 56 years old, no more a young boy!
Liked the Excess 14 or the catana 431?
Excess is kinda performance oriented but build quality naahhh, interior ikea like.
I actually sailed on Excess 11 Bombarda when they where in Lanzarote, fully agree the helmstations are big nono. Performance wise on the same level then my Lavezzi.

Catana is one of the rare ones in the 42 till 44 ft class that has daggerboards, premium build quality and good one come on the market in the 350k range. Have now a lavezzi but wanna upgrade in around 3 years...top 3 are Asia cat Stealth 13, dolphin 460 or catana 431.
I am 53 now and well i condider myself old when passing the 70 mark...maybe. i always just rely on myself so i need to be able to sail singlehanded and these 3 feel the max i can handle alone, dolphin definitely on the border but the amount of cat and daggerboards for the 400k budget you get, you get nowhere else...or i didn't find so far. The stealth is the rocketship and the 2 others the more comfort oriented fast cruising cat.
Old 05-06-2024, 10:21   #251

This is the one I'd take offshore...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	phoenix.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	412.1 KB
ID:	290586  
Kinkircating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 10:42   #252

I liked the Excess 14
It sails well in my opinion (not far form my cat in any case)

Of course I agree with you about the Catana 431 very very good for the price (in 2019 I was at only one step to buy one 431 at 250k€ - yes at that price!!!
but I don't have the opportunity to sell fast my old monohull so I lost the deal and some franch people bought it in my place!
Old 05-06-2024, 12:45   #253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinkircating View Post
This is the one I'd take offshore...
Well out of range for me unfortunately...
Happy for you if you can though.
Have the best i could afford 3 years ago but could go then instead 10 years later...
Old 05-06-2024, 13:02   #254

Boat: 2017 Bali 4.0

Funny you mention bridge deck clearance versus windage. I have many friends that don't like to sail their low profile cats in seas greater than 4ft because of the slap and spray that comes with the low bridge clearance. I also know folks that have high performing cats and sail it slow because the spouse doesn't like going that fast. So, before you buy a cat, make sure it's spouse approved. If not, you may never see its full potential.
HUFFnPUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 14:05   #255

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUFFnPUFF View Post
Funny you mention bridge deck clearance versus windage. I have many friends that don't like to sail their low profile cats in seas greater than 4ft because of the slap and spray that comes with the low bridge clearance. I also know folks that have high performing cats and sail it slow because the spouse doesn't like going that fast. So, before you buy a cat, make sure it's spouse approved. If not, you may never see its full potential.
Or just do it like my buddy on long passages, admiral gets first class plane ticket, flies home or to friends and we with 2 or 3 go and let the 44 dufour performance rigg fly with 30 degree heel (ex regatta boat) as admiral is uncomfortable with >10 degree heel...

Tags
charter