Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2007, 04:34   #1

Perry 43

G'day all
This is my first post. I've been a member for a few months and before that I've read various contributions for a couple of years now. Firstly I'd like to say how much I appreciate all the excellent advice that is generously provided. Although "reading" will never be as good as "doing", I've learnt an awful lot from this site.

Now my query; I've chartered mono's a couple of times and I'm gradually building-up experience, but the dream is to sell the house and cruise full-time in about 3-5 years from now - on board a cat. Like dirkdig in his recent posts, I have a couple of contenders. Top of the list is the Priveledge 435. However, as I currently live in Australia I know that the Perry 43 is pretty common in the Whitsunday charter fleets. Having done searches I've not been able to find out anything at all about people's views on the Perry (pro's and con's) as a potenial liveaboard for a circumnavigation. I'm probably going to charter one next year to see how it handles and whether it would suit, but I wondered if there were any strong opinions in the meantime? Is it as robust as the Privelege (i.e. suitable for ocean passages)? Is it a good choice for short-handed extended sailing? Any other thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks - Paul.
Onedaysoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2007, 06:04   #2

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
go over to cruisers anarchy and ask bob, he seems pretty straight up sort of guy.
Sailing Anarchy Forums -> Cruising Anarchy

Mike
Whimsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 04:03   #3

Boat: Lightwave 45, sold nov 2020.Previous self built Roberts 36
Hi, seems we are in asimilar position, in that i am planning leave July 2010. Being ex momo cruisers, we crecently chartered a Perry 43 in the Whitsundays to see how we liked amulti. Well the boat worked really well. We only had two reasonable days to sail, with about 15 kts, but the boat was goo, no rock and roll dead down wind. Unfortunately, the charter boats are under canvassed, so with winds mots in the 10 kt rang, it was not easy to gauge performance. Howver, with 4 adults and two boys, the boat worked really well, and from my cruising experience I could see it could work well. There were afew 'niggles' but nothing too serious.
As for us, my dear wife has fallen for the Lightwave 45. I have viewed both the Perry and the Lightwave at the sanctary Cove boat show, and I must admit, the LW 45 is my preference for a number of reasons. Have you checked this boat out as well?

ps I have been on the first Perry 57 out of the mould, now there is a magnificent craft...
Glenn C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 05:39   #4

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"
My wife and I wanted a Perry for years, but they are hard to come by on the used market in the USA. Our first cat was a PDQ original 34. We wanted a bigger cat and would up with the Voyage 470 we have now. We really liked the Perry, the only thing I was uneasy about was looking through the two windows to drive or having to stand to look over the coach roof with no obstructions to seeing forward.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:48   #5

Thanks for the replies to date. Glenn, I agree about the Perry 57. I saw one when we tied-up at the Gateway marina on the Brisbane river a couple of months ago. A lovely looking boat, although I only admired her from outside. I saw the Lightwave has received good reviews in the Aussie sailing press. I too was at Sanctuary Cove earlier this year, but I must admit that I walked away being more impressed by the Perry 43 they had on show there. However, - I'm not yet that experienced and I hope that by the time I come to purchase a boat in a couple of years I'll have had the chance to try out several cats for myself (and be able to more critically assess them). Seaking and Mike, thanks for your comments too.
Onedaysoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 15:18   #6

Boat: Perry 43 "Portfolio"
We are Brisbane based Perry 43 owners. 'Portfolio' was launched in March and we couldn't be more impressed with her. It is the 53rd boat to come out of the moulds and Bryan Perry has been making improvements with each boat. She is the first hull to be fully infused. As you know the window in front of the helmsman is removable. With it out we can access the C120 plotter, radios and switchboard. When the weather is bad and the overhead hatch is closed, the view from the helm through the saloon is fine.
Portfolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:01   #7

Boat: Egan 12.40, Carter 33, Seawind 24
Portfolio, nice to read your happy with the Perry, I looked at the 43 & 57 & an Fontaine 6? at the Sydney Boat show & would've(IF I had the budget for either) choosen the Perry over the FP for sure. Also they're terrific people, unrelated to the boats 4-5 years ago during a very busy show they helped a dad(me) with sons in tow one of which had a naasty wharf splinter in the foot with first aid & lollies until tears turned to smiles. All the best from Jeff.
waikikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 02:56   #8

Re: Perry 43

Hi,

Seems a few years have passed on this thread :-)
How did you go with the dream of purchasing the Perry 43?

I am looking into the possibility in the next 6 months to enter the sailing catamaran world, every thing i see about the Perry43 seems positive.

Any tips i need to look for and look out for purchasing a Perry43 now entering the 10 - 16 years of age bracket?

I see many are fitted with Yanmar 47HP and some with Volvo 50 hp.
Still holding an asking price above $400 k for most of them.
Any yips or suggestion would be appreiated. :-)

Shane
Love2fishalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:45   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Welcome to CF Shane !

While it's usually best to start a new thread I see the merit of reviving this one... I have ZERO knowledge about the Perry 43, but there's a ton of guys with a passion for the outlier multi's ... They should pick up on this shortly...

I'll keep my eyes on this and possibly even learn something...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:49   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Shane.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 04:19   #11

Thanks for the greetings.
I found the post via a google search on Perry 43 reviews.

Seems there are not many reviews on Perry that i can find myself,
i guess that may be a good thing, usually negative or problematic things get
people venting and if things just run smooth there is less of a chance to post it.

I also guess if the Hull and Deck is a great design and well built then its only the bells and whistles that are installed such as engines or refrigeration etc that will be targeted in the venting.

Last week i hopped aboard a Simpson inspiration 34.5', it was a really nicely finished off Cat but i had to limbo down the stairs into each hull or reverse down as i am 6 foot tall and have a few neck problems, i am yet to see a Perry 43 in person but by all the pics, it does look like i could freely walk down into hulls without limbo manoeuvre.
Love2fishalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 04:56   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2fishalot View Post
Thanks for the greetings.
I found the post via a google search on Perry 43 reviews.

Seems there are not many reviews on Perry that i can find myself,
i guess that may be a good thing, usually negative or problematic things get
people venting and if things just run smooth there is less of a chance to post it.

I also guess if the Hull and Deck is a great design and well built then its only the bells and whistles that are installed such as engines or refrigeration etc that will be targeted in the venting.

Last week i hopped aboard a Simpson inspiration 34.5', it was a really nicely finished off Cat but i had to limbo down the stairs into each hull or reverse down as i am 6 foot tall and have a few neck problems, i am yet to see a Perry 43 in person but by all the pics, it does look like i could freely walk down into hulls without limbo manoeuvre.
Well... If it's the bells and whistles fitting that causes people to gripe, then you are probably good to go! Rare is the older boat that doesn't have these issues simply from age and use...

Know nothing of the room inside, but agree some cats can require a contortionist... I poked around a bit and on first glance, they appear 1st class...

Like I said... There's a couple of brilliant guys here that know just about everything there is about off brand cats... I'll lead one here, and maybe others will follow!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote