Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2017, 03:23   #16

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: pot & pan retainers for cat stove

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARGESOL View Post
Gimballed stove is not nesessary on a cat...there is now heeling (almost). But, when it's rough-when your cat jumps over the short period swell - it's better to have retainers on the stove and,on cabinets.
I already lost a french press,a glass tea pot...The cook has to watch the pots,pans so,they don't slide away
It is rare to see a gimballed stove on a cat, but I have seen them in galley down cats...which get more motion in the galley.

But in most cases, especially galley up, agree a gimballed stove is pretty useless...too many different directions of motion on a cat.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 05:07   #17
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

I installed a single, bottom mount, swinging potholder salvaged from an old kerosene stove. IMO you don't need more than one as when conditions are rough enough to require their use, you will likely only be making a one pot meal.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 12:42   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
It is rare to see a gimballed stove on a cat, but I have seen them in galley down cats...which get more motion in the galley.
Galley up cat's have more motion in the galley. There is more motion further away from the water. Watch your masthead when at sea one day.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 13:12   #19

"There is more motion further away from the water."

There is less motion closer to the center line of the vessel.

Swings and roundabouts.

If it is rough enough to require a pot on the stove to be secured for safety. I just make do with boiling water in the electric kettle, heating food in the microwave or toasting in an electric toaster all running of the inverter.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 13:35   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinOz View Post
There is less motion closer to the center line of the vessel.
Less vertical movement, but no less rolling and pitching, and more lateral movement, which is what matters in keeping a pot on the stove.

John McEnroe
Old 02-02-2017, 16:18   #21

The amount of acceleration imparted by the 3 Linear motions of a boat, Heave, Sway and Surge act the same on all sections of the vessel.

The amount of acceleration imparted by the 3 rotational movements of a boat Pitch, Roll and Yaw are directly proportional to the distance from the centre of rotation.

Your argument about the amount of movement of the mast head proves that point. Quote "There is more motion further away from the water. Watch your masthead when at sea one day."

Imagine if you will instead of watching your vertical mast you lay it horizontal to the water, now which part is moving further and faster in Pitch Roll and Yaw. The part further away from the base of the mast.

Now mark the point on your horizontal mast 3.5 meters from its base (A: call that Galley Down stove top ). Then stick 1.5 meter post vertical to the mast 3 meters from the base (B: call the top of post Galley up stove top) which point moves further as the mast moves A or B?

So the further you place you galley away from this centre of rotational motion the more acceleration your stove top will see.

The only time that being in the hull at the outside of the vessel would be better than closer to centre line is if the centre of Roll was in that hull which would be excellent until you needed to gibe or tack then it would be a bitch.

Yaw and pitch would depend on the fore / aft installation point not up or down.

I my well be wrong but it's interesting to think about the physics involved.

Old 02-02-2017, 19:35   #22

The "worst" movement as far as keeping pots on stoves, is roll. Simply because our boats are longer than they are wide. If the roll axis were right down the middle of the bridegdeck floor, you'd be right. But it's not, The roll axis of a cat isn't at any fixed point, sometimes rolling about one hull, sometimes the other, but hardly ever is the roll axis going to be ~ 1 metre above the water right in the centre of the boat.

The only time we'd ever even feel a slight need pot holders is in biggish beam seas, when the galley is in the lee hull.

John McEnroe
Old 02-02-2017, 20:52   #23

Quote "but hardly ever is the roll axis going to be ~ 1 metre above the water right in the centre of the boat."

Totally agree with this statement.

Place the centre of rotation at the water line any place you like between the center of vessel and the opposite hull to the galley.

I worked on Galley down stove top being 1 meter above water line, Galley up being 2 meters above water line and 0.5 meter closer inboard of galley down position. When drawn to scale the distance from the center of rotation to similar points on each stove top is practically the same.

Move the stove in another half meter in the galley up its getting better. Move it up so its 3 meters above the galley down (even my Lagoon is not that big unless I start BBQ on the fly bridge) its slightly worse.

Stating that "Galley up cat's have more motion in the galley." as fact I believe is in-correct and not born out by the geometry or physics.

I suspect Galley up / Galley Down on Catamarans has more to do with available space within the Bridge deck area, or not wanting the Kitchen staff in the Owners entertainment area in the case of something 60 or 70 feet long. Than it has to do with cooking on the stove safely.

Personnel preference for Galley up / Galley down is just that and I nor any one else can say what is right or wrong for an individual preference.