Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2012, 02:13   #1

Pre-survey pro forma

Hi all

Has anyone formulated or know of a standard pro forma that could be sent to private sellers/brokers to elicit addition information (over and above the usual inventory) to help decide which boats warrant a physical visit and, possibly, survey?

I'm thinking of a list of items such recent maintenance, engine hours, equipment age, hauling dates, anything that might help sort the wheat from the chaff.

Cheers

Dom
dominiccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 03:05   #2

Boat: 73 pearson 35
Re: Pre-survey pro forma

Ok,
i will bite on this.having spent close to 10,000 in the last year shopping boats that had "OLD" pics and failed to mention the going aground in the coral thing....ect.
If your shopping for a boat you will be amazed at the age that the old folks "I didnt remember that" begins......
MY EXPERENCE
Mark
travler37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 03:37   #3
Armchair Bucketeer

I used this when buying my boat:-

https://sites.google.com/a/jaytac.co...-questionnaire

Specific to Seadogs, but could be tweaked / form the basis for anything else. Was created using Excel so should cut & paste accross.

Overall it worked well (even if made a few owner's groan! - I was dealing direct, no Brokers - the priceof that was initial details mostly amounted to little more than "my boat is for sale" )....not to say that I didn't get to see a few frogs, but certainly helped me rule a few boats out (boats all on the UK Mainland, so me a buying trip was not simple or cheap).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 04:45   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Just what I was after - many thanks!
Old 25-04-2012, 05:18   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck

Here's where a buyers broker comes in handy. Let the broker do the legwork and sort things out for you. A buyers broker can usually get more inside info then you can yourself. We can also order recent photos or even results of previous surveys. A buyers broker is there to protect your interests in the deal. Remember it costs you nothing to have one on your side. In full disclosure I am a buyers broker. Hope this helps. PM if you need more info...Sid
Sid at SailAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 05:28   #6

Thanks Sid - I'll bare that in mind.

Regards.
Old 26-04-2012, 02:18   #7
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominiccc View Post
Just what I was after - many thanks!
Just to say that the list was finessed using both knowledge gleaned from the Owners Group (especially the Secretary - who had rebuilt one, that had sunk!, pretty much from the ground up!....so knew what the common faults on Seadogs are, all boats have 'em)........and also from the details provided by the Owners (plus a few Broker's listings), particularly the common things that had been replaced / enhanced (The Seadogs date from early 60's to early 70's - and only around 140 built, most still afloat ).

Also just to say that for each boat their were unknowns, in itself informative (on both boat and owner!) - and either conclusions drawn or simply worked around, at least until getting hands on.

The reason the list contained so much equipment was not that I was seeking a boat fully loaded, just that the boats varied on what was onboard - none had everything listed (some next to SFA, other lots of nice stuff, even if a hull full of Osmosis )....simply an attempt to compare different equipment levels (is a radar and new autopilot worth more (to me) than new Fuel Tanks and the original Autopilot? etc etc).

Not sure what "inside info" actually means - I find if you ask for info people either tell you, or they don't. Both useful to decide whether (or not) to part with own cash. Of course if one doesn't know what to ask, then having someone do that for you is a help (albeit of course you don't know whether they have asked the right questions!).

The approach I like to take is that since once I buy I will (sooner or later) find out everything I need to know about a boat, then it makes sense to find out everything (or as much as humanly possible) before writing the cheque - rather than keeping fingers crossed that no surprises ($$$ ) will be coming down the pipe because I couldn't be bothered pre-purchase or simply took people on Trust (or was shy about causing offence ).
Old 26-04-2012, 10:08   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
I used this when buying my boat:-

Specific to Seadogs, but could be tweaked / form the basis for anything else. Was created using Excel so should cut & paste accross.

Overall it worked well (even if made a few owner's groan! - I was dealing direct, no Brokers - the priceof that was initial details mostly amounted to little more than "my boat is for sale" )....not to say that I didn't get to see a few frogs, but certainly helped me rule a few boats out (boats all on the UK Mainland, so me a buying trip was not simple or cheap).

Great stuff, but I wonder if you can link to your Google Docs spreadsheet (it looks like you have it in that format), so we can either save it in our Docs or S/S.

Thanks!
Old 27-04-2012, 01:40   #9
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Great stuff, but I wonder if you can link to your Google Docs spreadsheet (it looks like you have it in that format), so we can either save it in our Docs or S/S.

Thanks!
Not quite what I was intending, but should now be able to open the doc in Excel (on own PC).

Old 27-04-2012, 06:40   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Not quite what I was intending, but should now be able to open the doc in Excel (on own PC).

Works great and thanks for the work and sharing!!