Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2020, 22:40   #136

Re: Prices coming down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamdigger View Post
Unfortunately most boat owners don't want to accept this as FACT. ANY thing one owns that requires continual maintenance is in fact a 'liability', be it a vehicle, boat, airplane, property, or even a horse!

All of these have 'costs' associated with their 'upkeep', hence they are'nt 'assets' until sold. In the meantime they all have 'costs' beyond an owner's control associated with them.

House/Land local, state and federal taxes can be raised if THEY want more out of your life.

Horse has to eat, cost of feed, board, etc is what then provider decides it is the day you pay.

Airplane, hanger, fuel, maintenance fees ditto.

Car/Boat, all aspects of maintenance costs are decided by someone else when it needs 'service'.

Limiting one's risk is Foresight, wishing you had sold the widget before the crash is Hindsight you did not have!
You can’t live you life expecting a return on every dime you made. Yup you better invest some for your long term needs. But how much of a return do you get taking a lady out on a date? How much of a return do you make taking holidays? Life is about spending and saving. Unfortunately boats have given me the most enjoyment per dollar than all the other money I spend, it’s money well spent. I have another expensive hobby you touched on and that’s flying and again unfortunately I really enjoy every dollar I spend on flying. There is a point coming in my life where I’m not going to have to worry about cutting back my spending, Mother Nature will look after that. And ya you need to have made enough and saved enough to be able to spend enough, lol.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 22:51   #137

Boat: St Francis 48Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
Its an important consideration that while quite a few do understand what our central banks have been up to the "average joe in the street" is blissfully unaware still.

Qantitative easing, unconventional monetary policy, whatever you want to call it is money printing.

If they ever wake up to it then thats when the calamities you mention will really take off as trust is lost in paper money again (or this time around in numbers on a computer screen)

Dont mind the US though your own bank of england has been very busy in this space too - 1.4 trillion pounds in just the last few months. Most people simply cannot imagine what a trillion is. The mental picture I like is that 1 trillion dollar bills stacked up would reach 1/4 of the way to the moon.

Since this crisis global central banks have created enough paper money to go to the moon and 2/3 of the way back again. In just a few months.

If anyone doesnt think that has created a tremendous amount of potential inflation (including in boats) then they simply havnt stopped and thought it through enough.

ie boats may go up in $ value once things settle down even in a recession. But really what is happening is the $s used to pay for it are crashing in value.

By the way to boat owners that aint so pretty either- got 100k for the marina bill or even more extreme a small army to keep the revolution from seizing it?

Interesting times ahead. Ignorance is probably bliss [emoji3]
Sorry i know this is off topic but can anyone answer me this as my son asked me and i dont know. In the UK a Billion is 1,000,000,000,000 (a million million) in the US its 1,000,000,000 or one thousand million.. do you call a Trillion a Thousand Billion or a Billion Billion? And why dont you call a Thousand Million a Thousand Million?
Heath68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 23:04   #138

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
You can’t live you life expecting a return on every dime you made. Yup you better invest some for your long term needs. But how much of a return do you get taking a lady out on a date? How much of a return do you make taking holidays? Life is about spending and saving. Unfortunately boats have given me the most enjoyment per dollar than all the other money I spend, it’s money well spent. I have another expensive hobby you touched on and that’s flying and again unfortunately I really enjoy every dollar I spend on flying. There is a point coming in my life where I’m not going to have to worry about cutting back my spending, Mother Nature will look after that. And ya you need to have made enough and saved enough to be able to spend enough, lol.[emoji2]
Agreed, you cant measure everything in economic value alone, money is meant to serve you, used well it can add value to ones life that numbers cant measure.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 23:21   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Agreed, you cant measure everything in economic value alone, money is meant to serve you, used well it can add value to ones life that numbers cant measure.
You will always reflect on your adventures Dale, you’ve done what few people have done. I know your not single handing but I read that many more people had climbed Mount Everest than had single handed around the world. I treasure all the years we have sailed and the people we have met, some still friends after well over 30 years and I expect you will have similar experiences.
By the way don’t be surprised to sell your home quickly, pretty common right now. We had planned to do what your thinking about, building a small efficient home..ended up not pulling it off, too many regulations in the area we wanted to live in..good luck in making that happen, it’s an excellent plan.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 04:28   #140
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
You can’t live you life expecting a return on every dime you made. Yup you better invest some for your long term needs. But how much of a return do you get taking a lady out on a date? How much of a return do you make taking holidays? Life is about spending and saving. Unfortunately boats have given me the most enjoyment per dollar than all the other money I spend, it’s money well spent. I have another expensive hobby you touched on and that’s flying and again unfortunately I really enjoy every dollar I spend on flying. There is a point coming in my life where I’m not going to have to worry about cutting back my spending, Mother Nature will look after that. And ya you need to have made enough and saved enough to be able to spend enough, lol.
This is a really great post. I can't agree more that boats have given me more bang for the buck than any other non-essential need I have. We have been fortunate to mix boating and travel together and added a ton of socialization.
Old 28-06-2020, 05:27   #141

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
This. Exactly.

The person you are responding to with this post is also missing a HUGE cost in their calculation: The cost of NOT sailing.

NOT owning a boat because you feel they are too expensive means someone else is spending their life doing what you can only dream of doing.

The cost of lost time sailing, traveling and living life is far, FAR more expensive than spending an extra $10,000 on a boat over what you think they should cost.

Life is finite. You don’t get more of it. You can’t earn more life. You can always get more money. So wasting your life by not living your dreams because you’re too cheap to get a boat at market value is the most expensive thing of all.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 06:29   #142

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

[QUOTE=Clamdigger;3173707]Oh, and I am seeing plenty of 'price reduced' boats on CL in New England states. Lots of free boats, some on trailers too! In this economy a wood boat is a true liability. Not many old timers left who recall those days and have the knowledge to maintain one, let alone buy one.

Classic plastic boats older than 1990 will also fire sale as insurance will be costly on older boats in the coming months/years.
Rather regretfully I have to resort to repetition in another post like multiple previous posts.

I am looking for some flavor of an fboat. While the bigger ones are over $US100,000 even a C3128 is often below that price point. A C24, C27, C28, and some of the F9xs are all below that price point. I have not seen any 'price reduced' fboats. Same goes for what I call quality multihulls. Sure every once in a while you see a super bargain, but they are few and far between. I have always asked for any links to deals on fboats and am doing so again; so far no takers.

Not saying there are not a lot of junk give away boats but most of them are classic examples the cheapest boat to buy is the most expensive boat to sail.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 07:54   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Is there a crack up boom?
......unprecedented times means we are all guessing.

......If you owned gold , bitcoin etc you would be very rich in Venezuela right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Maybe, but I wouldn't bet on it right now by playing the stock market bull. This global ****-storm is just getting started.

But as for boat prices, without proof, we all are just guessing but my guess is that the prices are going up on catamarans - not sure on mono's.
The economic situation is an interesting topic...Since we don't know what the players will do, we all sit around and accept the fate...In other words, we are not deciding monetary policy, we are playing the hand dealt....

W/O question, the CBs will try and shore up their financial situation. Whether civil unrest, war, or rabbit out of a hat, I'm not sure. But I don't take credit for my gains over this past cycle as money has just been handed out. For me, I just feel what's been handed out seems like a lot to many, but not enough to stem the tidal wave coming...Those that think they are middle class will realize how precarious their situation is... Look, I don't want to paint doom and gloom, but the Fed can't keep pumping money in, so at some point things are going to be pretty expensive. Either because inflation or loss of incomes.

Anyway, you mention BTC...I'm not a fan of fictitious electronic currency that can be arbitrarily manipulated. I'm surprised some gov'ts allowed it to take hold. It's a money launderers dream, but no controls for fiscal policy.

Personally, I simply wish they would let the markets go down instead of artificially propping them up. In other words, have minor tremors instead of a huge earthquake.
Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 04:48   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
This. Exactly.

The person you are responding to with this post is also missing a HUGE cost in their calculation: The cost of NOT sailing.

NOT owning a boat because you feel they are too expensive means someone else is spending their life doing what you can only dream of doing.

The cost of lost time sailing, traveling and living life is far, FAR more expensive than spending an extra $10,000 on a boat over what you think they should cost.

Life is finite. You don’t get more of it. You can’t earn more life. You can always get more money. So wasting your life by not living your dreams because you’re too cheap to get a boat at market value is the most expensive thing of all.
Glad you said this. I pulled the trigger finally and stopped trying to time stuff and get the best deal. I got a good deal I am happy with, more importantly, once things are lifted I can get out there!
ewishki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 09:47   #145

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Don't know if this applies to sailboats directly or catamarans, or global boat sales. But my local news station ran this story today 6/29/2020:

Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 10:05   #146

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
Don't know if this applies to sailboats directly or catamarans, or global boat sales. But my local news station ran this story today 6/29/2020:

Been saying this on this forum since April. Are people finally catching on?? Lol
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 03:45   #147

Boat: Catana 42

I am in the process of purchasing a Catana 42. There were two in the US that were coming on the market, neither made it to a broker and sold for asking price in a matter of weeks. Luckily for me, the purchaser of one of the boats was fairly tall and decided the Catana wasn't the boat for him, so I got a second chance and offered asking price. Everything I have seen says boats are selling quickly and are not discounted. This could all change, but right now I don't see any softness in the market. People with money still have money as the Fed is propping up asset values well beyond where they should be.
eddy52257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:33   #148
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Used to be San Francisco Bay, now PNW, soon to be the Caribbean
Boat: Jeanneau 43 DS and soon Leopard 45

We are also casually looking at upgrading our boat. Talking to some brokers here, looks like the boat market is good right now due to Covid-19 and the season. A few boats that were in the market also got pulled back, owners said they wanted to enjoy them during summer with everything going on before they put it on the market again (we talked to two of them and we feel it is genuine).

Brokers we talked to think that things could start changing after the season ends in September/October, and advised us to wait a bit and watch. Already having a boat and having the opportunity to wait is obviously advantageous.
Tenedos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:45   #149

Boat: Hanse 348

Just got an offer on my boat. 5 years old. 97% of my original purchase price. Broker told me that in the 25 -100k range boats are selling in days, the biggest issue is trying to get a surveyor to close quickly enough.

In the 250-500k range he said financing slows down transaction time, not the price.

Right now, boat prices are NOT coming down. He does not expect prices to come down in the fall, possibly next spring if vaccine/herd immunity occurs, and that might change low end market, but not mid high end. Most people with money don't just buy a 42' cat if they have never sailed before, they will buy a very tricked out RV instead. It is easy to drive that, not so easy to sail a large boat if you have never sailed before (might be different on large powerboats though). His statement on the situation.
jbinbi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:52   #150
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Used to be San Francisco Bay, now PNW, soon to be the Caribbean
Boat: Jeanneau 43 DS and soon Leopard 45

Is there any factual data coming from the charter market? Are they open? How are the charters? That part of the equation can have a visible impact on the supply side, particularly for catamarans.
Tenedos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
price