Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2020, 09:06   #151

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Re: Prices coming down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenedos View Post
Is there any factual data coming from the charter market? Are they open? How are the charters? That part of the equation can have a visible impact on the supply side, particularly for catamarans.
There has always been some distain for cats coming out of charter as opposed to an owners version. Not saying there is no connection between the two; just that folks looking for an owners version often will never consider the charter version.

Even when there is a big price difference between the two upgrading a charter version to something similar to an owners version can add enough to the cost that getting an owners version outright is usually cheaper.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:05   #152

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

We'd love to officially list our boat for sale, but nobody can get to us in the UK without a 14 day quarantine.... kind of limits your market I'm so jealous of you guys selling boats in the US right now!

Matt
Old 01-07-2020, 13:11   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
We'd love to officially list our boat for sale, but nobody can get to us in the UK without a 14 day quarantine.... kind of limits your market I'm so jealous of you guys selling boats in the US right now!

Matt
What is the Brexit story concerning vat ?

Can a European purchase your boat ?

I’ve asked a few brokers about this and have never received a written answer
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 13:28   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
What is the Brexit story concerning vat ?

Can a European purchase your boat ?

I’ve asked a few brokers about this and have never received a written answer

We'd happily sell to a European, but unfortunately they wouldn't be able to register or use it in the continent

While our hull was built in 1983, it wasn't in the EU when CE came into being and would need to go through the whole process to qualify ($$$). I think we need to sell to someone from outside the EU, who will register in their home country, and wants to sail European waters.

Matt
Old 01-07-2020, 13:35   #155

In general the sailboat market in Europe and the Uk is very depressed

I recently spoke to an broker in the UK and he has not sold a single sailboat this year

Only motorboats

Perhaps things change as the summer appears
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 14:25   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
In general the sailboat market in Europe and the Uk is very depressed

I recently spoke to an broker in the UK and he has not sold a single sailboat this year

Only motorboats

Perhaps things change as the summer appears
We did see quite a few sold signs around our marina in Plymouth, but I assume they must have been pending deals from before the COVID lockdown kicked in. Why else would anyone buy a boat when they couldn't even use it for day sailing until mid may?

July 4th we can finally start cruising these beautiful UK waters!

Matt
Old 01-07-2020, 16:22   #157
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
We did see quite a few sold signs around our marina in Plymouth, but I assume they must have been pending deals from before the COVID lockdown kicked in. Why else would anyone buy a boat when they couldn't even use it for day sailing until mid may?

July 4th we can finally start cruising these beautiful UK waters!

Matt

How did the UK pick July 4th? Independence
Day?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 18:08   #158

Boat: between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
There has always been some distain for cats coming out of charter as opposed to an owners version. Not saying there is no connection between the two; just that folks looking for an owners version often will never consider the charter version.

Even when there is a big price difference between the two upgrading a charter version to something similar to an owners version can add enough to the cost that getting an owners version outright is usually cheaper.
yes its an elastic linkage between charter and owner version cats in particular. more so than monos.

But it is linked and all the risk is of charter cats falling off a cliff just like the rest of the international tourism market. I reckon if it goes that way the rubber band is gonna be stretched to breaking point.

Cat prices have moved down in the med led by early discounting of charter cats in croatia and greece around 10 to 15% anecdotally. OVs were 5 to 10%. They found buyers though so we are still in a waiting pattern imho.

if charter numbers dont return then we will see the impact start to snowball.
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 18:17   #159

Boat: between boats
Thumbs up Re: Prices coming down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy52257 View Post
I am in the process of purchasing a Catana 42. There were two in the US that were coming on the market, neither made it to a broker and sold for asking price in a matter of weeks. Luckily for me, the purchaser of one of the boats was fairly tall and decided the Catana wasn't the boat for him, so I got a second chance and offered asking price. Everything I have seen says boats are selling quickly and are not discounted. This could all change, but right now I don't see any softness in the market. People with money still have money as the Fed is propping up asset values well beyond where they should be.
Well done on finally getting your boat! Catana more owner version than the other big production cats so a safer buy than say a lagoon right now. Yeah you probably paid more than you would have in Europe but you can avoid all the logistical problems that trying to sail around the med this summer will bring too.
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 11:10   #160

Not from the feedback i'm getting it's pretty mixed.
Catamaransforsale.com sent 3 emails and no responses.
Yet I am noticing more and more videos of owners making them to sell their boats and the owners respond very quickly.
Grimgrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 19:38   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
This. Exactly.

The person you are responding to with this post is also missing a HUGE cost in their calculation: The cost of NOT sailing.

NOT owning a boat because you feel they are too expensive means someone else is spending their life doing what you can only dream of doing.

The cost of lost time sailing, traveling and living life is far, FAR more expensive than spending an extra $10,000 on a boat over what you think they should cost.

Life is finite. You don’t get more of it. You can’t earn more life. You can always get more money. So wasting your life by not living your dreams because you’re too cheap to get a boat at market value is the most expensive thing of all.
Chotu, I am not missing anything...I've been sailing 4-5 times a week, weather permitting, for the past 3 years INVITED onto other people's boats. It may have something to do with a half circumnavigation I did singlehanded when I was younger; or the 7 boats I have owned over my 40+ years SPENT SAILING.

I don't own a boat currently because I have a particular British model in mind that has'nt reached US shores yet. I spoke with an owner on LI (NY) that bought one sight unseen and had it freighted over. After hearing his horror story about the hassles of importing and shipping costs I decided to save my coin for something else. I'll know it when I see it out sailing.

I agree with your sentiments, they just don't apply to my personal situation. You should have come down to AH (NJ) when you left Liberty. I would have showed you around and you could see how 'bad off' I am Maybe when you sell your covid cruiser you can stop on in on your way back home. If you are bored with slide shows, then maybe not, because many of my sailing years were done when I used a 35mm camera and had slides processed from my trips. Going to find someone to 'digitize them' in the future
Old 20-07-2020, 19:40   #162

[QUOTE=tomfl;3173852]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamdigger View Post
Oh, and I am seeing plenty of 'price reduced' boats on CL in New England states. Lots of free boats, some on trailers too! In this economy a wood boat is a true liability. Not many old timers left who recall those days and have the knowledge to maintain one, let alone buy one.

Classic plastic boats older than 1990 will also fire sale as insurance will be costly on older boats in the coming months/years.
Rather regretfully I have to resort to repetition in another post like multiple previous posts.

I am looking for some flavor of an fboat. While the bigger ones are over $US100,000 even a C3128 is often below that price point. A C24, C27, C28, and some of the F9xs are all below that price point. I have not seen any 'price reduced' fboats. Same goes for what I call quality multihulls. Sure every once in a while you see a super bargain, but they are few and far between. I have always asked for any links to deals on fboats and am doing so again; so far no takers.

Not saying there are not a lot of junk give away boats but most of them are classic examples the cheapest boat to buy is the most expensive boat to sail.
1993 f24mk1 in cali on sb'listings for under $30k. But I think you are looking to buy one in EU, so that won't work for you will it?
Old 20-07-2020, 19:45   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boat Guy View Post
The economic situation is an interesting topic...Since we don't know what the players will do, we all sit around and accept the fate...In other words, we are not deciding monetary policy, we are playing the hand dealt....

W/O question, the CBs will try and shore up their financial situation. Whether civil unrest, war, or rabbit out of a hat, I'm not sure. But I don't take credit for my gains over this past cycle as money has just been handed out. For me, I just feel what's been handed out seems like a lot to many, but not enough to stem the tidal wave coming...Those that think they are middle class will realize how precarious their situation is... Look, I don't want to paint doom and gloom, but the Fed can't keep pumping money in, so at some point things are going to be pretty expensive. Either because inflation or loss of incomes.

Anyway, you mention BTC...I'm not a fan of fictitious electronic currency that can be arbitrarily manipulated. I'm surprised some gov'ts allowed it to take hold. It's a money launderers dream, but no controls for fiscal policy.

Personally, I simply wish they would let the markets go down instead of artificially propping them up. In other words, have minor tremors instead of a huge earthquake.
I agree with your assessment and am watching to see what unfolds in 90 days time in the USA. That will be the 'catalyst' that destroys fiat banking forever....as THEY have planned. We 'middle class' must decide to take a different turn/path it's our last chance to recover the Republic as it was created by The Founders of our Country.
Old 20-07-2020, 21:02   #164

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

[QUOTE=Clamdigger;3190679]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post

1993 f24mk1 in cali on sb'listings for under $30k. But I think you are looking to buy one in EU, so that won't work for you will it?
I have seen early 90s models in Florida for less than that and that is where I live. I also have seen some other interesting boats on the West Coast but trailering a boat across country is not free, not to mention the time and effort. I probably have seen ads for that boat and did not really think it was that great a deal for an almost 30 year old boat.

There have been real improvements in the newer fboats with bigger amas forward and improved folding systems. While I was looking in the EU COVID-19 put an end to that; at least for a few years. Bottom line is I am not seeing any great reduction in fboat prices. There is a C36 in Maryland that has been for sale for months and the price has not budged.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2020, 15:09   #165

Tom, I realize that later model Fboats have the improvements you noted. I had an interest in an F 22 until I found out I'd have to build it myself. That was when it was first announced mny years ago. I then looked at the F24 MK1 with cbd, but like yourself saw prices I did not want to pay.

I went out West looking for a trailerable boat all the way from NJ last Fall. Unfortunately the 3 I went to look at were in poorer condition than advertised. I would have then had to buy a tow vehicle to bring one back, which I was prepared to do, but never found the boat. There are some F boats at Lake Havasu AZ, and on some of the NM Lakes.

I changed my mind on getting a MK1, and now am waiting for a mono I want to come on the market.

Tags
price