Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2020, 03:41   #31

Boat: St. Francis 44 mkII
Re: Prices coming down?

I see no reason why prices should come down.. the supply of catamarans is less than the demand and has been for a while.. don’t believe me? Walk into a dealer and just pick one from their lot....
Mystic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2020, 17:22   #32

Boat: between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic38 View Post
I see no reason why prices should come down.. the supply of catamarans is less than the demand and has been for a while.. don’t believe me? Walk into a dealer and just pick one from their lot....
Yes cats in particular have had a very bouyant time for awhile now

But thats all changed. Dont believe me? Call up a charter operator who are by far the largest cat purchaser as a group and ask them how their charter books look for the next 12 months and beyond...
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2020, 18:02   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
That video is a joke

The talking head is s snake oil salesman

Survey for 150 or 200 dollars ????

I just had a 50 footer surveyed and it was 4700 dollars

Well, that's way too high! Where on earth was this done? Did you have to fly the surveyor in, put him up in a hotel, or what?
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2020, 18:09   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
That video is a joke

The talking head is s snake oil salesman

Survey for 150 or 200 dollars ????

I just had a 50 footer surveyed and it was 4700 dollars

Actually, living in the Caribbean and working in the industry, I can tell you he has a lot of good points.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 19:36   #35

Prices on many bigger catamarans dropped a lot already...on some models like 1/3 or close to that. But due to stupid governments this lifestyle farther than ever...
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 19:41   #36
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Used to be San Francisco Bay, now PNW, soon to be the Caribbean
Boat: Jeanneau 43 DS and soon Leopard 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchero76 View Post
Prices on many bigger catamarans dropped a lot already...on some models like 1/3 or close to that. But due to stupid governments this lifestyle farther than ever...
Hi Ranchero, I have been keeping an eye on Yacht World but haven't noticed much decrease. How/where do you see these?
Tenedos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 19:52   #37

Boat: Hanse 348

Production in France is completely shuttered. So nothing new is coming off the line. I would think used boats in good condition to get a premium, or at least be selling for what they were 6 months ago. Most people who could afford a 500k boat are not out off the market if the price is 550. I think that is more the case if the boat was 70 vs. 100.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 20:05   #38

YachtWorld and few other websites:

Right now it's more related to higher price range.

**Lagoon 560 - $699k make an offer - never seen 560 at this price listed. Few others in this price range too.
**Sunreef 58 - $899k - never seen 58 listed anywhere close to this price
**Few Lagoons 620 under 1M and strong feeling that sellers will come down easily - huge boat, useless for most but nevertheless
**Few Leopard 58 under 1M, one listed at 799K (2019!). Not particularly cheap, but never seen few of them at once on the market in this price range. In this case one of the sellers will want to sell it sooner, so will be dropping price further.
**Lagoon 570 $305K. Not dirt cheap but could be considered affordable in old times.
*FP Sanya 57 $632K - never seen one listed at this price either

Many more cats which would be considered "affordable" just couple years ago, but now they're just a pictures on the screen. Who needs a boat which can not be used almost anywhere?
Border crossing will never be the same. Welcome to the concentration camps created by governments.
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 07:07   #39

Boat: Hanse 348

I think it really depends upon the seller. If you own a boat in charter for the income and need that income for payments to keep the boat, given that you might not get charters for a year in this environment you might be thinking if you can sell at a price above the remaining principal, take the deal.

If you are selling an owners version, you might be able to hold out.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 18:09   #40

Boat: between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
I think it really depends upon the seller. If you own a boat in charter for the income and need that income for payments to keep the boat, given that you might not get charters for a year in this environment you might be thinking if you can sell at a price above the remaining principal, take the deal.

If you are selling an owners version, you might be able to hold out.
You just described over 2/3s of the near new cat market in your first paragraph which is why I am so bearish cats in particular.

Its been the most bouyant section of the boat market for about 4 or 5 years but a bursting here will ripple through the rest of the market make no mistake. Just in slow motion.
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 08:30   #41

Boat: Fountaine Pajot / Venezia 42

I just saw some new (2020) catamarans (also monohulls) for sale in Spain by Catamaran Center broker that are cheaper than equivalent ones from 2016 advertised in Yachtworld.
scargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2020, 16:36   #42

Boat: Costco boogie board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
You just described over 2/3s of the near new cat market in your first paragraph which is why I am so bearish cats in particular.

Its been the most bouyant section of the boat market for about 4 or 5 years but a bursting here will ripple through the rest of the market make no mistake. Just in slow motion.

Seems like back in 2009 folks were abandoning boats at one point. This article represents the thinking that this will be the case again. Who can really say?

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/wh...s-will-crash-0
Kimo_Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 09:52   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: FP Maldives

I would like to know where are all these abandoned boats so that i can have a spare, can you point out?
riki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 10:32   #44

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by riki View Post
I would like to know where are all these abandoned boats so that i can have a spare, can you point out?
Me too. I keep posting the same thing. I am looking for some flavor of an fboat ranging from a C24 MkI to a C36 including fboats from Farrier. Been doing it for a couple of years. Since I have a Seawind cat I am in no hurry and the key for me is a killer deal.

When I see posts about million dollar boats going for three quarters of a million now I am not sure what to make of it since knowing if advertised boat prices are hard or soft; less yet what shape the advertised boat is in.

I get it that fboats can be put on a trailer and stored for next to nothing so there is less motivation on the sellers part; which is to some extent why I want one.

Not saying there will not be a significant price drop as time passes; just that so far I have not seen it. And I am not holding my breath.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 11:59   #45

Boat: Costco boogie board

Quote:
Originally Posted by riki View Post

If you read the article, and are swayed by it's premise, then the correct question is not "where" but rather "when".

Kimo
Marooned on Maui
Kimo_Kai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
price