Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2020, 06:04   #91

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: Prices coming down?

My recently sold camper was in the low end category but it sold to the first person. i got tired of lugging that 2 1/2ton lead weight around. So I built an 800# cabover camper for my truck. I want to do some extensive hiking in the mountains this summer and this will be way easier.
So back to boats. I think there will be a correction first on cats in the med in the fall and then the Caribe in the spring. I see some deals in the Med now. Try the YW search with recent price drop filter.
Old 18-06-2020, 06:15   #92

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

I seem to keep posting the same thing. Looking for a good deal on an fboat. Have not seen any real change in their prices. Cheap C24 m1 around $US20k to $US150k for the C37. No real change. I did see better deals in the EU but that is the exchange rate
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 06:18   #93
Marine Service Provider

Boat: FP Maldives

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
I seem to keep posting the same thing. Looking for a good deal on an fboat. Have not seen any real change in their prices. Cheap C24 m1 around $US20k to $US150k for the C37. No real change. I did see better deals in the EU but that is the exchange rate
Exactly!
But it might be possible to find some better deals specially for bigger charter vessels due to a poor/weak summer season business wise and not all companies will afford that. Maybe.
riki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 07:17   #94

Quote:
What's more important - getting the boat you want now, or finding that bargain that you can brag about? I mean, getting both would be awesome, but in the final analysis, every day you wait is one less day spent enjoying it.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 07:32   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Look, I was one of the naysayers based largely on experience during the 2008 housing-crisis fueled bust. Maybe it is a time-will-tell scenario, but also possible that the current trend is indeed different: in 2008, everyone who had a mortgage was clipped hard and the ripple effects into many sectors was deep (FinServ, Consumer, etc.). Very broad based whack to the system. COVID-driven economic impact has been more selective. Many higher paying jobs are transferable to remote working. Unemployment has decimated lower-paying jobs in the service sector. Target market for RV/Yachts in the $200k range have mostly kept their jobs, reduced their expenses, are afraid to take their annual vacations to Disneyworld or Lake of Ozarks (whatever), and have access to very low cost borrowing. Buying a boat/RV suddenly makes a lot of sense to a relatively unaffected group of people with a decent net-worth.
Our financial adviser is saying the same thing basically about the economy - that the lockdown was a quick, artificial throttling of demand that is now being released, and that the government responses this time have been quicker and better targeted than in 2008/9. This reasoning seems to be supported by the current optimism in the stock market. And of course as you note, the people who could consider a $100k+ boat (or RV) have not been affected nearly as much.

I've seen a lot of low-end smaller sailboats this spring at clearout prices... could be a good opportunity for 1st-time boat buyers who are handy. We started with a $3k boat 14 years ago.
Old 18-06-2020, 07:56   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
What's more important - getting the boat you want now, or finding that bargain that you can brag about? I mean, getting both would be awesome, but in the final analysis, every day you wait is one less day spent enjoying it.
Putting aside there is a difference between want and need, currently I have a Prindle 18-2 which is great for day sailing and a Seawind which I would love to be enjoying. Problem is most of this cruising season was overwhelmed by COVID-19. So I am basically looking for a folding tri to keep in Europe and cruise the canals and a little bit in the Med during hurricane season and then return to Florida to cruise the Keys and Bahamas in season.
Old 18-06-2020, 07:59   #97
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Used to be San Francisco Bay, now PNW, soon to be the Caribbean
Boat: Jeanneau 43 DS and soon Leopard 45

Quote:
The same here. I have been looking for a good deal on a SeaWind 1160 (or even better a 1260, which is more wishful thinking) but I guess the problem is trying to find a deal on a specific boat model, it is much harder than opportunistically finding a good deal on a variety of different boat models.
Tenedos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 12:00   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenedos View Post
The same here. I have been looking for a good deal on a SeaWind 1160 (or even better a 1260, which is more wishful thinking) but I guess the problem is trying to find a deal on a specific boat model, it is much harder than opportunistically finding a good deal on a variety of different boat models.
Very few Seawinds of any flavor compared to the number of fboats of any flavor. The C24 Mk1 and Mk2 were the most popular production tris from what I have read. Both Seawinds and fboats seem to hold their value really well.
Old 18-06-2020, 18:43   #99

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Some buyers may only have one shot, due to their timely/financial/private/professional situation. For them it is very important to wait for and hopefully find that one shot, meeting timely and financial matters.

I would consider myself such a buyer. Conseqently i am monitoring offered boats, prices, development of such and special offers very, closely.

I could buy now and enjoy. However, that could ruin my 10 year plan completely.

So i keep my patience and hope for the best...

John
Old 18-06-2020, 18:56   #100

Sorry for off topic, but I keep seeing the term 'fboat' in this thread and others, and googled it, and can't find a definition? Can someone enlighten me?
danedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 19:02   #101

Boat: between boats

Quote:
Putting aside there is a difference between want and need, currently I have a Prindle 18-2 which is great for day sailing and a Seawind which I would love to be enjoying. Problem is most of this cruising season was overwhelmed by COVID-19. So I am basically looking for a folding tri to keep in Europe and cruise the canals and a little bit in the Med during hurricane season and then return to Florida to cruise the Keys and Bahamas in season.
There are ALOT of boats in Europe that would fit that brief mate. Maybe you should widen your search a bit.
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 19:05   #102

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by danedee View Post
Sorry for off topic, but I keep seeing the term 'fboat' in this thread and others, and googled it, and can't find a definition? Can someone enlighten me?
Farrier Trimaran.... and Corsair (Farrier designed) too

Matt
Old 18-06-2020, 19:53   #103
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

I doubt you will see a change in the market. The US government alone just pumped $10 TRILLION (counting FED) into the economy. Add to that what the rest of the world printed and it becomes an astronomical amount of free cash. There's so much money floating around it's crazy. That's why the S&P is trading at 20x future earnings. What are your options? Zero interest rates, no safe havens including muni's and bonds that make any $. So if you have it, and so many do, you might as well buy something and RV's and boats make perfect sense right now.

We are playing the game "musical chairs" where everyone is dancing around in a circle, the music never stops, and no one has noticed that all the chairs have been removed.

Anyway, just look at all the posters here. I doubt you will find one that will say they have been seriously negatively affected financially. Contrast that to 2008 where I didn't know anyone who wasn't affected.
Old 18-06-2020, 20:10   #104

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Farrier Trimaran.... and Corsair (Farrier designed) too

Matt
danedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 20:22   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscis View Post
Some buyers may only have one shot, due to their timely/financial/private/professional situation. For them it is very important to wait for and hopefully find that one shot, meeting timely and financial matters.

I would consider myself such a buyer. Conseqently i am monitoring offered boats, prices, development of such and special offers very, closely.

I could buy now and enjoy. However, that could ruin my 10 year plan completely.

So i keep my patience and hope for the best...

John

God laughs at long-term plans. I mean... how much has changed for just about everyone since March, right? What if this was the year you had been planning for?

Best wishes anyway; I hope your plans work out.

Tags
price