Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2020, 11:51   #16

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Privilege 435, 465

I do not know about maintenance. I outsource this part ;-)

I think Privilege is the better boat, but unlikely significantly faster.

How fast or slow is YOURS will depend on your sailing skills, clean hull, folding props, type and condition of the sails and then on how hard you drive. Any boat can only go that fast and most of the time we opt, or are forced to, sail way slower than the top speeds shown (for flat water) in any diagram.

Sure thing a Privilege cat is fast enough. And not slower than comparable LWL cats of FP/Leopard or Lagoon of the same era.

If you have a preference for FAST, then, I think, you test ride that Outremer.

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 12:16   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I do not know about maintenance. I outsource this part ;-)

I think Privilege is the better boat, but unlikely significantly faster.

How fast or slow is YOURS will depend on your sailing skills, clean hull, folding props, type and condition of the sails and then on how hard you drive. Any boat can only go that fast and most of the time we opt, or are forced to, sail way slower than the top speeds shown (for flat water) in any diagram.

Sure thing a Privilege cat is fast enough. And not slower than comparable LWL cats of FP/Leopard or Lagoon of the same era.

If you have a preference for FAST, then, I think, you test ride that Outremer.

barnakiel
I am a monohull guy, sailing on a 50 ft mono. I don't wanna be slower than that for sure.
alsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 12:38   #18

Boat: a sailing boat

There is a vast speed span between a 50' mono and a 50' mono.

A JP54 is very fast 50' mono.
A HR49 is a slow mono.

And there are also boats above and below this bracket.

Cruising cats are not about speed. They are for comfort and space.

If you have a well performing 50' mono, neither Privilege will do. If you have a slow mono, both Privs may turn out faster.

You need to try. Sailing experience on a cat is very very different from that of a mono.

Speed is a very bad advisor in boat choice. Many very fast boats are not very comfortable.

Imho the only way to get both more speed and more comfort & space is to get a longer boat. AOTS

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 01:25   #19

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsail View Post
I am a monohull guy, sailing on a 50 ft mono. I don't wanna be slower than that for sure.
Don't know where you are based but my old boat is up for sale in Florida. Massively updated since I sold!

I see from your previous posts that you were looking at Amel Super Maramu. Don't know whether you got one or not. The Amel was going to be my retirement boat before I discovered Privilege. Very different I know but both intended for the same purpose. If you are living aboard and maybe going long distances comfort and safety are far more important than speed.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 01:51   #20

Indeed , that is what I have, I need 3 cabins as we are 4 adults, so Amel is not what we need anymore....
Old 08-06-2020, 13:10   #21

Jeannius I see you have a lot of experience on 435. Seem like you took her to a lot of rougher places. How does the hull stand out to time? U think buying a 2003 model will create any problems with hull integrity ? Not talking about motors, electronics, rigging, these will be the same as for any other boat.
And if you don't mind, why did you choose this boat?
Old 09-06-2020, 01:36   #22

I bought from new in 2002. I looked at all the cat major manufacturers and basically didn't like the look and feel of most of them. Of course this was way back in 2001 and there wasn't the choice there is now. The Privilege just felt very solid and well built with fit and finish being excellent, even in the less visible places. On one of the other manufacturer's boats I went aboard you could see light coming through the hull when I climbed down into the bow locker. I felt similarly good about Catana but I didn't like the helm position. I always intended to sail long distances and I like the helm to be in a good, protected position (that's one of the reasons I liked the Amel!). I know you don't actually spend much time at the helm on long passages but when you do need to be at the helm it is usually bad conditions and I didn't want to be out at an exposed corner of the boat at that time. So the Catana was dropped from the short list.

As I mentioned earlier, just spotted that my old boat is up for sale in Florida, St Augustine... https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/2...5-ezc-3669095/

Hull integrity... The hull is an extremely strong structure. My boat didn't creak or squeak at all even after 12 years including a circumnavigation. I've been aboard a boat from the producers you mentioned earlier that creaked at anchor! The core of the hull is foam so if water gets in it doesn't rot the way a balsa core can. There are good number of early 90s Privileges still around and I've not heard of any structural problems. The only common problem is interior water damage to the woodwork, which is of course easy to spot. This generally occurs around the base of the salon windows and around the bottom of fridge and freezers. Water gets behind the veneer and it goes black. You can't get rid of that, you have to have the veneer sanded back and a new bit put on top. Works surprisingly well and not too expensive.

The guy I sold to replaced just about EVERYTHING of consequence, sails, engines, saildrives, mast and boom off and repainted, interior refresh. Basically it is a 2014 boat in an earlier hull.

Old 09-06-2020, 02:02   #23

Thank you
Old 12-06-2020, 14:14   #24

Hi Jeannius. Can you please tell me how do you see the small trampoline area from a safety point of view? I know the bigger the trampoline, the better. I can see the difference between a Leopard 44 and a Outremer 45. The trampoline is huge on Outremer, The Leopard's is very small and there is a foot well in front. Privilege has a very interesting design, looks like "the third hull" will add buoyancy to stop nose diving. What is real life experience from that point of view?
Old 12-06-2020, 14:18   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannius View Post
I bought from new in 2002. I looked at all the cat major manufacturers and basically didn't like the look and feel of most of them. Of course this was way back in 2001 and there wasn't the choice there is now. The Privilege just felt very solid and well built with fit and finish being excellent, even in the less visible places. On one of the other manufacturer's boats I went aboard you could see light coming through the hull when I climbed down into the bow locker. I felt similarly good about Catana but I didn't like the helm position. I always intended to sail long distances and I like the helm to be in a good, protected position (that's one of the reasons I liked the Amel!). I know you don't actually spend much time at the helm on long passages but when you do need to be at the helm it is usually bad conditions and I didn't want to be out at an exposed corner of the boat at that time. So the Catana was dropped from the short list.

As I mentioned earlier, just spotted that my old boat is up for sale in Florida, St Augustine... https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/2...5-ezc-3669095/

Hull integrity... The hull is an extremely strong structure. My boat didn't creak or squeak at all even after 12 years including a circumnavigation. I've been aboard a boat from the producers you mentioned earlier that creaked at anchor! The core of the hull is foam so if water gets in it doesn't rot the way a balsa core can. There are good number of early 90s Privileges still around and I've not heard of any structural problems. The only common problem is interior water damage to the woodwork, which is of course easy to spot. This generally occurs around the base of the salon windows and around the bottom of fridge and freezers. Water gets behind the veneer and it goes black. You can't get rid of that, you have to have the veneer sanded back and a new bit put on top. Works surprisingly well and not too expensive.

The guy I sold to replaced just about EVERYTHING of consequence, sails, engines, saildrives, mast and boom off and repainted, interior refresh. Basically it is a 2014 boat in an earlier hull.
I understand they are solid fiberglass bellow water line? The decks are foam cored too?
Old 13-06-2020, 01:03   #26

The smaller trampolines and substantial nacelle work very well in my opinion. The nets are big enough and open enough to let water through and the nacelle does provide extra buoyancy to help bring the bow up. It's not like the central structure on a Prout which does almost touch the water.

Earlier generations might have been solid below the waterline but the 435 is foam cored everywhere. There are areas of solid structure below the waterline where the through-hulls are located and of course the saildrives. You can easily see the solid areas so if you need to install extra through-hulls you can do.

Tags
privilege