Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2021, 15:29   #46

Re: Probably a Dumb Question: Why Are Edel Cats So Inexpensive ?

There is no way to win on a small cat with a bridge deck cabin.... you will either have excessive windage or inadequate bridge deck clearance.... That is if you insist on having a stand up cabin. I don't consider that necessary... You can stand up in the hulls, and the cockpit, etc. The cabin can be a sit down affair. Windage is a lot of why cats have a reputation for not sailing close to the wind. Small cats compromise both, and there is simply no way around it. It's the reason there are still many open deck cats sailing.
The FP Maldives hit the sweet spot with it's pop top.... you can open the pop top and have walking height, and on most downwind points of sail windage isn't much of an issue anyway. Below is a photo of the interior of an Edel 35. It's obvious that it is designed so you have standing height in the pod. You can clearly see the dropped section in the center designed to facilitate the galley up.... it is a slight V bottom, but not enough to prevent pounding. If that portion were replaced with flat floor, the settees would have to be higher, and you would have sitting & stooping height only.... and the galley would need to go below for practical purposes. Responsible designers of small cats designed for ocean crossing simply do not provide standing height in most cases. Richard Woods Gypsy has a small boat shaped well aft that is carefully designed to slice through the waves and minimize any slapping and pounding, but it is well aft, and quite small. It is there only to allow the cook to stand, and owners say it works. The well in the Edel is broad and flat, and extends further forward than it should. I think you can design to slice and deflect the waves that would slap if you keep the well small and as far aft, and you focus on that objective more than on having a luxurious flat floor. Galley up just doesn't make a lot of sense in a sub 40' cat IMHO. This is a job for a sawzall!!

owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2021, 16:02   #47

Boat: Grampian 26
Re: Probably a dumb question, why are Edel cats so inexpensive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Thanks. Old and not well known isn't a negative, as I am also.
[emoji471]best answer yet!
Fair winds on your new to you girl [emoji569]
Nauticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 14:06   #48

Boat: Edel 33

I am in the process of purchasing an Edel 33. We are having a hard time finding the Hull Number. The boat has been painted and the number was probably painted over. Any Edel have an idea of where to look?

Thanks in advance!!!
paddlesandsails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 14:24   #49

Starboard upper transom, take high power light on the inside transom, try to look through the glass on the outside, if you can find one number you might be able to sand back
multihuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 14:45   #50

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2021, 16:15   #51
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by multihuler View Post
Starboard upper transom, take high power light on the inside transom, try to look through the glass on the outside, if you can find one number you might be able to sand back

Core or no?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 23:57   #52

My Edel 35 is still for sale...need that $$$ for DP for a nice TRT or something ;-)

see sailboat listings...
multi-hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 04:47   #53

Interesting. Can't find it in your link although.
zwergje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 08:39   #54

I send you a message through sailboat listings. Give me a call
Old 04-03-2021, 15:14   #55

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/86498
multi-hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 19:17   #56

Boat: EDELCAT33

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlesandsails View Post
I am in the process of purchasing an Edel 33. We are having a hard time finding the Hull Number. The boat has been painted and the number was probably painted over. Any Edel have an idea of where to look?

Thanks in advance!!!

I have an EDELCAT33. I could never find the hull number either. After that I forgot to look for it.
Try the French web site and ask questions there
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 19:39   #57

Boat: EDELCAT33

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
I thought if I wanted to double my cruising kitty, then I would have to halve the purchase price. I'm seeing a lot of Edel cats that are in fact 1/2 of what I was going to spend, please folks, tell me the reason.

If you are in the US probably you never heard of The Edel name. French, like many brands went out of business or got rebranded. Hint... look at the Aventura brand name.
The boats were designed to be taken apart, stuff into a container and send to cruising grounds for the rental trade. they are what they are. I like the one I have, is a 33 which was the first model. The 35 is basically a stretched 33 with higher clearance and the cuddy cabin is about two ft taller. These boats were made to keep them light and simple. In today’s, expectation of having generators, water makers, air conditions, big accesible berths... well this is not the boat for that. You keep it light and is somewhat fast. Add a code zero or screeched and the boat just galops. If you are looking for comfort, not at all comparable to modern catamarans. I will say safety wise, the passageway between the hulls and the cuddy cabin makes this a very safe boat in rough water. I keep a series drogue and also tired and chain rope combination in case you need to slow it down on a big blow.
Overall is a fast Spartan boat
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote