Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2019, 00:33   #1

Prout 33cs. I need any information

I've just acquired a 1988 Prout 33cs from someone who gutted the inside intending to refurbish, then ran out of steam and sold to me. All the interior wiring has been snipped. Job for an electrician. The plumbing really confuses me. I'm trying to work out where the water tanks are. There's a pvc water bag forward in the heads compartment. I put a hose in the two water inlets on deck and pumped 20/30 liters in but none seems to have gone into the bag in the heads and on the starboard side it's all gone straight into the keel.
It's a lovely cat which I'm excited about finishing and getting on the water. I'm in Larnaca Cyprus. Any information would help. Please email anything you can offer. Is there somewhere I can buy a Prout owners manual?
Eric.martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 00:58   #2

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
Re: Prout 33cs. I need any information

That PVC bag was probably the owner's idea of a holding tank. Be thankful you didn't get any water out of there.

The two water tanks are in the mini keels. So under the floor and bilge. There are built into the hull. If you lift up the flooring you should see some pipework. If you are super lucky, you might even have some access hatches.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 01:07   #3

Thanks Mike. I’ll go looking. But why would all the water I hosed in on the galley side have just gone loose in the keel. Any ideas?
Old 23-03-2019, 01:28   #4

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric.martin View Post
Thanks Mike. I’ll go looking. But why would all the water I hosed in on the galley side have just gone loose in the keel. Any ideas?
It shouldn't be loose in the keel. The Keel IS the water tank, though it should have some baffels to stop the water sloshing around.

Perhaps take some photos of the boat to show us what you are seeing.

Also if you are on Facebook, there is a Prout Owners group there, with lots of information and friendly people to help.

I have attached a document by a Prout Snowgoose owner who renovated his integral tanks. If you take a look it should help you understand the setup a bit more.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Building Intregral Watertanks.pdf (428.7 KB, 101 views)
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 05:42   #5

Thanks again Mike. I’ll take some pics in next few days. Appreciate your help. Thanks for the file.
Old 23-03-2019, 12:08   #6

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric.martin View Post
Sounds like you need some coaching on basic boat systems. I would ask around and try to find a knowledgeable person to give you some advice. There also is a lot on YouTube. Good luck, nice boat.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 13:31   #7

Yes you’re probably right. Not many ‘go to’ people here in Larnaca marina. Unlike old cars it’s hard to find a workshop manual for boats whose manufacturers have closed down. I checked the keels and lo and behold I now understand how the water storage works. They need a good clean!
Old 23-03-2019, 17:54   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

This is a great opportunity to convert into what you want rather than duplicate what the builder decided. Get a copy of Nigel Calders boat owners electrical and mechanical maintenance book.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 23:50   #9

Thank you. Appreciate any suggestions you might have in mind. The Prout has been out of the water for 14 years. Haven’t even started thinking about electrics or equipment. There’s a bunch of items. I haven’t checked if they’re working. I’ve been steadily replacing floor covering and checking the water works/plumbing. There is radar and a large Cetrek box. Big learning curve for me. I’ve had a 30’ sloop, a Heavenly Twins and an Oceanic 30 but most I’ve sailed are many coastal trips up and down the south coast. I intend living on this one for a while and traveling Israel, Greek Islands etc.
Old 24-03-2019, 00:00   #10

I just read the file you sent. That guy did a really good job.